Problems in the wet?

Technical stuff specific to the V and Xtra raptors
Wardy
On the Road

Problems in the wet?

Post by Wardy »

Does anybody els have problems with the raptor whilst riding in the rain? Think its water getting into or near the front cyl is there any possible way to prevent this? Or could it also be something els...

Also after a good thrashing in the dry I'm seeing little drops of oil from the underneath of bike but for the love of me can't locate where it's coming any common problems?
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Re: Problems in the wet?

Post by Crap Tartan »

Wet front plug cap is a known problem, do a search as there are a number of threads on it. So where is oil leeking? Could be chain residue from within front chain sprocket cover dripping down? Not a problem really
nil illigitimae carborundum
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

Hiya, on the LHS of the front cylinder there is a small hole, this is a drain hole from the spark plug recess, if this is blocked then water can gather around the plug causing a mis-fire.

Also, you can add a small flap of rubber, fastened to the bottom of the fan mount to protect the plug cap from most of the water from the front wheel.
152/999
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

^what they said^
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
Wardy
On the Road

Post by Wardy »

Crap Tartan wrote:55 years agoWet front plug cap is a known problem, do a search as there are a number of threads on it. So where is oil leeking? Could be chain residue from within front chain sprocket cover dripping down? Not a problem really
Deffiently not coming off the chain buddy but will look more into this wet front plug
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Wardy wrote:55 years ago
Crap Tartan wrote:55 years agoWet front plug cap is a known problem, do a search as there are a number of threads on it. So where is oil leeking? Could be chain residue from within front chain sprocket cover dripping down? Not a problem really
Deffiently not coming off the chain buddy but will look more into this wet front plug
which side of the bike is the oil coming from Wardy?

front plug and cap gets a spout of water from the front wheel and that can cause the problem, like Miz says I have a rubber flap made from car mudflap attached behind the rad which now keeps it off - after having a 'mare with a hairline crack in the front cap which caught the spout and left me with a 500 single :shock:
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
Wardy
On the Road

Post by Wardy »

snapdragon wrote:55 years ago
Wardy wrote:55 years ago
which side of the bike is the oil coming from Wardy?

front plug and cap gets a spout of water from the front wheel and that can cause the problem, like Miz says I have a rubber flap made from car mudflap attached behind the rad which now keeps it off - after having a 'mare with a hairline crack in the front cap which caught the spout and left me with a 500 single :shock:
Left hand side of the bike (clutch side) and yup I got left witha500cc raptor for 120mile back from scarbrougr lol
Crap Tartan
On the Road

Post by Crap Tartan »

Lhs could be a leak from main alternator cover or drain plug or back from there is the gear selector shaft seal?
Wardy
On the Road

Post by Wardy »

Crap Tartan wrote:55 years agoLhs could be a leak from main alternator cover or drain plug or back from there is the gear selector shaft seal?
Drain plug is eliminated possibly gear selector seal?? Easily replaceable?
Crap Tartan
On the Road

Post by Crap Tartan »

yup, easy to fix, parts easy from Robinsons foundry (TL1000s) and cheap
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

Wardy wrote:55 years agoLeft hand side of the bike (clutch side) and yup I got left witha500cc raptor for 120mile back from scarbrougr lol

There are three seals on the LHS under the sprocket cover, one is gear change shaft, one is final drive shaft and lastly clutch push rod.

All three can leak when covered in cr*p from the chain, I would suggest you remove the cover and give the area underneath a good clean, then take the bike out with the cover off (you will need to tie the speedo sensor out of the way) then you can keep stopping and checking to see when the oil leak is originating from.

If the leak is on the RHS (clutch side), from the cover with the oil filler cap and sight glass, this cover is plastic and ham fisted tightening of the fixing bolts causes it to leak.
152/999
Wardy
On the Road

Post by Wardy »

This any help? Thing is running it it's not leaking loads so hard to see
Crap Tartan
On the Road

Post by Crap Tartan »

Thats one of the three possibles, but it could be leaking inside the casing where the shaft comes out of the engine?
Wardy
On the Road

Post by Wardy »

Crap Tartan wrote:55 years agoThats one of the three possibles, but it could be leaking inside the casing where the shaft comes out of the engine?
Will take a further look tommorow but there was a little drop about 3 inch away from the drain plug.. Could be a possibility either that or clutch gasket? Hard to see where it's ran from
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

as CT says, that is the gear change shaft, to me, it looks clean and dry (although if it was leaking, it would be from the underside).

The normal culprit is the clutch pushrod seal, and if you remove the worm-drive and clean the pushrod and the surrounding area, it normally helps with the oil leaks.
152/999