New to Raptors

Make your first post here, say "Hi" and buy a virtual round
bobbob455
On the Road

Re: New to Raptors

Post by bobbob455 »

Cheers for that Bear, that makes things much easier.
Managed to find time to change the plugs to iridium ones today, the old ones (standard NGK) looked ok, the air filter looked pretty new, so I didn't replace that.
I also added a bit of injector cleaner. By the time I have commuted this weekend, she should be nice & clean inside, ready for the oil change & TPS setting next week.
It did feel a little better on my ride into work tonight already.
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

welcome bobbob i usally get 110 to 120 to the tank depending how fast im going.
Bit of a Muppet
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

bobbob455 wrote:55 years agoCheers for that Bear, that makes things much easier.
Managed to find time to change the plugs to iridium ones today, the old ones (standard NGK) looked ok, the air filter looked pretty new, so I didn't replace that.
I also added a bit of injector cleaner. By the time I have commuted this weekend, she should be nice & clean inside, ready for the oil change & TPS setting next week.
I would also run some "Dry Fuel" through for the next couple of tanks, just to make sure there is no water in the bottom of the tank, as if there is, it corrodes the fuel pump.
152/999
bobbob455
On the Road

Post by bobbob455 »

shedmonkey wrote:55 years agowelcome bobbob i usally get 110 to 120 to the tank depending how fast im going.
Cheers, how much is left when the fuel light comes on?
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

bobbob455 wrote:55 years ago
shedmonkey wrote:55 years agowelcome bobbob i usally get 110 to 120 to the tank depending how fast im going.
According to the manual the tank is 17Litres and reserve is 4.5Litres, checking my Fuelly, I normally fill up with between 10 and 13.5 Litres and I normally fill up when the light starts to flash.

Do you have (or want) a copy of the owners manual?

If you do, PM me your e-mail address.
152/999
bobbob455
On the Road

Post by bobbob455 »

Miz wrote:55 years ago
bobbob455 wrote:55 years agoCheers for that Bear, that makes things much easier.
I would also run some "Dry Fuel" through for the next couple of tanks, just to make sure there is no water in the bottom of the tank, as if there is, it corrodes the fuel pump.
Dry fuel, I'll get some tomorrow, thanks for all the proper useful advise :thumbsup:
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

Welcome aboard! :thumbsup:

Nice bike you've got there, but keep an eye on the front mudguard struts, looks like you've got the older ultrathin type that are prone to breaking, especially if you ride at high speed.
Road racing's where it's at - going round in circles all day is for hamsters.
bobbob455
On the Road

Post by bobbob455 »

Spyke wrote:55 years agoWelcome aboard! :thumbsup:

Nice bike you've got there, but keep an eye on the front mudguard struts, looks like you've got the older ultrathin type that are prone to breaking, especially if you ride at high speed.
Are there stronger ones available? I was going to get a fender extender, so a stronger mudguard would make sense. Does anyone make a fender extender for these? Or is it trial & error.
Bear of Little Brain
On the Road

Post by Bear of Little Brain »

Speaking of water in the tank, check that the drain under the fuel filler actually drains fuel and is not blocked or else rainwater is retained and gets into the tank when you go to fill up. My drain was blocked and it was a pig to unblock (by twiddling little drills upwards by hand and the bloody things try to drop through your grip and get stuck in the suspension/swinging arm rather than dropping to the ground). It was corrosion/residue build up/something in the little metal nipple thingy to which the drain tube attaches.
Note to self: check it is still unblocked.
bobbob455
On the Road

Post by bobbob455 »

Changed oil & filter today, & checked TPS setting, it wasn't far out, the '-' went to the high position below 2000 revs, I have set it to approx 1450 revs, & the bike feels slightly better. It felt pretty good anyway, just the cutting out issue, which I won't really be able to check until I go back to work on Thursday.
Been out for a ride in the sunshine, and really enjoying the bike.
bobbob455
On the Road

Post by bobbob455 »

Bear of Little Brain wrote:55 years agoSpeaking of water in the tank, check that the drain under the fuel filler actually drains fuel and is not blocked or else rainwater is retained and gets into the tank when you go to fill up. My drain was blocked and it was a pig to unblock (by twiddling little drills upwards by hand and the bloody things try to drop through your grip and get stuck in the suspension/swinging arm rather than dropping to the ground). It was corrosion/residue build up/something in the little metal nipple thingy to which the drain tube attaches.
Note to self: check it is still unblocked.
Wow Beer, you were right about the drain tube :thumbsup: What a bugger to clear out. Now it's clear, I need to remember to keep putting the airline down it to keep it that way. Thanks for the tip.
bobbob455
On the Road

Post by bobbob455 »

By the way, I got fully comp insurance for £70, that's £20 less than my last bike, a 1995 CBR 600!
bobbob455
On the Road

Post by bobbob455 »

Miz wrote:55 years ago
According to the manual the tank is 17Litres and reserve is 4.5Litres, checking my Fuelly, I normally fill up with between 10 and 13.5 Litres and I normally fill up when the light starts to flash.

Do you have (or want) a copy of the owners manual?

If you do, PM me your e-mail address.
Cheers Miz, got it ! :thumbsup:
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

Spyke wrote:55 years agoWelcome aboard! :thumbsup:

Are there stronger ones available? I was going to get a fender extender, so a stronger mudguard would make sense. Does anyone make a fender extender for these? Or is it trial & error.
Carbon Fibre ones "should" be stronger, but the one I saw at TrendItaly (http://www.trenditaly.it/parafango-ante ... anguage=en) is on the spindly side again. Apparently an MV Agusta F4 one should be a straight swap, if you search on here, so I have this on my wishlist at the moment - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/360796532020
Road racing's where it's at - going round in circles all day is for hamsters.
Bear of Little Brain
On the Road

Post by Bear of Little Brain »

bobbob455 wrote:55 years agoBy the way, I got fully comp insurance for £70, that's £20 less than my last bike, a 1995 CBR 600!
Where did you get that?