Leaking coolant ??

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
RaptorJo
On the Road

Leaking coolant ??

Post by RaptorJo »

Not sure if this is a one off or I haven't notice before !!!!!

Been out for short spin just to bed new tyre in, only did about 40mile, came home manovered bike round back etc, parked up while hubby was messing with a nail in his rear tyre !!! went back to mine 5mins late and there was a small puddle of coolant which appeared to have come from the overflow pipe.
Allowed it to cool down a little, checked fluid levels in rad - fine. checked levels in expansion tank - just below the highest level.
Is this the start of something? or just rappy clearing its tubes?
shedmonkey
APM

Re: Leaking coolant ??

Post by shedmonkey »

The most usual place for a leak is the rad. Was it unusually warm or quicker ride than normal or was it overfilled before? Just keep watching it.
Bit of a Muppet
RaptorJo
On the Road

Post by RaptorJo »

The puddle was under the middle of the bike to the right so deffo not the radiator, as it warmed up yesterday and wasn't actually raining I am hoping it got hotter than it was used to this year :lol: failing that like you say hopefully it was just me being generous with my filling. :oops:
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Post by dizzyblonde »

Sounds like you have been over generous. It'll probably happen a couple more times before it finds a natural level and then stop taking a widdle.

In my experience anyway. I watch this sort of thing like a hawk, as my rads blown a few times, then someone out a bit too much coolant in it after I fixed it.
Yellow 2001 SV650s,2002 VRaptor
Your Rapter looks like a sci fi robot dragon! and it breaths fire too! It singed my eye brows and boiled my eyes at the lights! smudge
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

hmm, If you find it doesn't seem to be merely overfill I recommend you check for dampness/drips round the 'seep hole' below the cooling impeller cover (small hole on the forward facing part of the engine cover)
if it's wet, could be that the oil/water mech cooling seal has failed.

If it has, it does, I've had mine go and still ridden round the country on a many rally trip in a hot summer and still be ok. (and had loads of people ask about my 'oil leak' bah :suspect: )
it's not an expensive job, but a bit fiddly and needs care taken (no hammers for this job)
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
RaptorJo
On the Road

Post by RaptorJo »

thanks for info everyone :D

Snap as I can be a bit thick sometimes can you give me further direction to where i'm looking, I don't want to be gazing at the wrong hole............no one say anything :lol:

Are we talking left or right side when sitting on it.

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

RaptorJo wrote:55 years agothanks for info everyone :D
Snap as I can be a bit thick sometimes can you give me further direction to where i'm looking, I don't want to be gazing at the wrong hole............no one say anything :lol:
Are we talking left or right side when sitting on it.
Offside - the right when you're sitting, if you look at the engine cover there, (not while you're sitting on it :roll: ) there's a fancy bit that looks like a propeller, (cooler impeller under there)
Below that there's engine cover and on the front facing surface (as opposed to the sideways face)
There's an 8mm or so hole that looks like it should have a bolt in it but doesn't
This is where oil or coolant seeps out from the cooler transfer bit (oil cooler/water cooler) if the seal has compromised :tada:
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>