Strange

Chat about anything
VRaptorMark
On the Road

Strange

Post by VRaptorMark »

So I was out this evening at Willingham woods and on the way home decided that after having the VRap for a week it was the right time to pop the front wheel in the air. I tried doing this the way I did it on my VTR 2nd gear quick on and off the throttle and then whack the throttle open and sale down the road on 1 wheel. Didn't work?? All that happened was the bike acclerated slowly then once i eased off I could get the power on and off we would go 2 wheels on the floor!! Didn't seem like the clutch was slipping as the revs climbed slowly and didn't seem like it was bogging out as it was smooth.
Anyone got any ideas?? :?
Better to burn out than just fade away!!
snapdragon

Re: Strange

Post by snapdragon »

nope, never tried to unicycle at all, only ever done it by accident

:)
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

have you got a tre fitted? coz standard is limited in lower gears
Bit of a Muppet
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Post by dizzyblonde »

Wouldn't want to do that myself. Know too many that have broke the front cylinder with oil starvation on its close vtwin relatives!
Yellow 2001 SV650s,2002 VRaptor
Your Rapter looks like a sci fi robot dragon! and it breaths fire too! It singed my eye brows and boiled my eyes at the lights! smudge
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

Only ever done it a couple of times, and both by accident...1st time a little too enthusiastic on a take of from the lights as my advanced trainer wanted me out of the way so he and the other rider could get through the traffic :oops:
Twisted Tequila Sister
VRaptorMark
On the Road

Post by VRaptorMark »

shedmonkey wrote:55 years agohave you got a tre fitted? coz standard is limited in lower gears
Don't think so but even so if I don't roll on and off and just ride hard through 1st and 2nd its fine only when I roll on and off does it do the strange thing! :?
VRaptorMark
On the Road

Post by VRaptorMark »

dizzyblonde wrote:55 years agoWouldn't want to do that myself. Know too many that have broke the front cylinder with oil starvation on its close vtwin relatives!
Yeah I have heard of this but never known anyone myself. Lots of my mates have V's and they have all been fine. :)
VRaptorMark
On the Road

Post by VRaptorMark »

shebee wrote:55 years agoOnly ever done it a couple of times, and both by accident...1st time a little too enthusiastic on a take of from the lights as my advanced trainer wanted me out of the way so he and the other rider could get through the traffic :oops:
There the scary 1's. :nod:
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Post by dizzyblonde »

VRaptorMark wrote:55 years ago
dizzyblonde wrote:55 years agoWouldn't want to do that myself. Know too many that have broke the front cylinder with oil starvation on its close vtwin relatives!
Yeah I have heard of this but never known anyone myself. Lots of my mates have V's and they have all been fine. :)
I've blown up the yellow SV engine from oil starvation, but not from wheelying :angry: Have seen the results of the wheelie blown engines (oh dear, thats a bad joke :doh: ) mates an SV mechanic, hes always dealing with them!

Although I did wheelie the black SV I had once, went right up in the air like some mad bucking horse, but that was very accidental and it ended up sliding down the road, with my head tarmac surfing in pursuit. The one and only time I had an off.............and it happened to be down my own street :ouch: Called the ex fella at home to help me move the bike, which was a bit stupid, coz he'd just had his hip replaced and couldn't exactly do much :roll:

I think the idea is to not prolong the time up in the air with regards to not blowing it up :blink:
Yellow 2001 SV650s,2002 VRaptor
Your Rapter looks like a sci fi robot dragon! and it breaths fire too! It singed my eye brows and boiled my eyes at the lights! smudge
AZ
On the Road

Post by AZ »

Should come up fine.I`ve removed my tre and by rolling on and off the fast tube at 3/4 throttle ,she just goes up and away,no problem.I must admit to using a little clutch to lift the front once over 60 ,but in the 1st 2 gears the wheel is up and away just on full throttle and very light and jittery in 3rd .I think mine lofts the front easier now than when i 1st got it but i put that down to a regular good thrashing and the motor lossening up as the miles increase.You just need to give it a few thousand miles of giving it a good pasting and then maybe it`ll get better.
NOTE; bikes do not have air brakes,lofting the front wheel will have an effect on a bikes braking efficiency.
dont arf get the adrenalin pumpin tho!!!
VRaptorMark
On the Road

Post by VRaptorMark »

AZ wrote:55 years agoShould come up fine.I`ve removed my tre and by rolling on and off the fast tube at 3/4 throttle ,she just goes up and away,no problem.I must admit to using a little clutch to lift the front once over 60 ,but in the 1st 2 gears the wheel is up and away just on full throttle and very light and jittery in 3rd .I think mine lofts the front easier now than when i 1st got it but i put that down to a regular good thrashing and the motor lossening up as the miles increase.You just need to give it a few thousand miles of giving it a good pasting and then maybe it`ll get better.
Tried it a few times just wouldn't have it. Made be it was just me!! :oops: I will try again tomorrow! :nod:
Aussiejoe
On the Road

Post by Aussiejoe »

I thought it was all about horsepower, and who really cares..........it's just "posing" anyway. May as well buy a metric cruiser and park out the front of cafes. Let me see you go through a round-about at full opposite lock and I might show you a lot more respect as a rider! Any monkey can ride a motorcycle in a straight line............just my 2 bobs worth :yawn:
VRaptorMark
On the Road

Post by VRaptorMark »

Aussiejoe wrote:55 years agoI thought it was all about horsepower, and who really cares..........it's just "posing" anyway. May as well buy a metric cruiser and park out the front of cafes. Let me see you go through a round-about at full opposite lock and I might show you a lot more respect as a rider! Any monkey can ride a motorcycle in a straight line............just my 2 bobs worth :yawn:
Totally agree mate thats why I also have a CCM R30 Carbon. You do things you just cant do on sports bikes and mean it.
AZ
On the Road

Post by AZ »

I only do wheelies for my self and not to show off.I don`t do them in front of school girls or on back streets etc as i don`t want to put others at risk.I have a few favourite stretches of road for wheelies and when the mood takes me i also ride the bends and round abouts with a heavy throttle .I do like to leave black lines out of round abouts with the wheel lifting as she straightens up ,but the mood to ride like a plonker takes me even less these days.Must be getting old. :roll:
NOTE; bikes do not have air brakes,lofting the front wheel will have an effect on a bikes braking efficiency.
dont arf get the adrenalin pumpin tho!!!
VRaptorMark
On the Road

Post by VRaptorMark »

AZ wrote:55 years agoI only do wheelies for my self and not to show off.I don`t do them in front of school girls or on back streets etc as i don`t want to put others at risk.I have a few favourite stretches of road for wheelies and when the mood takes me i also ride the bends and round abouts with a heavy throttle .I do like to leave black lines out of round abouts with the wheel lifting as she straightens up ,but the mood to ride like a plonker takes me even less these days.Must be getting old. :roll:
Spot on mate.

Still no one has offered a answer to my problem thou! :( :(