Gear selector part needed, help!

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
cF^
On the Road

Re: Gear selector part needed, help!

Post by cF^ »

snapdragon wrote:55 years agobut I still have the TL part if you want to try it cF^
Ohh thanks, why not, maybe my rearsets give me more room for error than the stock.
PM me some details :)

I'd rather give a cheap option a go before going mental on OEM parts.
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Post by Crap Tartan »

Is there not a joint (pivot) at each end of the rod to allow a fair bit of lateral movement?
nil illigitimae carborundum
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Crap Tartan wrote:55 years agoIs there not a joint (pivot) at each end of the rod to allow a fair bit of lateral movement?
there is CT, need to use the ends of the twizzle stick - errm threaded rod though
cF^ wrote:55 years ago
snapdragon wrote:55 years agobut I still have the TL part if you want to try it cF^
Ohh thanks, why not, maybe my rearsets give me more room for error than the stock.
PM me some details :)

I'd rather give a cheap option a go before going mental on OEM parts.
whereabouts are you cF^ ??
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
cF^
On the Road

Post by cF^ »

Brighton, just heading off to chippenham for the bank holiday weekend if that's any use though (see you're in wiltshire)?
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

That could work - just have to find the bessed thing now - how is it when you're not wanting stuff you're always tripping over it (metaphorically) but when you need it it damm well hides
SnappY
Araf
On the Road

Post by Araf »

cF^ wrote:55 years agoUploading pic of the bit I need. Can't tell if it's specific to the rearsets but I don't think so. Any advice would be welcome, sooner I get it back on the road the better :)
I think it's rear-set specific. Whenever I've bought rearsets, they have included everything up to the selector shaft.

What is wrong with the one you have?
Crap Tartan
On the Road

Post by Crap Tartan »

Araf wrote:55 years ago
cF^ wrote:55 years agoUploading pic of the bit I need. Can't tell if it's specific to the rearsets but I don't think so. Any advice would be welcome, sooner I get it back on the road the better :)
I think it's rear-set specific. Whenever I've bought rearsets, they have included everything up to the selector shaft.

What is wrong with the one you have?
Nope, the gear selector arm in the pic is a standard rap item I`m pretty sure and my rearsets came with everything from the pivot on the end of that arm back. I just made it fit with the standard arm and the rearsets were universal and not raptor specific.
Araf
On the Road

Post by Araf »

Fair enough. :oops:
Crap Tartan
On the Road

Post by Crap Tartan »

Araf wrote:55 years agoFair enough. :oops:
No worries, didnt want people getting the wrong end of the stick and possibly costing themselves dosh for wrong or unneeded stuff.
cF^
On the Road

Post by cF^ »

Arg!! The gear shift rod on my bike has a left hand thread and the TL part Snap sent me has a right hand thread!
Can you get new gear change rods with odd threads on the ends? :s
cF^
On the Road

Post by cF^ »

Just noticed most bikes have this, right hand thread on one end, left on the other. Makes sense.
What on earth is going on with my bikes threads then :/
cF^
On the Road

Post by cF^ »

Day of fettling and it's finally done! Thank you so so so much for all your help and especially to Snapdragon for sending me the TL part. Gear changes seem to feel even more positive now! I had to space out the foot lever, luckily my rearsets allow that.

I realised that if I took the gear rod connector (bit that wibbles about and gives lateral movement) off the broken part which had the left hand thread and fixed it onto the foot lever I could screw the TL part on to the opposite end of the rod which would now be right hand thread! Took me ages to figure that out, especially as the gear rod connector on the TL part could not be disconnected - had a rivet instead of a screw or something.
Anyway, bike had a thorough clean today and more importantly WORKS!
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Glad it works for you CF^
you owe the forum a beer I think :thumbsup:
SnappY