Gear position sensor - Raptor 1000

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
misternick
On the Road

Gear position sensor - Raptor 1000

Post by misternick »

Can anyone help me find a new [or used] sensor? I found one for a TL1000S but that is not the correct part, only registers whether you are in neutral or not.
Dante
On the Road

Re: Gear position sensor - Raptor 1000

Post by Dante »

Sv1000?
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

Does the 1000 actually coun the gears? It only indicated neutral. Oem might list it but im on the ipad and cannot see the images...

http://www.oemmotorparts.com/oem5.asp?M ... A-RAP-1_AZ
Twisted Tequila Sister
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

Hmm, interesting question, I thought I remembered from TRE discussions that gear position was determined by measuring some voltage somewhere, but I may be barking up the wrong tree entirely.

A quick search of the parts list didn't turn up anything overly obvious, and a look at section C of the workshop manual is a little confusing.
Page C10 talks of a Gear Position/Engine Speed Sensor, and C28 shows a Gear Position Switch, then pages C31, C32 and C36 mention a Gear Position Signal. :blink:

Not much help really, but try looking at all the fiches on the OEM parts website linked above.
Road racing's where it's at - going round in circles all day is for hamsters.
misternick
On the Road

Post by misternick »

Thank you all for your observations. I got a [fortunately cheap] used part but it had only 2 wires instead of the 3 on my old defective sensor. The Suzuki part no for later models is different so i`m hoping it will have the third wire and distinguish which gear is engaged. I used a TRE for a while and that worked so it obviously can detect which gear you`re in. Fingers crossed........
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

I have one :D
misternick
On the Road

Post by misternick »

Just to bring you up-to-date......i got the newer sensor, which does have 3 wires, and all is well once more. Incidentally i replaced the spark plugs with iridium ones and the difference is remarkable. The 3000rpm `stumbles`[as i believe the TL chappies call it] have gone! Amazing.....
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

misternick wrote:55 years agoJust to bring you up-to-date..... Incidentally i replaced the spark plugs with iridium ones and the difference is remarkable. The 3000rpm `stumbles`[as i believe the TL chappies call it] have gone! Amazing.....
really ? i must get round to fitting my new irridiums as soon as possible! I guess the rear spark plug is relatively easy to get to, not sure about the front, does radiator only need to be moved forward to access ??
Dante
On the Road

Post by Dante »

Yes you can replace the front one with moving the radiator forward.
Needs some patience but it can be done.
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

great 8)