Fuel leak

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
Boofhead
On the Road

Fuel leak

Post by Boofhead »

G'day all,
My Rap has developed an annoying fuel leak that weeps out from under the fuel tank and then runs down the left side of the Rap's frame. Is this a common problem with Raptors?
I removed the tank to inspect where the fuel was coming from and it seemed to me that the cause was the dodgy factory clamp on the return line (the return hose wasn't clamped very firm). The quick release clamp was ok as far as I could tell.
I replaced the factory clamp with a quality one, put it all back together and went for a ride....now it's worse!! I must have disturbed the real problem.
So the leak must be coming from the fuel pump gasket. Does anyone know if the gasket is a re-usable type and are there any traps I need to be aware of with re-seating it? The workshop manual wasn't of much help in this matter other than giving bolt torque settings.
Once again any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers,
Boofhead
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Re: Fuel leak

Post by Crap Tartan »

Hey Boof,

I have had my tank off and apart on a number of occasions and whilst the gasket for the pump is re-useable, if it is damaged or perished at all I would replace. Whenever i have re-assembled i have used blue hylomar on both sides of the gasket to ensure a good seal. I have never had to replace a gasket there.
I would check your hoses for damage or splits in that area in case its just a hose.
You can prove the pump gasket by removing tank (leave some fuel in) and stand tank upright and see if any seepage is evident. You will need to block off pipes as necessary.
nil illigitimae carborundum
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

ditto what ct said i have had mine apart and didnt use any sealant and its fine.
If its the tank gasket it would leak all the time unless the fuel level was very low and splashing about while riding.
I would think a split in the hose is more likely .if you lift the tank and prop it up while running the engine you should be able to see where its coming from, i usually use a lit match to highlight fuel leaks (it makes them a lot more noticeable) :lightfart: joking joking joking

a friend of mine was having trouble with his car and disonnected the fuel hose while his wife turned the ignition on he said there were 3 squirts of fuel out of the hose and the trailer tent in the back of the garage burst into flames ,he has no idea what ignited the fuel.
Bit of a Muppet
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

Just to confirm, I would strip the pump from the tank to inspect the seals, but to also check for water in the bottom of the tank (this is a common problem), I would inspect where the return pipe passes through the pump mounting plate, as Raptors have had problems with corrosion here due to water in the tank.
152/999
Boofhead
On the Road

Post by Boofhead »

Thanks everyone for your input,
I never thought of running the engine with the tank propped up while the fuel is under pressure to check for leaks...I should stop drinking so my brain isn't in neutral all the time!! lol.
An interesting point made by Miz was about the mounting plate & it's tubes that could have been affected by water in the fuel. I have had the blocked overflow tube problem & maybe water from when I've washed the bike or ridden in the rain, has gone into the fuel in the past. It did cross my mind that those tubes may be cracked. So now that I'm going to pull the whole lot apart & inspect everything to be sure, I'll take the pump plate to work & get it dye-pen tested for cracks & pin holes.
Once again thanks everyone for your help, well, except for the tip using a match to find the leak lol

Cheers & stay upright :ride:
from Boofhead