Leaky plastic clutch cover.

General spannery stuff
kemper162
On the Road

Leaky plastic clutch cover.

Post by kemper162 »

Hi guys... having an issue with oil seeping from the plastic clutch cover. Tried trusty blue hylomar to no avail.
Has anyone found a best solution? ??: :mrgreen:
bazzywazz
On the Road

Re: Leaky plastic clutch cover.

Post by bazzywazz »

Do it up kinda loosish. The tighter you do the bolts the more it distorts. Just do the bolts up fingertight with a tiny bit of threadlock.
kemper162
On the Road

Post by kemper162 »

Cheers buddy... much obliged. :thumbsup:
dizzyblonde
On the Road

Post by dizzyblonde »

It's a common fault with all the Suzuki engine related family. From Sv to Raptor, they all get a leak from the clutch cover at some point. It's the plastic that warps.
I've had two SVs with it, and tried various things from undoing the lot and tightening opposite bolts to silicone sealant.
Raptor doesn't do it........yet!
I carry a small kids drink bottle, Fruit Shoot, with Oil if I'm off on a long run for the SV.
Yellow 2001 SV650s,2002 VRaptor
Your Rapter looks like a sci fi robot dragon! and it breaths fire too! It singed my eye brows and boiled my eyes at the lights! smudge
pod
On the Road

Post by pod »

My cover started to leak earlier this year, removed it, glued a sheet of 120 grit to a worktop and lapped it flat. refitted with the original O ring and all is now copacetic. Easy fix, hylomar is good as well but I did not need it on this occasion.
Stay calm.
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

LOL, hadn't heard that word before, are/were you a septic?! :D
Road racing's where it's at - going round in circles all day is for hamsters.
pod
On the Road

Post by pod »

Not a septic, if you mean "septic tank", schooled in Scotland, live in Scotland, technically I am a DEB ( Dirty East coast barsteward), I like "copacetic", cant remember where I picked it up, probably from a movie.
I think jack Kerouac used it it in "On the road". I read a lot.
My clutch cover has Alloy fixing screws, a stone had knocked the head off one of the lower items, this caused a lack of clamping in its section , didnt leak for about 2 years. having owned brit bikes all my life i am well used to dealing with oil leaks!
Plastic covers, not a fan, but I suppose they are cheap and light. Cheap / light / strong, pick two out of the three, this rule applies to all bike stuff.
Stay calm.