rough running 1000

General spannery stuff
cowelly
On the Road

rough running 1000

Post by cowelly »

The lesson of this is to go for a test ride AFTER you've been tinkering and not find out something when you're 200mls from home.
Thur I decided to do a throttle body balance and tps check as the bike is new to me. The bodies were fairly in sync but the tps was out so all adjusted and whoopee here we go on sat for a ride down to cornwall.
Right from the off the bike was running badly. It felt like the choke was on all the time. About 10 mls into the ride going through a busy town I realised it was smoking a fair bit with a really fumy smell. Even the van driver behind me was wafting his arms about.
20mls later we pull in and I pull the tank up and put it in check mode. it was impossible to get it to idle at 1200 it would jump from 10 to 20000 and the tps seemed out. I tried re-adjusting the tps to get it to run better but we just ended up putting it all back together and carrying on. (you know how impatient people are when it's not they're problem). It was near impossible to ride in town traffic (Taunton then Exeter) like being on a rocking horse, the worse thing was my nads were getting heavily smashed constantly on the tank! Plus I was only getting about 60mls between fuel fill ups!
Got to Falmouth and pulled things apart again. Had another go at the throttle bodies and tps with very few tools. I nearly gave up but thought I'd just have another look around and noticed the very small air tube off of the "intake air pressure" sensor. Connected it back up and all ran smoothly again.
I don't know why I hadn't noticed this but as the air box is a PITA to get back on I figured I must of caught it. I'll have to re balance and check everything again this week but hey ho lesson learned :oops:
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Re: rough running 1000

Post by shebee »

Oops :ride:
Twisted Tequila Sister
Spyke
On the Road

Re: rough running 1000

Post by Spyke »

Good to hear that no real harm was done or excessive expense incurred, those are always the best life lessons. I might have a look for this hose when I'm looking for my siamese bits, knowledge is power, as they say.
Road racing's where it's at - going round in circles all day is for hamsters.