Oil Leak

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
RaptorJo
On the Road

Oil Leak

Post by RaptorJo »

right as the title suggest I appear to have a slight oil leak. Not being very mechanical, i don't really know where to start. Its dripping (odd drip not pouring) around the gear selector area- if not a little bit behind it. Tbh I don't know whats in that area to even check. Being pointed in the right direction for me to have a nose round would help, as I could really do without paying garage prices.
Any help as always really appreciated :D
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Re: Oil Leak

Post by dizzyblonde »

Gear selector area? ie Front sprocket?

Have you adjusted your chain lately? If so, is it too tiight. Might be the sprocket seal popped out a little and it needs slacking off slightly :?
Yellow 2001 SV650s,2002 VRaptor
Your Rapter looks like a sci fi robot dragon! and it breaths fire too! It singed my eye brows and boiled my eyes at the lights! smudge
RaptorJo
On the Road

Post by RaptorJo »

Have adjusted rear wheel recently so will check, although I think it may have been leaking before. Thanks for info :D
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

i suppose you have 2 things mainly in that area the gear selector shaft seal and the sprocket shaft seal other than just gaskets. If either leak they would need replacing and the chain tightness should make no difference .It is usually possible with care and sharp tools to remove and refit seals withought dismantling the engine but i have not done either of these seals before. Give it a good clean around the area and watch closely.
Bit of a Muppet
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Post by dizzyblonde »

Occasionally tightening a chain can make the rubber on the sprocket seal unseat itself. It's not often it happens but it can. That's why I asked.
I was in Scotland and a reasonably new chain on the SV had been adjusted before I left for the trip. I kept losing oil for no reason at all, when I got back we noted it was coming from behind the sprocket cover. My ex happened to touch the chain whilst his head was under the bike, and took note that the chain was under normal tension on one half and tight as hell on the other. We back the chain off ever so slightly and hey presto no leak!!! I actually bought a new seal just in case it had a fault, but there was no need. We cured the issue. Never had a leak since.

It may not be as simple, but it can be a possibility.
Yellow 2001 SV650s,2002 VRaptor
Your Rapter looks like a sci fi robot dragon! and it breaths fire too! It singed my eye brows and boiled my eyes at the lights! smudge
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

I used to get an occasional drip when I had the scottoiler turned up too high, the excess chain oil lands in the front sprocket cover and then drips out when at a standstill.
always worth taking that cover off and cleaning up the area to be sure (on mine it's a manky job so I wear rubber gloves ;) )
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
Fausto
On the Road

Post by Fausto »

I would start off by giving the area a good scrub. There's a good chance it's excess chain oil as snapdragon says - even if you don't use an oiler. Save your worrying about seals etc for later.
RaptorJo
On the Road

Post by RaptorJo »

Unfortunatley its definitily engine oil :( will just have to try and see where its coming from. ( I don't have a scott oiler and used chain wax)
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

lots of small seals that it could be Jo

due to the parking angle they can start on the offside and dribble under the sump to drip at the nearside

As Fausto suggested giving all a clean up and then looking for the trace of where it's coming from is a good plan
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>