Idle RPM - how flexible is this?

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
xraptor8
On the Road

Idle RPM - how flexible is this?

Post by xraptor8 »

Hi,

Ever since I've had my X Raptor, she has always ran a bit rougher when the idle speed is set to approx. 1250 RPM, which the manual says is the recommended speed.

Set at this RPM, I have to wait a lot longer for her to heat up - I usually get going after 20 degrees, but at this idle speed she is prone to stalling when I first set off and she runs a bit 'chuggy'.

I've just had her back from a service and my mechanic has re-adjusted the idle speed back to this RPM, as i have had it at around 1400.

How strict is this setting? Is there a specific reason why the bike should idle at this set speed, or is it ok for me to run my bike a couple of hundred RPMS more?

Cheers!
'Bubs'.

Xtra Raptor 239 of 999
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Re: Idle RPM - how flexible is this?

Post by dizzyblonde »

Personally, I find 1400 perfectly acceptable. My VRap really doesnt idle well at 1250, and if I was to set it at that is prone to conking whilst running through the warm up, and conking when I set off, if I don't leave it on 'choke'.

If its worth anything, the idle of 1200 is recommended for the SV too, and that don't like it either. The SV I have s also set higher at around 13/1400. As did another SV I had for a few years.

I wouldn't have either above 1500. That's too high. 1200 is low imo.
Yellow 2001 SV650s,2002 VRaptor
Your Rapter looks like a sci fi robot dragon! and it breaths fire too! It singed my eye brows and boiled my eyes at the lights! smudge
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Generally try to set mine about 1350+/-, but you just reminded me to check - after the main dealer service they may have set her lower again (and she has been slow to warm up)

As I recall having idle set higher gives lower mpl, but I don't recall any problems that it might cause
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
xraptor8
On the Road

Post by xraptor8 »

Cool, thanks for the replies. Just wanted to know if there was any major negatives.

This is what I thought too, the bike always runs much better at, as you say, an idle speed of 1300-1400.

Cheers!
'Bubs'.

Xtra Raptor 239 of 999
Azz
On the Road

Post by Azz »

I also set up the idlee speed to 1300-1400 runs much smoother than ;)
Cagiva Raptor 1000
Aprilia SL Falco 1000