What did you do to your Raptor today

General spannery stuff
Red Mist
On the Road

Re: What did you do to your Raptor today

Post by Red Mist »

Finally got round to attacking mine with some spanners. I want to dismantle the back end. Got as far as the silencers. Hmmm, rusty clamp nuts proving difficult so decided to remove all the standard mudguard gubbins, but the wires arn't going to disconnect without a struggle. Decided to halt proceedings and get back into it when I'm feeling a bit fresher tomorrow.

I've always told everybody who will listen about how good the finish is on the Rap and how well it has stood up to 3 consecutive salty winters. Well that's actually not quite true now I come to take a closer look...

Most of the screws and whatnot under the back of the bike are looking shabby. Mind you, I've never cleaned them in all the time I've had the bike, so still not too bad really.
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

Got a marker pen out and coloured in my compression adjuster dial!
Blek.jpg
Blek.jpg (84.83 KiB) Viewed 7106 times
The "damper"s supporting it gave way on a run last year, leaving the poor thing flapping about in the wind to take a small chunk out of the engine casing, so the OEM red dust cap has been replaced with a black and spiky one, for a while now. The mismatch between the black and red bugged me, so I cleaned the red (anodised?) dial and coloured it in, Mad Max would be proud, I hope!

Big day tomorrow for her, she's meeting two other Xtras for brekkie, and wants to look her best. I'll post pics, of course!
Road racing's where it's at - going round in circles all day is for hamsters.
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

That would be a sweet sight (and sound) with three xraps, enjoy the ride . Nice cheap mod too 8) yes i thought when i saw your pic the damper mount bolts looked different .
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

Well i took the bike out for its maiden voyage today, sweet bike , great brakes and the suspensions is better than average, actually i was very pleased with the way it handled the bumps , must have already been set up by previous owner ? Exhaust/engine sound is addictive! The only thing i did find is the gauges seem to be at just the right angle to reflect the light back into your face so its a bit hard to see dash lights. Not sure if it is possible to get brighter led lights for the dash?

Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

Looking good, glad you had a great day. I guess you could hunt down some super-bright LED globes, but I've never had any probs with the sun, maybe cause I'm too busy looking at the road! The only light I've ever noticed is the fuel light, and that seems easy enough to see, but I'm a short arse. Have you been mucking about with your pipes? They look a wee bit odd, hanging off brackets that hang off the hangers, aren't they supposed to just hang off the hangers?
Road racing's where it's at - going round in circles all day is for hamsters.
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

I know but its sort of growing on me now.Reminds me of the gladiators that had blades spinning off the axles 8) I shortened the link pipes about 120mm because they didnt sit right from the factory and they had a dicky upswept sort of angle. No plans to do anything else except ride , oh maybe a pc and dyno.
V4mp
On the Road

Post by V4mp »

New parts came today. :)
Begin built by mounting discs, they fitted fine but... When trying to set up wheel to forks started problems.
1. New Monster S4 spindle is different to Raptor original one, needs spacer which concentrates wheel.
2. Realized that discs dont fit to brake calibers, needed some grinding and material removing, problem solved.
3. Brake disc also have bigger inside diameter than original disc so discs need also spacers which prevents chattering
Also did change fork oil, there wasnt any big problems :mrgreen:
Here is also some pics of new discs.
Attachments
Old vs new #1.jpg
Old vs new #1.jpg (157.65 KiB) Viewed 7071 times
Disc + wheel.jpg
Disc + wheel.jpg (136.05 KiB) Viewed 7071 times
Don't ride faster than your angels can fly !
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

those rotors or discs as they are called in the states look great :toocool:
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Post by Crap Tartan »

Yup, mine are black and exactly the same. Work great once you get them centred.
nil illigitimae carborundum
V4mp
On the Road

Post by V4mp »

Crap Tartan wrote:55 years agoYup, mine are black and exactly the same. Work great once you get them centred.
Hopefully mine will work too when get them centred.
Also like very much the way those discs look :)
V4mp
On the Road

Post by V4mp »

Today I got my front installed and started to work with back.
Got rear shock of but couldnt mount new one because one little part was missing (can be seen in pics).
Attachments
Rear shock old and new.jpg
Rear shock old and new.jpg (140.08 KiB) Viewed 7048 times
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

V4mp wrote:55 years agoToday I got my front installed and started to work with back.
Got rear shock of but couldnt mount new one because one little part was missing (can be seen in pics).
nice, and ride height is adjustable too, looking forward to see pics of bike when finished :toocool:
vassilis67
On the Road

Post by vassilis67 »

This is what i have done to my raptor today...i believe rain should be illegal.

It's all greek to me....
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

:shock: ohhh, fitted mini brake reservoir
Red Mist
On the Road

Post by Red Mist »

I'm merrily snapping rusty bolts left right and centre as I 'dis-assemble' the rear end of my bike. Can anyone reccommend a good source of stainless fastners?

Also I've broken an indicator. Anyone got a spare that they could sell me please?*

*Yes I know, I know, I should fit some nice aftermarket ones but I'm having to do this on a very tight budget. :(