Missing bolt/ Oil Leak?

Technical stuff specific to the V and Xtra raptors
Countedcat
On the Road

Missing bolt/ Oil Leak?

Post by Countedcat »

I've had my V Rappy 1000 for 3 month now and mainly use it as a commuter. A couple of days ago I noticed an oil smear on the left side of the bike just above the gear selector linkage, closer inspection shows what appears to be an empty threaded hole, the thread appears clean suggesting this had recently housed a bolt or similar?? :shock: There's no pool of oil on the ground and the engine oil level is unmoved, but the general area around the peg seems splattered.

Photo's included.

Any suggestions as to what may have fallen off/ what the leak is would be great. The bike ran fine but I'm not using it until I work out what the leak is.

Cheers

C'cat
Attachments
Oil leak 1001.gif
Oil leak 1001.gif (97.1 KiB) Viewed 4744 times
Oil leak 2001.gif
Oil leak 2001.gif (85.46 KiB) Viewed 4744 times
snapdragon

Re: Missing bolt/ Oil Leak?

Post by snapdragon »

I'll need to have a look at mine to identify the 'hole' *

Oil just there is likely to be chain oil coming off the front sprocket and escaping from the sprocket cover

* that fixing looks the same as mine and I don't think there's anything missing
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Post by Crap Tartan »

I have a threaded bolt with hex head in there that sticks out from hole about 20mm?
nil illigitimae carborundum
Countedcat
On the Road

Post by Countedcat »

Cheers for the replies.

So I guess the summery is I'm missing a bolt but the oil smear is likly to be throw off from the chain?

Sounds solveable at least.

Large wheelie I accidently pulled last week may not have helped.
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

I have an empty hole there too, on my Xtra, I wouldn't worry about it. I have more crud as well, lucky me! I think that what has happened is that the Suzuki lump has been built to allow a couple of different sprocket cover mounting options - in the rap's case the rear mounting options are used, leaving the forward mounting options empty, at the top and bottom of sprocket cover. Well that's what it looks like to me - I can see another empty hole at the back of the sprocket cover on mine - just to the left of the black wire running into the sprocket cover in this picture.

Now that I'm having a closer look at this area I'm not happy with the way the hose for my compression adjuster has been routed - it's jammed in that area, and rubbing, when there's a perfectly good more appropriate looking space for it an inch further outboard. My mechanic's coming tomorrow so I'll see what he thinks.
Road racing's where it's at - going round in circles all day is for hamsters.
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Due to have my Rap on a mate's lift-table shortly so I'll have another look, not sure what sort of fixing that is but nothing looks to be missing from mine, I'll take a pic if I can clean all the old chain fling off the area - always a lot due to auto-oiler :oops:
however Crap-Tartan is one who has totally disassembled his bike so I'm guessing he knows
SnappY
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Countedcat wrote:55 years agoCheers for the replies.

So I guess the summery is I'm missing a bolt but the oil smear is likly to be throw off from the chain?

Sounds solveable at least.

Large wheelie I accidently pulled last week may not have helped.
nah no harm done so long as you landed safe :evil:
SnappY
Countedcat
On the Road

Post by Countedcat »

Cheers all. Definitely lookalike there was a bolt in there until recently so will put another one back on just for the aesthetics.
Countedcat
On the Road

Post by Countedcat »

Upon further examination turns out my chain was running slack and rubbing against the exhaust. Super hot chain was then throwing all its grease off making it look like oil was spilling out.

Doh!

Learning curve.
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

for my own peace of mind Countedcat - it's not the original chain is it?
SnappY
Countedcat
On the Road

Post by Countedcat »

Would like to think not. Will check through it's service history later. Chain looked in good nick but will keep an eye on the tension incase it's stretching and needs to be replaced.
The machine had been off road in dry storage prior to me buying it so I guess some stuff will start to age pretty quickly bow it's in daily use.
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Original chain was made of jelly - and doesn't last longer than about 8k at most, so depends on the mileage, but it was utter carp

- see the thread 'original chain warning' which tells about chains snapping

I asked because since the first chain I've found I'm more likely to notice wear on the sprocket (front) than the chain stretching and needing adjustment - this could be just me of course :jason:
SnappY
Countedcat
On the Road

Post by Countedcat »

Cheers Snapdragon, As it happens the bikes at the 8k point. Will defo double check to see if it's still running the original.
Countedcat
On the Road

Post by Countedcat »

Running an Izumi replacement. The original one apparently snapped at 6750 miles.
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Post by dizzyblonde »

I wouldn't want an Izumi chain on any of my bikes after I saw a mates throw itself of his Falco down the motorway and narrowly missing my front wheel by about two inches. :shock:

Not that I'd like to be scaring folk :suspect:
Yellow 2001 SV650s,2002 VRaptor
Your Rapter looks like a sci fi robot dragon! and it breaths fire too! It singed my eye brows and boiled my eyes at the lights! smudge