what steering damper fits the raptor 1000
Thanks in advance
Keith
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Re: What steering damper

Post by Crap Tartan »

there was one fitted standard to the xtra raptor which will fit any 1000 raptor but dont know about any others although i remember someone else fitting an alternative that was on here some time back.
Search function is your friend at these times.
nil illigitimae carborundum
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

In my experience there is (now) nothing on the market that 'just fits'. Anything is going to require some customisation and for a raptor the best bet is to use the existing lug on the headstock and make up bracketry for the damper to fit across the forks. Just beware it doesn't foul the mudguard when the forks are compressed.

Benelux design are the only guys I found that supply mounting brackets & fork clamps see [url]https://www.bike-design.com/en/category ... ampers[url]

Andy B
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Post by dizzyblonde »

No need for a steering damper. I don't really see the point of them being on the Xtra tbh, you seriously don't need on on a V, and I honestly can't see there being much difference between the two to justify it.
I think it was just an extra unnecessary bauble to go with the upgraded bouncy bits!
Yellow 2001 SV650s,2002 VRaptor
Your Rapter looks like a sci fi robot dragon! and it breaths fire too! It singed my eye brows and boiled my eyes at the lights! smudge
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Post by Crap Tartan »

dizzyblonde wrote:55 years agoNo need for a steering damper. I don't really see the point of them being on the Xtra tbh, you seriously don't need on on a V, and I honestly can't see there being much difference between the two to justify it.
I think it was just an extra unnecessary bauble to go with the upgraded bouncy bits!
I do tend to agree if yer bike really needs a steering damper then there is probably something wrong unless of course you use it for racing then the abuse that brings may warrant a damper.
nil illigitimae carborundum
Lexio62
On the Road

Post by Lexio62 »

If you've altered the geometry, lowered the front, raised the rear - then you may need a steering damper.
I have one as standard equipment on the 748 and it works well. My race sv650 doesn't have one, and the geometry is far from standard - but all is good, however, I've had a few vicious slappers if I just crack it open without care.
Lexio62
On the Road

Post by Lexio62 »

Forgot to mention, once I've set the Raptor 1000 up, I may look into one. I've got a spare GSXR k5 unit that I may try and adapt. I've seen people tap into the frame - but might look into making a nice clamp. However, not a priority at the moment.
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

I do tend to agree if yer bike really needs a steering damper then there is probably something wrong unless of course you use it for racing then the abuse that brings may warrant a damper.
Before I changed the fork oil I would have tended to disagree - as I've mentioned before I experienced a full on tank slapper when just bimbling along.

However during a recent fork oil change it was noticed that the previous owner (ex-demo) had turned the internal pre-load adjusters upside down and screwed the damping rods way up. The effect of this was to seriously reduce the available fork travel, possibly over increase the pre-load and of course to lower the front end. All of which, I have no doubt, would have had a definite effect on 'slapper stability'.

So I, also, now tend to agree :)

Andy B
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

I've only ever had two tankslappers (Kawasaki ZZR600 and Ducati 620ie) and never ever want to experience one again so for me steering dampers and fully-comprehensive insurance are hotlist items. There used to be a few Raptor-specific ones but the only one I can see now is http://www.igt-parts.de/Cagiva-Raptor-6 ... mper-KIT_1 and that's pretty exxy so you may be best to make or buy a custom bracket.
Road racing's where it's at - going round in circles all day is for hamsters.
pod
On the Road

Post by pod »

Fitting linkage plates or dog bones to the rear suspension cured my rap from shaking its head when accelerating hard up hill going over bumps, this was the single biggest improvement I have made to my bikes handling. It does raise the seat height a tad , but its OK if you are not very short.
Stay calm.
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

My steering damper is off for servicing, and I'm noticing this a lot while running without one. I'm too short to consider jacking up the rear but I'm nearly sure I'm gonna drop the front by a couple of mm to hopefully achieve similar results before the damper goes back on. But I'm flat out dealing with bullshit at the moment so haven't even kicked my tyres recently :(
Road racing's where it's at - going round in circles all day is for hamsters.
pod
On the Road

Post by pod »

Hi Spyke, the rap has a pretty low seat height , I totally recommend the rear linkage mod, apart from curing the headshakes it gives a much more locked in the groove feeling on corners, this is counter intuitive, normally steepening the steering head angle by raising the rear or dropping the front will add to the shopping trolley effect, not so in this case.
When I contacted baines regarding this mod they explained that the stock set up is not optimal for the rear suspension geometry, the rear plate or dog bone mod allows the rear shock to behave in a more optimum manner.
IMO Cagiva were looking at the ladies market and compromised the rear geometry to get more sales.
The mod doesnt raise the seat too much, and the side stand sits at a better angle, my seat height is 32"/ 81 cm at the tank / seat interface, but I had the seat re covered with an extra inch of foam for the rider ( to straighten my legs out a little) , with the stock seat it would be around 31 ", this goes down an inch or two with rider weight.
I cant reccomend this modification enough, it transforms the bikes handling and its a pretty cheap fix as well, using the plates available its buttons. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rear-Riser-Ki ... 2a50cc9b04. The dog bone from baines was about £90 it does come with new bearings though.
Stay calm.
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Post by dizzyblonde »

pod wrote:55 years ago IMO Cagiva were looking at the ladies market and compromised the rear geometry to get more sales.
lol
Twas funny little Italian men!
I'm 5'7 and 11 stones. I'm far from short or light in weight. Seat height is a bit knee high if I'm honest though. I'm running a Totally standard V. It's got an original shock, original fork oil, original height and it runs on rails round corners, as smoothly as a knife through margarine!
I reckon tyres are a considerable factor. Not jacking up. My experience on my previously jacked up sv was way to sharp on tipping in. I prefer it a bit lazy
Yellow 2001 SV650s,2002 VRaptor
Your Rapter looks like a sci fi robot dragon! and it breaths fire too! It singed my eye brows and boiled my eyes at the lights! smudge
Miz
On the Road

Post by Miz »

Spyke wrote:55 years agoMy steering damper is off for servicing, and I'm noticing this a lot while running without one. I'm too short to consider jacking up the rear but I'm nearly sure I'm gonna drop the front by a couple of mm to hopefully achieve similar results before the damper goes back on. But I'm flat out dealing with bullshit at the moment so haven't even kicked my tyres recently :(
I think the idea of jacking up the rear of the Raptors came from the improved handling of the Xtra, as that is already higher than the standard bikes.
152/999
keithy
On the Road

Post by keithy »

Removed the dogbones from my bike will order some new ones from the posted link but want to make sure that theve not been changed, are these the standard ones ?
ImageImage