Will Honda VTR dash fit?

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
OkBails
On the Road

Will Honda VTR dash fit?

Post by OkBails »

Hi all, I've just put some money on the bar so if you missed the shout go next door and have one on me!
I've recently acquired an accident damaged V Raptor 1000 and will be bringing it back to life as a naked bike for now and maybe a cafe racer as a winter project next year (we'll see what the finances say next year after Christmas!) it has damage to the fairing and broken horns, right indicator pod so pretty much unviable to repair as a V.
I've always thought they would make a great retro cafe racer with the trellis frame and TL donk, but for now I just want to ride it and I'll want something to do over the winter months.
I've taken the front end off but am waiting on some parts to arrive before going any further. One of the things I don't like is the dash. That poxy tacho doesn't do it for me at all. I have a Honda VTR1000 dash cluster from a 2004 model with the same 16 pin socket at the back which looks much nicer than the Cagiva unit. I was going to use it instead. I've connected it to the bike and started the bike, but nothing happening on the dash...no idiot lights, no needle movement, nada... :( Does anyone know if this is just a matter of swapping the wires around to suit the dash or will it only work on a Honda?
I've found the 16 pin position wiring colours for the Cagiva on this forum. I've jumped on a Honda forum but can't find the pin location meanings for the VTR dash.
Any help appreciated. My next option would be an aftermarket digital dash but I'd like to use what I already have.

Cheers
Bails
Miz
On the Road

Re: Will Honda VTR dash fit?

Post by Miz »

No idea about the pin connections, but I have a fairing, indicator pods and set of clocks (can't remember if they are MPH or KPH) on stock, so might be able to restore it to it's former glory..
152/999
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

OkBails wrote:55 years agoHi all, I've just put some money on the bar so if you missed the shout go next door and have one on me!
I've recently acquired an accident damaged V Raptor 1000 and will be bringing it back to life as a naked bike for now and maybe a cafe racer as a winter project next year (we'll see what the finances say next year after Christmas!) it has damage to the fairing and broken horns, right indicator pod so pretty much unviable to repair as a V.
I've always thought they would make a great retro cafe racer with the trellis frame and TL donk, but for now I just want to ride it and I'll want something to do over the winter months.
I've taken the front end off but am waiting on some parts to arrive before going any further. One of the things I don't like is the dash. That poxy tacho doesn't do it for me at all. I have a Honda VTR1000 dash cluster from a 2004 model with the same 16 pin socket at the back which looks much nicer than the Cagiva unit. I was going to use it instead. I've connected it to the bike and started the bike, but nothing happening on the dash...no idiot lights, no needle movement, nada... :( Does anyone know if this is just a matter of swapping the wires around to suit the dash or will it only work on a Honda?
I've found the 16 pin position wiring colours for the Cagiva on this forum. I've jumped on a Honda forum but can't find the pin location meanings for the VTR dash.
Any help appreciated. My next option would be an aftermarket digital dash but I'd like to use what I already have.

Cheers
Bails
welcome mate, where abouts are you? You could also use a suzuki sv dash,just a thought
OkBails
On the Road

Post by OkBails »

G'day fellas,
Firstly Miz, thankyou for your generous offer but I will be making it into a retro cafe racer long term. I bought it for this sole reason because of its frame and engine.

Ozzraptor, I'm in Perth mate, the bike came from Queensland, I believe (it was last registered there)
The SV dash sounds like a good option. Is it plug n play or does it req mods?

I've prepped the bike for licensing by stripping it down and repairing/replacing all necessary bits. I've trimmed back the fairing to get rid of the busted plastic and so to be able to use headlight and dash. It looks ok actually...kind of like a streetfighter with a big nose! Still a few things to do as you can see but they should be done in the next few days. Tomorrow I'll be at Whiteman Park on the Paso for the Italian Bike Day so not much will be getting done tomoz! Here is a pic (if it uploads) I'll have more soon.

Bails
Resurrecting V Raptor 1000
OkBails
On the Road

Post by OkBails »

....almost done....

Does the fairing look alright? I'm still on the fence on that one....maybe a Perspex screen would help.
Bails
turbomart
On the Road

Post by turbomart »

I think the chances if making the honda dash work are slim, the calibration of all the gauges are likely wrong and the ecu displays fault codes on the dash.
Using a suzuki dash from something with the same engine and fuel light not gauge would be your best bet, might even be plug and play.
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

When i bought my raptor, i had to trailer it 2000klms all up from another state :shock: I as driving 12 hrs solid each way :yawn:
I wont do that again, on the way home we went through bushfires , 38c day and duststorm :doh: Anyway to cut a long story short i didnt have to take my bike to inspection ,i did mine through a dealer that was authorized and i knew from past, he just sighted,checked numbers and gave the thumbs . Previuos bikes had to take in to inspection and they go over everything sometimes you come out with more defects than you go in for lol
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

From what Ozzraptor said, i am guessing each state has its own rules?

Sent from my iPad using Technical magic
Twisted Tequila Sister
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

shebee wrote:55 years agoFrom what Ozzraptor said, i am guessing each state has its own rules?

Sent from my iPad using Technical magic
correct,welcome bails , nice italian pair there , they are from the same genes
OkBails
On the Road

Post by OkBails »

[/quote]
correct,welcome bails , nice italian pair there , they are from the same genes[/quote]

...Aunty and Neice...! :D

A few divorces in the family have happened since...lol
Bails
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

Welcome once more, I'm also the proud owner of a local duck, a baby monster 620ie is my commuter, do you ride with DOCWA? http://www.raptorchapter.org.uk/viewtop ... =20&t=4264

I'm of the feeling that the Suzuki ECM will have difficulty communicating with the Hoonda dash, but not 100% sure, sorry. You may well find that there are quite a few rap spares sitting in garages in Perth if you know where to look! 8)

And yes the Australian states are more like neighbouring countries in Europe than the mostly-integrated Scotland/England/Ireland/Wales that Brits are used to, it comes from starting off from disparate small colonies on the different coasts I think, but it has proved VERY useful to my retaining the privilege to ride on a public road, over the years, so I ain't complainin'! :whistle:
Road racing's where it's at - going round in circles all day is for hamsters.
OkBails
On the Road

Post by OkBails »

Hi Spyke,
Yes I am a member of DOCWA, I was invited to join by Ted. I seldomn go on rides though as I work away FIFO so my breaks only line up with 50% of the rides. Also I find it verrry hard to get out of bed at the sparrows fart on a Sunday to go for a 'brekky ride' :yawn:
I normally like to ride by myself or with just a couple of other riders, not a whole group. I find it too restricting. I did go on one yesterday though. Bloody huge gathering it was too, long line of Dukes, Laverdas, Motoguzzis heading from Corse Motorcycles up to Whiteman Park for the Italian bike day. I looked out for the Raptors but could not find :( Infact there were no Cagivas there at all. The closest thing to a Cagiva were 3 MV Agusta F4's and 2 old MV bangers from ??? (They were old...very old)
I would have liked to have gone on the Raptor but was not ready...or licensed. Everyone I spoke to on the day (about 6 people) didn't even know what one was let alone looked like :doh: Next year...

I might go for the SV dash then and sell the Honda one. The bikes pretty much ready to license now but I'll wait til the paint and seat are done. The seats at Scott's Trimmers now and will be done by the time I get back in 2 weeks time for my next RnR break. I've got all the paint/supplies so will be doing that when I get back then off to licensing. My RHS Staintune muffler is dented and has road rash but will suffice for now as it has no holes. I've emailed Staintune for availability/price of a replacement but have not heard back as yet.
Bails
norrie
On the Road

Post by norrie »

OkBails wrote:55 years ago....almost done....

Does the fairing look alright? I'm still on the fence on that one....maybe a Perspex screen would help.

It looks really cool but yeah a small screen would help. :thumbsup:
Norrie.

Lang may yer lum reek!
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

Hahaha - Bails, you sound like my "brother from another mother"! Yeah I know Aprilia Bill and his brother Ted, they like an Excellent Adventure 8)

I didn't head up to the show, I think I went for a ride that day, riding bikes is always more fun than just looking at them. I happen to have a pair of mint carbon fibre OEM cans off my Xtra sitting in my garage, in case you're interested in borrowing them to get you over the pits or swapping out the staintunes...I'll send you a PM...
Last edited by Spyke on |November 19th, 2014|, 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Road racing's where it's at - going round in circles all day is for hamsters.
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

Tony did my seat at Southland Trim. was very happy with the top notch work he did.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Southlan ... 8406980591

Not 100% sure if the sv dsah is plug and play ,someone else might be able to chime in on that but i would have thought so ?