Loud pipes cause heart attacks.

Chat about anything
Hairy_Mark
Hirsute Maximus Spanner...I do Technical Me ;)

Loud pipes cause heart attacks.

Post by Hairy_Mark »

Anyone remember the MAG (motorcycle action group) saying, 'Loud pipes save lives'?

Seriously, I couldn't agree more. I bet those namby-pamby 'green' electric vehicles are all red at the front, from small children bouncing off the bonnets. My raptor has pretty loud cans (BSAU stamped officer, honestly) and one thing I find is that no-one, but no-one steps out on a crossing in front of me...even deaf people feel the vibrations in their chests.

Also, how many times do we have to put up with the 'Sorry mate, I didn't see you' excuse from car drivers who shouldn't be in charge of a shopping trolley. I know they can hear me, because even the most dull-witted ones look in their rear view mirrors when I prowl up behind them in town.

Yes, my cans do give some people frights. They stare venomously at my Raptor as we pass. But I'd rather that, than having to brake hard on diesel-riddled roads 'cos some idiot stepped out in front of me. When they're sitting in their cars, arguing with the wife and kids (or husband and kids, I'm not sexist), waiting to blindly pull out onto an A-road, the delicate sound of approaching thunder puts them off.

Personally, I think new bikes with standard cans are too quiet and therefore too dangerous. Even standard Raptor cans are way too muted. Why have a rottweiler that yaps like a Yorkshire terrier?

Ahhh! I've got that out of my system. Nobody pulled out on me today...I just got fed up with the hateful glances from the sinners (non-motorcyclists) as I passed. It's not my fault if their hearing aids were turned up too loud!
Legal disclaimer :
The author has recently been declared sane.
He thanks Dr Foster for this and hopes his
clothes dry out after the puddle incident.
Raptoress
On the Road

Re: Loud pipes cause heart attacks.

Post by Raptoress »

i'm with you hairy mark, twice on the weekend I reckon I avoided trouble because of my loud pipes. idiot tin tops blocking the road, not pulling over to the verge, you just cant guess what they are thinking or about to do !!! But a couple of twists of the throttle and at least they knew I was coming thru.

Not to mention the fun factor :thumbsup:

cheerz frankie
There is no better high, than a good days riding !

Raptor 1000
Z1R
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Post by dizzyblonde »

They're particularly good for filtering too, its amazing. Who needs someone called Moses, when you can part the waves yourself!

I really enjoy putting people before the Raptor firing squad when they get too far up my chuff. I don't like a car to sit on my rear seat as a pillion, so get the old pipes to give s cracking back fire....wakes em up a bit :)
Yellow 2001 SV650s,2002 VRaptor
Your Rapter looks like a sci fi robot dragon! and it breaths fire too! It singed my eye brows and boiled my eyes at the lights! smudge
Hairy_Mark
Hirsute Maximus Spanner...I do Technical Me ;)

Post by Hairy_Mark »

Thanks Raptoress and dizzy. I can't believe we're the only trio to believe in the power of loud Raptor music.

Let's face it, if it's your favourite music and you're going out for a night on the town, do you play it quietly? No,
You play it as loudly as the neighbours and police will allow.

Don't you just love the torque as well? I'm drifting off in a spell of dangerously kinky recollection........

I still think loud cans should be obligatory. What the hell is the use of health and safety regs, if they can't save the righteous? (bikers)
Legal disclaimer :
The author has recently been declared sane.
He thanks Dr Foster for this and hopes his
clothes dry out after the puddle incident.
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

I'm proper boring (or maybe short'o'cash is nearer the truth) still have the original cans, athough they do get louder as they get older. :thumbsup:
Had to replace the pipes on the Aprilia because the originals rotted away, have Gazelle stainless on now and they are glorious (when she starts :doh: )
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
Mister_Ee
On the Road

Post by Mister_Ee »

Gotta agree with you Mark, loud pipes are the way forward, unfortunately my Raptor is the only bike I've got with standard exhaust, the loudest bike I've got is a Honda Bros 400 with a R1 silencer that sounds fantastic.
I got pulled for having a noisy pipe on my YZF750 and got a £30 fine but I'll take that once every 20 years for the number of times it's saved my arse, as I told the copper "It's alright you guys banging on about lights and Hi-Viz and being more visible but you can't listen in the wrong direction"
Fazer 1000, Raptor 1000, Bandit 1200, Bros 400, YZF 750
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Mister_Ee wrote:55 years ago you can't listen in the wrong direction"
perfect, I may need to quote you (often) :thumbsup:
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>