Neutral Light now stays on?

General spannery stuff
yeah!
On the Road

Neutral Light now stays on?

Post by yeah! »

Hello Raptor Brethren!
I fitted a Nitron Track Rear Shock last week to my 1000, and since then my neutral light stays on.... I've rechecked the cabling/connectors around both sides of the top of the shock area( to both sides of the frame ) and I am hoping somebody out there has a brilliant solution. All the bike functions are the same - except for the constantly lit neutral light.
Thank you for your fast moving thought processes even now speed of lighting on the job....
Yours sincerely
yeah!
shedmonkey
APM

Re: Neutral Light now stays on?

Post by shedmonkey »

Have you nipped a cable causing it to short to chassis? there are 2 cables that are likely, the one coming from the gearbox and the one with the diode pack(vehicle safety) I would check these first .
Bit of a Muppet
yeah!
On the Road

Post by yeah! »

Hi Shedmonkey. I checked all that I could find...nothing obvious.. time to start tracking through the wiring diagram. Thanks anyway.
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

yeah! wrote:Hi Shedmonkey. I checked all that I could find...nothing obvious.. time to start tracking through the wiring diagram. Thanks anyway.

Start with the basics, unplug the neutral light switch and see if the light goes off, if not, leave that unplugged and unplug the safety switch to see what happens.

That way you are narrowing down where/what the fault is.
152/999
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

yeah! wrote:Hello Raptor Brethren!
I fitted a Nitron Track Rear Shock last week to my 1000, and since then my neutral light stays on.... I've rechecked the cabling/connectors around both sides of the top of the shock area( to both sides of the frame ) and I am hoping somebody out there has a brilliant solution. All the bike functions are the same - except for the constantly lit neutral light.
Thank you for your fast moving thought processes even now speed of lighting on the job....
Yours sincerely
yeah!
Its funny because the vehicle safety switch that hangs around that area has the neutral light switch in it, as above check to see if its not melted down like mine was and connections are good. :D
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

Hey yeah!, come out to play tomorrow!
Road racing's where it's at - going round in circles all day is for hamsters.
yeah!
On the Road

Post by yeah! »

Hello ALL and sorry about the delay as I've just returned from 3 weeks around part of Tasmania. Yesterday I read all your suggestions, got out the wiring diagrams and started systematically tracking. I found the cables to the vehicle safety connector crimped by the top shock bolt flange... 3 hours later and now all is well !!! Thanks for for your help Spike, Ozzraptor, Miz and Shedmonkey!!! Cool people helping out......You know I spent time looking at it 3 times before but no joy. I've put off replacing the clutch plates and springs on my 1994 VFR750 for too long but this week, after returning from holidays, my head's in a good space and I replaced the clutch and fixed this neutral problem, both in a very straightforward manner. Next is to check the shim gap and balance the throttle bodies...Thanks y'all
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

Ah good stuff, yes when your head's in the right space then troubleshooting is logical! Glad you had fun in Tas, we had fun without you! :nerner:
http://www.raptorchapter.org.uk/viewtop ... =20&t=4175

Will still try and get the 5 bikes together, Easter at the latest!
Road racing's where it's at - going round in circles all day is for hamsters.
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

Ha , that pesky Vehicle Safety Sensor again. I found mine when i first got the bike in a molten state on top of the exhaust spigoit, actually not far away from where yours was so i moved mine now to the other side near battery.