same old same old... the Tyres Question

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
Mighty Mariner
On the Road

Re: same old same old... the Tyres Question

Post by Mighty Mariner »

Did Germany in the wet solo on diamond maxxis and found them ok, however when opening the throttle banked over back end slides out unnervingly until the tyre is completely warmed.
Not as confident as Bridgestone BT016s but lasting longer and no falling off......yet.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing
Araf
On the Road

Post by Araf »

Araf wrote:55 years agoI've just had a pair of Conti Road Attacks (thats what are already on the bike) delivered.

If I get my act together, I might just have to fit them tomorrow...
Well, I was going to fit them today, and got scuppered before I started. Whos idea was it to use a 28mm nut on the end of the rear axle? :doh:

Socket now ordered, so it may be done during the week....
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

Araf wrote:55 years ago
Araf wrote:55 years agoI've just had a pair of Conti Road Attacks (thats what are already on the bike) delivered.

If I get my act together, I might just have to fit them tomorrow...
Well, I was going to fit them today, and got scuppered before I started. Whos idea was it to use a 28mm nut on the end of the rear axle? :doh:

Socket now ordered, so it may be done during the week....
I have a large metric adjustable spanner for situations like that.

I do have a couple of smaller adjustables but they are both imperial, so not much use on the bike :D
152/999
Araf
On the Road

Post by Araf »

Miz wrote:55 years agoI do have a couple of smaller adjustables but they are both imperial, so not much use on the bike :D
:lol:

I did try to use my adjustable, but unfortunately it's only for left hand threads. :oops:
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

Araf wrote:55 years ago
Miz wrote:55 years agoI do have a couple of smaller adjustables but they are both imperial, so not much use on the bike :D
:lol:

I did try to use my adjustable, but unfortunately it's only for left hand threads. :oops:
But if you stand on the other side of the bike then your left handed adjustable would have worked .. its a bit of a stretch but worth remembering in an crisis :tada: Also again in an emergency you can grind the jaws of an inperial adjustable to fit the metric nuts HTH xx
Twisted Tequila Sister
weirdo
On the Road

Post by weirdo »

It's much easier if you turn the bike upside down and use a glass hammer and plasticine chisel to loosen the nut :happyhappy:
To a Raptor....EVERYTHING else is just prey !!

WOOHOO!...TWINS!
Red Mist
On the Road

Post by Red Mist »

I had Bridgestone 020s on my last bike. The grip in the dry was phenomenal. However I had a few jitters in the wet. Eventually I fell off on a wet road in totally innoccous circumstances. Front locked when I wasn't even panic braking at 60 mph! I came down with a bump.

Always had Dunlops on the Rap. New ones were fitted when I got the bike. Never had any moments at all with them. They don't seem to grip as tenaciously as the Bridgestones in the dry, but I still get my pegs down regularly enough. I ride slower in the wet anyway of course (even slower after the aforementioned spill) but The Dunlops do seem better than the Bridgestones. Mind you, the 023s should be better than what I was using.
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

Thought it time to raise this question again, anyone tried Michelin Pilot Road 3s?

What sort of life did you get out of them?
152/999
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

Miz wrote:55 years agoThought it time to raise this question again, anyone tried Michelin Pilot Road 3s?

What sort of life did you get out of them?
Well, I got a set and am well pleased with them up to now. Will update on life as I use them a bit more.
152/999
RaptorJo
On the Road

Post by RaptorJo »

I used to have the pilot road 2 which I loved and hubby has the 3 on his tdm and loves them. I have now changed to Avon storm ultra 2 which I really do rate, seem really good wet and dry and really do get good mileage out of them