Hey everyone

Make your first post here, say "Hi" and buy a virtual round
ianmck
On the Road

Hey everyone

Post by ianmck »

Hi everyone. Have a virtual drink and I may just buy you a real one if we meet at some point. Just bought my first bike in 20 years and it wasn't what I was expecting but once I saw them, I can't get past what good value bikes Raptors are. Seems like the ideal blend of reliable engine, quality components and characterful design? Anything I should know? It's a pretty stock 650 I think in red; I'll post a pic when I pick it up hopefully at the end of the week.
Jericho
On the Road

Re: Hey everyone

Post by Jericho »

Hey man. Welcome! I'm pretty new to the forums aswell so I can't really say anything other than what you just mentioned. Great bike :thumbsup:

Oh, and I'll have black russian this time :happyhappy:
ianmck
On the Road

Post by ianmck »

Yeah I saw your post. Black Russian it is. Where are you from?
Jericho
On the Road

Post by Jericho »

Stockholm, Sweden. Where it's hot and humid like a rainforest at the moment :explode:

How about you?
ianmck
On the Road

Post by ianmck »

Manchester, England, where it's better than usual but rarely hot and humid. Got soaked yesterday when test riding the bike!
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

Welcome .. Up at 4am to see tother half off to the airport for work and then been out in the southern softie sunshine on mine... So a tequila sunrise seems appropriate
Twisted Tequila Sister
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

:D Welcome in

southern softie cider shandy ta - I'm riding
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
ianmck
On the Road

Post by ianmck »

No probs. this is looking like a very interesting round...
norrie
On the Road

Post by norrie »

Hi there. Mines a lager.
Oh and the 650 is the one to have. You'll get about twice the distance out a tank of fuel than the thirsty 1000. :nod:
Norrie.

Lang may yer lum reek!
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

ianmck wrote:55 years agoHi everyone. Have a virtual drink and I may just buy you a real one if we meet at some point. Just bought my first bike in 20 years and it wasn't what I was expecting but once I saw them, I can't get past what good value bikes Raptors are. Seems like the ideal blend of reliable engine, quality components and characterful design? Anything I should know? It's a pretty stock 650 I think in red; I'll post a pic when I pick it up hopefully at the end of the week.
:goodpost:

Yup, you'll find a lot of happy campers round here - the perfect blend of Japanese reliability and Italian style! Although the major components are decent quality some of the minor components, fastenings in particular, can age badly if not treated with TLC, if you approach her with an appreciation of how little you paid for a piece of exotica you'll get on swell!

If you are used to nasty buzzy inline fours you'll find a V twin quite different, what sort of bikes did you have 20 years ago?

The only common problems I can think of at the moment are:
  • Fuel overflow hose gets blocked where it comes out of the tank
  • Side stand tab is a bit prone to not pressing the side stand button in fully when you kick it up, resulting in engine cutting out when you select a gear
  • Front mudguard struts are a little spindly on the early models, post a pic and we'll tell ya!
  • Front cylinder can get a little soggy if you do a lot of wet weather riding, a reverse mudflap helps here
But all in all they're a great bike, this forum is a veritable treasure trove of info so any issues hit the search box and hopefully you'll find your answer!

And I'll join you in a black Russian, thanks, they are yummy, thanks for the reminder!
Road racing's where it's at - going round in circles all day is for hamsters.
ianmck
On the Road

Post by ianmck »

Thanks Spyke. I'll look out for those things and check the forums. I noticed someone had dropped theirs because the side stand left the bike a little too upright (I think) and I thought that about mine too - need to be careful. Cheers.
AmberII
On the Road
Facebook address thingy: https://www.facebook.com/Amber

Post by AmberII »

ianmck wrote:55 years agoHi everyone. Have a virtual drink and I may just buy you a real one if we meet at some point. Just bought my first bike in 20 years and it wasn't what I was expecting but once I saw them, I can't get past what good value bikes Raptors are. Seems like the ideal blend of reliable engine, quality components and characterful design? Anything I should know? It's a pretty stock 650 I think in red; I'll post a pic when I pick it up hopefully at the end of the week.
I buy mine Raptor 650 last Friday.
I saw here in the forum one repainted in purple - This is a beauty!
I'm agree with everything else.

Cheers!
Reading a book gives us somewhere to go when we stay where we are!
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

Welcome, great choice, my second choice :D if i were to get another bike. V twins ,they can be ridden lazy or keep up with the pack in the twisties :happyhappy: Have one on me, its barely 1 here , too cold for me not used to it i like 40c :mrgreen: and lots of beer :drunk:
ianmck
On the Road

Post by ianmck »

Thanks for the responses guys. Cheers.
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

Hi we are gathering not far from you in a couple if weeks time if you fancy a rideout? There is a post here somewhere about it!
Twisted Tequila Sister