Xtra Raptor/V Raptor/ Raptor 1000 Genius's required

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
xraptor8
On the Road

Xtra Raptor/V Raptor/ Raptor 1000 Genius's required

Post by xraptor8 »

Hi all,

I'm looking for a Raptor head who knows their Raptors very well as close to London as possible to help me with my Xtra Raptor. i have a few niggling issues and also would like to gain more knowledge on things to look out for, and things I could be doing to optimise the bike's performance and general condition.

As it's a rare bike and I want to keep her for as long as possible, it would be great to find someone in the South East area who is passionate about the bike and wants to earn some extra cash.

Cheers

XR8
'Bubs'.

Xtra Raptor 239 of 999
ozzraptor
On the Road

Re: Xtra Raptor/V Raptor/ Raptor 1000 Genius's required

Post by ozzraptor »

xraptor8 wrote:55 years agoHi all,

I'm looking for a Raptor head who knows their Raptors very well as close to London as possible to help me with my Xtra Raptor. i have a few niggling issues and also would like to gain more knowledge on things to look out for, and things I could be doing to optimise the bike's performance and general condition.

As it's a rare bike and I want to keep her for as long as possible, it would be great to find someone in the South East area who is passionate about the bike and wants to earn some extra cash.

Cheers

XR8
You know i have never seen another one on the road, best thing is you can still enter it in Italian motorcycle show, gets a lot of interest as most people dont know what it is or that it is made by MV Augusta. :thumbsup: Hope you can get some help with your problem :)
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

the only Raptor 'Genius' I know now lives in Portugal,(and has possibly forgotten it all )
but there's a good few Raptor knowalots on the site, I recommend taking her to the Lincolnshire meet and getting to know some of them :mrgreen: :thumbsup:

my own 'make her last' actions have been ; regular oil and filter changes, ACF treatment, and riding (a lot)
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Post by Crap Tartan »

Bubs,
I am long way off and not certain who may be close to you to help, but if you let us know what the niggling issues are, I am sure the 3 an a half brain cells on here will be able to point you in the right direction to solving them.
Even if you cant do the fix yourself, it will be much cheaper at a bike shop if you are armed with the knowledge of exactly what you want doing.
If you really fancy a quick blast up to Cumbria I would be happy to give her the onceover.............................. :thumbsup:

This place and the search function open a gateway to a fountain of knowledge about these beasts, I know it can be a long a labourious job ploughing thru all the posts but sometimes it is the best way to learn.

I have been here for ages and yet still search around for stuff although thats mainly because I forgot what it was in the first place!!! lol

Ask away.................................
nil illigitimae carborundum
xraptor8
On the Road

Post by xraptor8 »

Thanks Crap, very much appreciated. I just wish I had a mate or someone nearby who was into bikes and could help: I'm a bit on my own with it and don't have the work space or tools/enough knowledge to tackle the more complicated or safety compromising jobs.

I'll consider the trip definitiely, need to get a couple of these thnigs sorted beforehand though :)

It's just niggly stuff really, but I'm concerned those niggles may be eating away and turn into bigger issues.

Here's a clear history (listory?) of the issues:

General: Never had any major engine/running issues, never had the 3K glitch

Nov 2011: Knocked off, so needed to replace both cans
Aug 2012: Back on road with new cans, running too rich
Oct 2012: had PC3 fitted to help accomodate the new cans, gained around 7BHP but lost a little low end torque as a result
Throughout 2013: Running rich at times, strong smell of fuel - started to notice green stains down left side of frame near small carbon panel, above footrest.
Feb 2014: Replaced clutch cable and actuator: developed 3K glitch thereafter. New gasket fitted to bottom of fuel tank to try to solve leak.
March 2014: 3K glitch becoming very annoying, and occasionally dangerous (lurching forward when taking corners)
April 2014: Green stains returned, this time more than before - still strong, rich fuel smell, particularly on start up.
'Bubs'.

Xtra Raptor 239 of 999
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Post by Crap Tartan »

I reckon Snap`s idea about coming along to our day out in Lincolnshire at the end of this month is brill, you could meet and see a selection of our bikes and get to know us and pick our brains! We may even be up for doing a wee bit fettling on your machine too.......................

Anyway you can head up my way anytime, let me know first just in case.

Back to your issues:
Sounds like you have been running rich ever since you had the PC3 fitted. Maybe your map isnt the best for your particular set-up.
Ask around on here as many have a variety of maps available that may suit your set-up better. (I`m no use to you as I dont have a PC fitted)
The map you have at present may be exacerbating the 3k glitch, a change of map may solve that but if not I can make you a magic black box that will. See this thread here
http://www.raptorchapter.org.uk/viewtop ... =11&t=3790
if you want one I can send it or bring it with me to Lincolnshire and fit it for you?

Green stains dont sound like fuel, most likely coolant, needs investigating. Is your expansion bottle coolant sitting at right level all the time? Is your radiator coolant sitting at right level?
Fuel smell, if you have fixed a leaky seal before it may have started up again, needs investigating. Even if gasket is a bit FUBAR , its easy to use a bit of suitable sealant along with the gasket to fix this. It may be leaking elsewhere however. Needs a good inspection with tank raised (easy job too)

Overall nothing much to worry about and shouldnt be difficult to sort out.
nil illigitimae carborundum
xraptor8
On the Road

Post by xraptor8 »

Great, would love to meet in Lincolnshire but depends on a few things I may have to do around that time. Would also like to get a couple of other issues with the bike sorted before the ride up.

Once again, thanks for all your replies,

XR8
'Bubs'.

Xtra Raptor 239 of 999