TPS reset

General spannery stuff
RaptorJo
On the Road

Re: TPS reset

Post by RaptorJo »

Kicks in reading at 114 degrees now :mrgreen:

.....no idea why this posted twice.......
Bear of Little Brain
On the Road

Post by Bear of Little Brain »

Crap Tartan wrote:55 years ago
BLACK BOX.docx
Any chance of having this as a pdf, Crap?

My version of Word is so old that I cannot even use the Microsoft converter program, which requires Office 2004. And I use a Mac. :(
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

Bear of Little Brain wrote:55 years ago
Crap Tartan wrote:55 years ago
BLACK BOX.docx
Any chance of having this as a pdf, Crap?

My version of Word is so old that I cannot even use the Microsoft converter program, which requires Office 2004. And I use a Mac. :(
I can do that for you.....but when I tried to post it here I got a message saying sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached :(

So I uploaded it to PDF Host instead:http://www.pdfhost.net/index.php?Action ... 18c1224ae4 :D
Road racing's where it's at - going round in circles all day is for hamsters.
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

Three cheers to Crap – Hip hip hooray!!

Prompted by the cold weather I’ve finally got round to fitting the temp sensor resistor and, good lord, what a difference. :dance:

I’d never really suffered the 3K glitch but last week the bike was running a good deal less than 82C for pretty much my whole commute which resulted in getting 10 miles less out of a tankful! With it fitted the bike runs so much cleaner and leaner and feels so much more crisp & responsive – nice. It’s now obvious that most of time it was running rich & woolly – and I just thought that was the norm.

Did a little more metal bending and made a cradle for the box and fitted it to the bar clamps. I used a 750 Ohm resister and today the bike was displaying 90 – 94C which equates to something around a real temp of 78 - 82c.

There was some space left on the box so I’ve mounted an old Casio G-Shock but I’ve still got to rig up a decent strap as I don’t trust the velcro to hold on tight enough. Although there may well be a flaw in that particular cunning plan in that it’ll probably be outside my focal length – hey ho :doh:

Better picture in later post...
Last edited by andybaggies on |January 27th, 2016|, 5:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Post by Crap Tartan »

Nice one Andy!!!

So how did you come by the 750ohm resistor value?

The only extra you may consider is a switch so you can switch the resistor out of circuit for when it is really warm (yes please!) or when staionary in traffic and it engine heats up enough for the fan to kick in.

The reason I put a variable resistor in is due to everyones bike being slightly differant you can then adjust to compensate. The reason I put a switch in place to remove the resistor and just let it work as normal was due to the above mentioned overheating issue and many bikes do not like to start on the better map so I always have it switched off to start then immidiately switch it on so it goes onto the good map much sooner.

Best of luck and well done for getting stuck in to sorting a problem as electrickery stuff scares most people off which is probably why I have made so many of my black boxes for members all over the place!
nil illigitimae carborundum
andybaggies
On the Road

TPS reset

Post by andybaggies »

So how did you come by the 750ohm resistor value?
I put the available data points (temp/resistance) into a spreadsheet graph & from this I could add other data points to get a nice curve which I could use for my target resistances for the temp range that suited my needs. 750 ohms was a little more gentle in that it lifts 70 to 86 and 90 to 100 - all within a nice range I felt.
The only extra you may consider is a switch so you can switch the resistor out of circuit
It's a pretty bad photo but there is a rubber sleeved toggle switch bang in the middle of the box at the bottom and as you do I switch it in when he's at around 65 after warming on the stand and I've finished faffing about get togged up. Electric gloves no less - mmmm nice.
Last edited by andybaggies on |January 27th, 2023|, 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crap Tartan
On the Road

Post by Crap Tartan »

Nice one mate!

Spreadsheets indeed, I just used the parallel resistance equation to find a theoretical midpoint and got a suitable variable resistor to allow for a fair bit of adjustment then set it up on the bike. Sorry but didnt see the switch in that rather awful pic!!!! lol

The good thing in having the bits mounted in a cool little black box at the side of the engine means I can tell nosey people all sorts of pish about what it does...........
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

Here we go, hopefully a better picture - with a flash!!
P1010101 (333x400).jpg
P1010101 (333x400).jpg (132.81 KiB) Viewed 6775 times
hondaxl1
On the Road

Post by hondaxl1 »

Just a thank you for this mod, I used a 220ohm resistor with a bar mounted switch in parallel with the temp sensor and switch it on at 30'C when warming up and switch it off at 110'C to remove the 3K glitch. In just another interesting aside, on my ride yesterday (30'C ambient temp, resistor switched out) all was fine until I hit some rain and the temp went below 78'C only while I was in it and then back to 83'C which is the normal operating temp for my bike. I can only assume that the cooling efficiency of the motor can put the engine temp back below operating temp. Anyway I am very happy with this mod, simple and effective, thanks again.
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

all was fine until I hit some rain and the temp went below 78'C only while I was in it and then back to 83'C which is the normal operating temp for my bike
That's been pretty much my experience for the past couple of months or so. Even on a 25 mile commute the bike would struggle to maintain it's operating temperature, sometimes even when blatting up the motorway but it also could quite quickly get to 90 when filtering through urban jams.

So I reckon they had to fit a cooling system to cope with the hot running motor in high ambient temperatures and blow the downside of running when it's colder. Who rides in winter anyway...
Crap Tartan
On the Road

Post by Crap Tartan »

YUp, thats bpretty much what they considered and done.
I actually masked off airflow from 75% of my rad and tried it in cool conditions and it still did not get up to a decent running temp.

Remove airflow completely and it very quickly heats up but its a fine line. The rad is just too efficient for its own good at lower air temps.
Kriss Pappas

TPS reset

Post by Kriss Pappas »

Hey guys, I´d like to make my own black box, since I can´t seem to reach CT. Anyone able to help with wiring it, because my bike has a PC and I´m not sure where exactly to connect the wires from the potentiometer. Also did CT use connectors that have a little claw to splice into the existing wire ? The links don´t work anymore. Thanks for any help :)
andybaggies
On the Road

TPS reset

Post by andybaggies »

See if this helps
BLACK BOX.docx
(50.5 KiB) Downloaded 91 times
andybaggies
On the Road

TPS reset

Post by andybaggies »

And here's a pdf version if you prefer
BLACK BOX.pdf
(197.91 KiB) Downloaded 107 times
And if you are brave enough it's much better to actually cut the wires and solder them back together along with the spliced wires and then heat shrink them.

I initially used those horrid big splice connectors that clamp on the wires but they were useless and lost contact within a couple of weeks.
muppet racer

TPS reset

Post by muppet racer »

:thumbsup: Hi All, could someone please tell me is the black box mod is the same as plugging in a TRE also are the black box still available.