**Emergency** back wheel needed

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
RaptorJo
On the Road

**Emergency** back wheel needed

Post by RaptorJo »

Hi All

I went for a spin over to Ashbourne everything fine with bike. On the way back, lost the back end managed to come to a stop. It would appear my wheel bearings have failed, the wheel dropped and obviously spun until I could stop (which wasn't long at all) but it would appear to have minced the wheel, I was also very lucky as two more feet and the calliper actually stopped the wheel moving so if I hadn't stopped when I had I would have been off :shock:

Anyway my emergency is that there are no wheels on Ebay has anyone got one to sell or is there one of another bike that is a straight swap I am supposed to be going up to Scotland on it a week on Friday.

Any help / advise would be great. Husband is not happy as he's away at the mo so can't assist me but is also advising me he wants me to now to sell it and get something else (after 7yrs I am beginning to wonder)

Plllleeeeesssse help :mrgreen:
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Re: **Emergency** back wheel needed

Post by shebee »

Eeek!... Glad you got away unscathed... Good luck with the search!

Sent from my iPad using Technical magic
Twisted Tequila Sister
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

RaptorJo wrote:55 years agoHusband is not happy as he's away at the mo so can't assist me but is also advising me he wants me to now to sell it and get something else (after 7yrs I am beginning to wonder)

Plllleeeeesssse help :mrgreen:
Get a new husband? :nerner:

Just kidding, does he realise how hard it is for us little folks to find a litre bike we are happy with? I know that there isn't anything out there that I'd rather have at the moment, and testimony of those on here shows that it's reasonably easy to have 100,000 miles of fairly stress-free riding goodness.

The TL motor is easy enough to get parts for, it's only the exotic packaging that's a bit tricky - but even that isn't THAT hard. I would suggest more preventative maintenance - following the service schedule, changing bearings and parts prone to failure BEFORE they go, etc etc.
Road racing's where it's at - going round in circles all day is for hamsters.
RaptorJo
On the Road

Post by RaptorJo »

Thanks for that Spyke I'll look at a new model husband it may be easier.

I've had the bike 7yrs and its well looked after, the rear bearings were changed 3-4yrs ago so shouldn't have failed so soon.
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Post by Crap Tartan »

Hey, sorry to hear about your bad luck, what miles have those bearing done? Who fitted them?
Are you sure the actual wheel is damaged/knackered as you may be able to get away with just new bearings fitted?
nil illigitimae carborundum
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

And some places can repair wheels if it is damaged, I had one done on my car and it was fine, you do wanna go somewhere with a good rep though.
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Crap Tartan wrote:55 years agoHey, sorry to hear about your bad luck, what miles have those bearing done? Who fitted them?
Are you sure the actual wheel is damaged/knackered as you may be able to get away with just new bearings fitted?
ditto
I'd go for new bearings too, seems to me a bit strange that near-knackered bearings weren't spotted on the MoT, but then mine weren't earlier this year it was my tyre fitting shop that noticed them.
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

I would also get it stripped down and inspected first before going for the expensive option.
152/999
RaptorJo
On the Road

Post by RaptorJo »

Good News wheel damaged but not unusable so new bearings and it will be good to go.

Bad News husband has won and it will be going......looks like I may be moving to BMW land
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

Glad to hear about the wheel, sorry to hear the husband has won... BMW? Are you sure?!

See you back in the spring on a fresh Raptor? Xx

Sent from my iPad using Technical magic
Twisted Tequila Sister
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

RaptorJo wrote:55 years agoGood News wheel damaged but not unusable so new bearings and it will be good to go.

Bad News husband has won and it will be going......looks like I may be moving to BMW land
I have to agree with Shebee, I found the BMW's to be vastly over-rated, especially on the reliability front, with things like final drive bearings lasting 40,000 miles (so it was more cost effective to run a chain).

Make sure you have a good test drive/ride and join a good forum for advice first.
152/999
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

RaptorJo wrote:55 years agoGood News wheel damaged but not unusable so new bearings and it will be good to go.

OH NOoooooo :shock: you'll have to wear a 'sam browne' hi viz belt, grow a beard, smoke a pipe, and wear slippers :lol:
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

I have to say I saw an S1000RR all dressed in carbon, and thought it was rather tidy! :nerner:

I really hope he isn't advising you to get a big, ugly, heavy thing - if that's the case then think about a Harley instead, at least they sound great! :bollocking:
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Post by dizzyblonde »

Miz wrote:55 years ago

I have to agree with Shebee, I found the BMW's to be vastly over-rated, especially on the reliability front, with things like final drive bearings lasting 40,000 miles (so it was more cost effective to run a chain).

Make sure you have a good test drive/ride and join a good forum for advice first.
A friend of ours has had so many things go wrong on his Bmw, he could have bought a new bike with the cost! He does really enjoy his. It's one of those big engined adventure bikes, matches his very tall self. One of the problems of bmws is once you're in their loop, it's hard to get out of, coz it costs so much when they go wrong.

...and people think our parts are expensive.
Yellow 2001 SV650s,2002 VRaptor
Your Rapter looks like a sci fi robot dragon! and it breaths fire too! It singed my eye brows and boiled my eyes at the lights! smudge
RaptorJo
On the Road

Post by RaptorJo »

Lol I will really really miss the raptor but it's time to move on, I'm sticking with marmite idea of biking like the raptor you either love it or hate. Im test riding the F800R.
I will keep popping on here as I have bits in the shed that may be come useful lol