Rough Idle and in lower rpm

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Re: Rough Idle and in lower rpm

Post by dizzyblonde »

What about holes in air hoses?

My sv had issue running on one, turned out there was a big sodding hole in a hose to the carbs( should imagine its the same for injected?) As well as lumpy idle.
My Rap wouldnt idle properly until it was upto temp, and we found it to be a mucky plug

So on that, I'm out of ideas, unless the air hose hole is plausible. Oh and when were the TBs last balanced and battery changed??, seem to remember the old Rap behaving badly on an old battery.
Yellow 2001 SV650s,2002 VRaptor
Your Rapter looks like a sci fi robot dragon! and it breaths fire too! It singed my eye brows and boiled my eyes at the lights! smudge
RaptorJo
On the Road

Post by RaptorJo »

Battery changed last year and yes it does make a difference in the running. Dnt think I have had the throttle bodies balanced since I had it 26,000 mile ago :oops: would they make such a drastic change or would it be gradual?
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

RaptorJo wrote:55 years agoBattery changed last year and yes it does make a difference in the running. Dnt think I have had the throttle bodies balanced since I had it 26,000 mile ago :oops: would they make such a drastic change or would it be gradual?
You would expect the balance/out of balance to be a gradual thing.

You could remove the plug caps and check the condition of the connecting to the lead, they unscrew, I've had one or two give up the ghost in the past.
152/999
RaptorJo
On the Road

Post by RaptorJo »

Thanks for everyones help, I have had to admit defeat and got to take it in Monday, has new sparks both, new plug and lead on front. Can't get to the rear but suspect if it is to do with the coils it will be the front as its not warming up as quick, bloody gutted I can't fix it and I had to phone around as some garages won't even bloody touch it :o found a garage but he is full for next two weeks so I am gonna have to leave it there and they will look at it when they have chance :( :( :( :(
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Shame you don't have a good motorcycle repair shop nearby, when you say 'garage' do you mean a car place?
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
RaptorJo
On the Road

Post by RaptorJo »

Its sort of debatable lol, I actually bought the bike off him originally, but he now sells cars aswell. I have also just been recommended a mechanic so have text him. Just got everything crossed at the mo that I can get it sorted
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

fingers and eyes crossed for you Jo :pinch:
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
JimBo
On the Road

Post by JimBo »

RaptorJo wrote:55 years agoThanks for that weirdo, I've just popped to the shed to start it while it's dark cant see any little sparks (apart from those from the neighbours lol)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

My bikes running a little rough at low revs. Some so called "friends" have said it's the rider, but I'm pretty sure it's some dodgy French fuel I put in last weekend. I'm going to fill her to the brim with some nice English tomorrow and see how she goes.

Good luck with your's Jo.
So many motorcycles, so little money!
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Post by dizzyblonde »

Another thought, what's the idle set at?
Yellow 2001 SV650s,2002 VRaptor
Your Rapter looks like a sci fi robot dragon! and it breaths fire too! It singed my eye brows and boiled my eyes at the lights! smudge
RaptorJo
On the Road

Post by RaptorJo »

Well today's instalment, I managed to break the TRE connection whilst trying to see if that was faulty so was now getting really pi55ed off. Hubby has another look and when he did the lead I had connected to the coil pinged off so obviously that didn't help things. Anyhow he has screwed it in properly and I've take it for a spin and its all ok. Have to say I can't tell the difference without having the TRE on, the small stumble it does is nothing to what it has been doing lol.

So again dare I say it's fixed :D I am going to say it was a combination of bad spark, lead, cap and loose connection to the coil.....and possibly a fecked TRE although I am not sure if that would give such severe symptoms.

All in all it has been a stressful time especially with the yellow thing in the sky.

A BIG THANKYOU to everyone who contributed to my thread
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

The tre signal is quite important and definately could be the problem as the bike needs to see it but doesnt matter too much which way the signal is as long as its getting one. I had a coil go ages ago but it did show an error(but i suppose it might not in all cases) and as for the vacuum hoses they could make a big difference aswell because you could be leaking air into one or both throttle bodies.I agree with the others on throttle body ballance it would come on gradually and be consistent. If you download the suzi manual it gives lots of info on checking out the various sensors on the bike, and checking fuel flow rates and pressures etc. If you lived a bit closer i would happilly have a look for you.
Bit of a Muppet
RaptorJo
On the Road

Post by RaptorJo »

Well I spoke to soon, not fixed. Went round to the mechanic and he didnt really seem as if he wanted to look at it, so hubby had a go, managed to get the coil off and replaced with a TL one. Looks like that was the problem, although I now can tell why I had a TRE fitted lol cheapest I can see for a smart tre is £30 if anyone has had a cheaper one can you post me a link please.

And shedmonkey Thankyou for the offer :D
RaptorJo
On the Road

Post by RaptorJo »

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: still not fixed, ran fine then not, running out of ideas, gonna part ex it at this rate lol
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

Hiya,

Try adding some Wynns Fuel Dry to your tank and going for a run, that would rule out any water in the fuel.
152/999
RaptorJo
On the Road

Post by RaptorJo »

Thanks Miz, already tried that