Shock swap

General spannery stuff
turbomart
On the Road

Shock swap

Post by turbomart »

Being unhappy with the rear shock I looked at suitable replacements only couldnt afford/justify the price of a Hagon. The other thing is the Hagon has limited adjustment, other shocks that did have full adjustment are extremely pricey.
I found that a Triumph daytona shock is just a few mm longer , comes with a remote cannister and has compresion, rebound and pre-load adjustment.
Raptor 025.JPG
Raptor 025.JPG (107.94 KiB) Viewed 4805 times
Its a fairly easy fit being a few mm narrower both top and bottom so just needs some washers space out to fit.Also required a few mm ground off the outside of the top mount to clear frames existing reinforcement gusset on one side only.
Raptor 029.JPG
Raptor 029.JPG (115.12 KiB) Viewed 4805 times
Remote cannister was then mounted underneath tail pan with a simple bracket and hose clamps.
Hose to cannister and rear cylinder header pipe both heat lagged.
Raptor 030.JPG
Raptor 030.JPG (113.27 KiB) Viewed 4805 times
End result is a big improvement, I actually thought my swingarm was flexing when accelerating out of a corner because the rear felt like it was squirming around. I now realise it was the shock because this feeling is gone and the rear feels very stable. The action is quite firm but not harsh like the old shock and hitting small sharp bumps at speeds over 80km/h no longer hurts my spine.
Spring is probably just a smidge stiff for me , Im light ( 72kg) but not enough to worry about.
Overall this is what the bike should be like from the factory , sporty but complient.
On a side note, it also sits higher at rest so leans properly on the side stand now.
snapdragon

Re: Shock swap

Post by snapdragon »

Always amazes me - since I look at stuff and can't envisage it elsewhere.

How did you find out that it fitted, did you have 'stock' did you buy many or borrow one from a mate's bike?
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

Well done mate you are an aset(that doesnt look right) er a credit to raptorhood :nod:

ps we need solutions to lots of other little issues how busy is your r&d department?
Bit of a Muppet
vassilis67
On the Road

Post by vassilis67 »

Nice work...which daytona is the shock from?
It's all greek to me....
turbomart
On the Road

Post by turbomart »

I will have to check but from memory its a 05 650 triumph daytona.
I matched it best I could researching on net then bit the bullet and bought it.
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

turbomart wrote:55 years agoI will have to check but from memory its a 05 650 triumph daytona.

I matched it best I could researching on net then bit the bullet and bought it.
:mrgreen:
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
keithy
On the Road

Post by keithy »

What settings did you use for the shock ?
Thanks K
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

Nice to see a bit of ingenuity working out. :happyhappy:
Road racing's where it's at - going round in circles all day is for hamsters.
El Vikingo Tropical
On the Road

Post by El Vikingo Tropical »

Great info!
Thanks
Saludos desde Canarias
hondaxl1
On the Road

Post by hondaxl1 »

Hi, I have just done this mod and it is up there with the best. I bought the shock (2004 triumph 600-same shock as 650) and had my local shop, RAD engineering service it and manufacture the mounts (top and bottom) so it was just a bolt in job and cost less than $200 Aus. to do. I have the link raisers installed at the rear and Ikon front springs with Castrol 5W fork oil (standard air gap) on the front. The compliance of this shock is amazing, I have a Hornet 900 with an Ohlins rear and this almost as good for 1/8 the cost. Thanks for the advice. :D