Re: New to Raptors

Post by bobbob455 »

With Swinton, through Compare the Market, and I get a free Meerkat :thumbsup:
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

Ooh, I want a meerkat too now!

BTW mine seems to get an extra 50km out of a tank of 95 octane fuel, as opposed to 98, and cheaper too! Haven't noticed any loss of top end power, the top end isn't really tested that often!
Road racing's where it's at - going round in circles all day is for hamsters.
bobbob455
On the Road

Post by bobbob455 »

After the service, I went through a couple of tanks of fuel with injector cleaner, and carried out a reverse snorkelectomy, the bike appears to be running pretty good, a bit lumpy at 2-2500 revs in traffic, but a assume that's normal for a big twin, but i still have the issue of it dying if I try to set off a bit quick. If I'm gentle on the throttle, I sometimes get a hiccup, but then it's fine, if I give it a handful from a standing start it just dies on me.
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

bobbob455 wrote:55 years agoAfter the service, I went through a couple of tanks of fuel with injector cleaner, and carried out a reverse snorkelectomy, the bike appears to be running pretty good, a bit lumpy at 2-2500 revs in traffic, but a assume that's normal for a big twin, but i still have the issue of it dying if I try to set off a bit quick. If I'm gentle on the throttle, I sometimes get a hiccup, but then it's fine, if I give it a handful from a standing start it just dies on me.
There is a group diagnostic session at the end of the month :lol:

http://www.raptorchapter.org.uk/viewtop ... =12&t=4101

You say you have changed the oil and checked the TPS, what else have you done?
152/999
bobbob455
On the Road

Post by bobbob455 »

Miz wrote:55 years ago
bobbob455 wrote:55 years agoAfter the service, I went through a couple of tanks of fuel with injector cleaner, and carried out a reverse snorkelectomy, the bike appears to be running pretty good, a bit lumpy at 2-2500 revs in traffic, but a assume that's normal for a big twin, but i still have the issue of it dying if I try to set off a bit quick. If I'm gentle on the throttle, I sometimes get a hiccup, but then it's fine, if I give it a handful from a standing start it just dies on me.
There is a group diagnostic session at the end of the month :lol:

http://www.raptorchapter.org.uk/viewtop ... =12&t=4101

You say you have changed the oil and checked the TPS, what else have you done?
New iridium plugs, checked air filter (like new), put injector cleaner in fuel for two tanks full.
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

Just to rule a couple of other things out..

What temperature does your bike run at?

Do you have any play in your clutch lever?

Will your bike start with the clutch out?

If not, how far in do you have to pull the clutch before it will start?
152/999
bobbob455
On the Road

Post by bobbob455 »

Miz wrote:55 years agoJust to rule a couple of other things out..

What temperature does your bike run at?

Do you have any play in your clutch lever?

Will your bike start with the clutch out?

If not, how far in do you have to pull the clutch before it will start?
The bike runs at around 82 usually, but gets upto 106 when the cooling fan cuts in, but that's only when I've been stood for ages in traffic, or going a fair way in first between lines of stationary cars.
There is a bit of play in the clutch, but not much, it won't start with the clutch out.
It doesn't seem like an electrical cut out when it happens, it's like it gets too much air, or too much fuel for a split second, there is a faint 'pop' as it tries to pick up, but it can't, so it dies. Not easy to explain, but I think it's something to do with the fuelling rather than electrical.
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Post by Crap Tartan »

82 is a bit on the low side if that is what its sits at once warmed up and moving freely.

I would go for the black box to frig the cooling temp up a bit to see if that helps?
Doesnt really explain the cutting out but worth a try for a few quid.
nil illigitimae carborundum
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

Crap Tartan wrote:55 years ago82 is a bit on the low side if that is what its sits at once warmed up and moving freely.

I would go for the black box to frig the cooling temp up a bit to see if that helps?
Doesnt really explain the cutting out but worth a try for a few quid.
+1 it would have to be running pretty much on the cold map all the time ? wish i could help, looks like you are going to have to give the bike a thorough going through, check all sensors and vaccum lines to and from airbox ,tb balance ,tps , second air (pair valve?
I see the airbox snorkels are off , check for anything else that may have been done by previous owner that could be on the dodgy side that may lead to an answer. Tighten up everything :)
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

Just to rule out the temp, you could blank off part of the radiator, so the bike runs at closer to 90degrees, if the problem goes away, either fit a different thermostat or one of Martin's boxes.
152/999
bobbob455
On the Road

Post by bobbob455 »

I would be surprised if it was the temp, when I'm commuting the temp is anything upto 106, when the fan cuts in, but it still cuts out. Cutting out doesn't describe it properly, it's more like older cars/bikes with manual chokes used to do, if you knocked the choke off too early, and tried to set off quickly, the sudden intake of air would cause it to stall.
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

bobbob455 wrote:55 years agoI would be surprised if it was the temp, when I'm commuting the temp is anything upto 106, when the fan cuts in, but it still cuts out. Cutting out doesn't describe it properly, it's more like older cars/bikes with manual chokes used to do, if you knocked the choke off too early, and tried to set off quickly, the sudden intake of air would cause it to stall.
I seem to recall on my old bombs it was usually something related to ignition timing or bad points, it would be interesting to see how your bike runs with a pc and map. Have you cleaned the injectors ? Have a good look under the tank at the hoses and vaccum lines in red.
Spark plugs leads and ignition coils would be a good place to start! The sv leads and coils are considered an upgrade to the tl (cagiva) leads and can be found fairly cheap on fleabay
bobbob455
On the Road

Post by bobbob455 »

Could the incorrect adjustment of the throttle cables be a factor in this cutting out problem I'm having? I have adjusted them to what feels right, and the bike hasn't stalled since (touch wood). Is there any way that if the cables were adjusted incorrectly, the initial tiny bit of throttle could have actually closed the butterflies momentarily, causing the stall?
Just a thought.
bobbob455
On the Road

Post by bobbob455 »

After a dozen or so tanks of fuel with injector cleaner, and me being a bit gentler on the first twist of throttle, I think the dying issue has be one a non-issue (?).
I can still feel the engine try to stall occasionally if I twist a bit quick after a standstill, but am learning to be more gentle.
I will be taking her in for tappets, balancing etc next year, so that might help, but it's not a problem to me now, I'm just loving riding my bike.
I could do with a rear hugger if anyone has one that they are not using.
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

Excelent, glad you 2 are getting along now xx

Sent from my iPad using Technical magic
Twisted Tequila Sister