same old same old... the Tyres Question

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

same old same old... the Tyres Question

Post by shebee »

but this time for the thou...

Its MOT time and she has had her annual bath and going over.... and its time for a new rear - not for the test I hope but certainly before Lincolnshire :ride:

I have loved the way the 020's behave (and ride) but they dont seem to be availiable now.. the 020 on the front is fine and whilst I normally do front and rear at the same time financial limitations mean thats not going to happen just now.

so what is a good tyre in the 020 vein to go the the 020 front.

:dance:
Twisted Tequila Sister
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Re: same old same old... the Tyres Question

Post by dizzyblonde »

I generally don't mix tyres. I inherited the vrap with Avon viper sports which were pants. Swapped the back to an Avon Storm Ultra (I've always ridden the storms on my bikes) it was a terrible unison, soon got a matching front. Can't find a fault now, theyre great for what I need, and they get a good fan base too amongst my more nutty rider friends.
Yellow 2001 SV650s,2002 VRaptor
Your Rapter looks like a sci fi robot dragon! and it breaths fire too! It singed my eye brows and boiled my eyes at the lights! smudge
Araf
On the Road

Post by Araf »

I'm in the same boat (needing only a rear) but luckily the car has Continentals fitted, that aren't very expensive.

If you currently have an 020, then the tyre that has superceded it should be compatable. I think the BT023 is the latest incarnation.
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

I'm running Maxxis Super tourings on the Xtra, no idea what they will be like if you mix them, but as a set they do everything I need in the wet & dry, I don't ride hard, but don't hang about either.. I'm about to pay about £90 for a rear.
152/999
Araf
On the Road

Post by Araf »

Maxxis have come on a long way, but sadly that does reflect in the price, as they are on a par with Contis now. Still a lot cheaper than the major players though. :thumbsup:
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

just got a pair of 023s on mine, they're supposed to match well with 020s
:dance:
front feels a little sportier than the 020 a bit more like the 010, but then that could also be the new bearings and of course the non-square tyres :oops: (they were very needing replaced)

only 50 ish miles on 'em so far, so can't really make a judgement, but they didn't give me any 'moments'
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
slix2110
On the Road
Facebook address thingy: sussex hydrografix

Post by slix2110 »

I have a mate with an 020 on front and 023 rear with no ill effects on a 900 Hornet. Michelin Pilot Road 3s seem to be getting rave reviews in all the mags so I may replace my Pilot Powers with those soon
shebee
Site Admin

Post by shebee »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: New MOT obtained... with an advisory on the rear tyre. :nod:

Thanks for your input... an 023 will be ordered tommorow (once I get paid!)

:dance: :dance: :dance:
Twisted Tequila Sister
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

shebee wrote:55 years ago :thumbsup: :thumbsup: New MOT obtained... -/-
:thumbsup: :ride: :thumbsup: :revrev:
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
norrie
On the Road

Post by norrie »

I always used 020's on my Buell and then used 023's and can highly recommend them as you get loads of miles out of them plus they grip well.

Norrie.
Norrie.

Lang may yer lum reek!
cF^
On the Road

Post by cF^ »

Just got back from 3000 miles around Europe with a pillion on the Raptor. Maxxis Diamonds were squirmy peices of crap and TERRIBLE in the wet. Really made what should have been some fun roads abit crap. Next set (which are due) will probably be storms as they rocked on the SV
shebee
Site Admin

Post by shebee »

023 rear on order. :thumbsup: thanks
Twisted Tequila Sister
Araf
On the Road

Post by Araf »

I've just had a pair of Conti Road Attacks (thats what are already on the bike) delivered.

If I get my act together, I might just have to fit them tomorrow...
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Post by Crap Tartan »

buy whatever you can get at a good price and are the right fit for your bike. None of us here are racers so any decent make will be better than the rider.......................................................... more often than not people use the tyres as their excuse for lack of ability/ knowledge when things go wrong.
nil illigitimae carborundum
Araf
On the Road

Post by Araf »

I agree with what you have written, but find that most of a tyre's ability is in the rider's head.

If a rider isn't confident in the rubber, then the tyres won't be used properly, won't warm up, and will then reinforce the rider's prejudice.

If a rider is mentally happy with a tyre, they will corner harder, warm in up more and quicker, which makes the tyre work better, and this just adds to the confidence.

BTW £159 + £6 delivery for the pair of Contis. Manufacture date is from 18 months ago, but still better than the 7 year old tyres currently fitted.