exaust to cylindeheadr

General spannery stuff
dave46
On the Road

exaust to cylindeheadr

Post by dave46 »

thinking about replaeing the bolts which hold the exaust to the cylinderhead they look rusty are they a problem to remove or can they break inthe head any ideas thanke
Miz
On the Road

Re: exaust to cylindeheadr

Post by Miz »

dave46 wrote:thinking about replaeing the bolts which hold the exaust to the cylinderhead they look rusty are they a problem to remove or can they break inthe head any ideas thanke
A couple of pictures might help, but realistically, only you can tell, any exhaust bolt can be a problem, I usually try to loosen the bolts whilst the engine is still hot, as the bolts can be easier to remove, just take it easy with them, otherwise you will break them
152/999
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Post by Crap Tartan »

Hey there, I have had my exhaust pipes removed on numerous occasions over the years and I do it cold but clean as much crud away first as possible, soak the bolts etc in penetrating spray/oil and leave overnight.
Then using good quality, well fitting allen socket give it some! If it dont come easy first time I use my impact driver on it and give it a tap or two. Try again and if no movement soak it some more in the love juice!
After leaving it again for a good while (hours rather than minutes) try again.
If it dont work after that i dont know what next as it aint ever happened to me.
I guess I would try some heat maybe ( no good heating just the bolt tho`)
Never use too much force as you will just damage the bolt and end up in a worse place!
Oh, and the rear always seem easier to loosen but are harder access.
Use a bar rather than a ratchet if possible dont be scared to use a bit of extra leverage without going OTT
nil illigitimae carborundum
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

Crap Tartan wrote:Hey there, I have had my exhaust pipes removed on numerous occasions over the years and I do it cold but clean as much crud away first as possible, soak the bolts etc in penetrating spray/oil and leave overnight.
Then using good quality, well fitting allen socket give it some! If it dont come easy first time I use my impact driver on it and give it a tap or two. Try again and if no movement soak it some more in the love juice!
After leaving it again for a good while (hours rather than minutes) try again.
If it dont work after that i dont know what next as it aint ever happened to me.
I guess I would try some heat maybe ( no good heating just the bolt tho`)
Never use too much force as you will just damage the bolt and end up in a worse place!
Oh, and the rear always seem easier to loosen but are harder access.
Use a bar rather than a ratchet if possible dont be scared to use a bit of extra leverage without going OTT
And dont worry too much if it breaks, i had one break on my tl which are well known to snap off .