R1 forks

General spannery stuff
shedmonkey
APM

R1 forks

Post by shedmonkey »

Hi folks in progress fitting r1 forks just a couple of questions.
1 when using original wheel and yam spindle what setup have people used for spacers.
2 the caliper is slightly off centre to disc did you machine the caliper or live with it?
Ta muchly
Bit of a Muppet
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Re: R1 forks

Post by Crap Tartan »

Hey Glynn,
I used one of the raptor spacers and got the other made up for the spindle.
I adjusted the calipers outwards using washers between the calliper and the hanger. They were only about a mm or so thick. My calipers were yam blue spots.
I do have non standard wavy discs fitted but shouldn't make any real difference.
nil illigitimae carborundum
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

That's weird because my calipers are offset the wrong way meaning I need to machine some off the calipers as they are too far in already. And the raptor bearings are 25mm compared to 22mm on the yam so need a thin walled tube to space that out. Unless my setup is different.
Bit of a Muppet
Crap Tartan
On the Road

Post by Crap Tartan »

What calipers are you fitting?
What model R1 forks you using?
I am confused by the bearing issue you mention?
Sometimes stuff is never simple......,lol
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

Well usual story he said(lol) they were off a 2000 model. What is the spindle size on yours?
Bit of a Muppet
Crap Tartan
On the Road

Post by Crap Tartan »

Would have to check but I got the spindle with the forks off a guy on here who had upgraded to ohlins!
geoff
Knight of the realm

Post by geoff »

My yam spindle is 22mm diameter too, I have had to turn up some packing spacers to fit with the raptor bearings, but I have found the bearings have a little bit of wear in them, so I'm going to my bearing factors to see if the have something that will fit the wheel and spindle without my using the spindle spacers I have made, if not the I will go with stock raptor bearings and spacers.

If they have bearings that fit both the wheel and the yam 22mm spindle, I could get two pairs and zap one set to you. :)
geoff
Knight of the realm

Post by geoff »

Alternatively, having made some 22 to 25 mm spacers, with a 3mm collar to hold them on the bearing face, and enough length to position the inner spacing tube ( in the hub to relieve side load on bearings), I could knock up some for you, and make them the right length to position the wheel central in the forks, so the wheel spacers do the whole job to make life simple with stock raptor bearings.

I have stainless steel that I can use, or mild steel, but that would need to be protected against corosion.

The blue spot calipers I am using require new brake hoses, as the stock ones have a 90 degree bend at the caliper end, and blue spot calipers don't work with this.

I have not fitted the calipers yet, but if tolerances require removal of material to fit rather than spacers, I will be looking at the best area to remove material from, as it weakens the mounts, might need to take a bit off the calipers and forks to share the loss, or look at the disc to wheel mounting.

If you get stuck let me know here, and I will knock something up for you, no cost. :ride:
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

I had a look at bearings and couldn't find one that was 22 x 47 x 12 so spacers are the way to go. I was told all the calipers are the same (again to be proven) but I reckon they are 2.5mm too far into the wheel centre and they mount inside so 2.5 mm needs to come off and there is just about enough of a slight boss to skim off.

I did weld a yam threaded spindle end to the raptor spindle and machine the end down so it fits the yam stancion, but I've chickened out (they are quite thin and its safety critical) so want to use the whole yam spindle and spacers instead.

I agree re the hoses.

Where are you based Geoff? Durr just noticed essex
Bit of a Muppet
geoff
Knight of the realm

Post by geoff »

I will do some measurements and pop them up here regards spacer positioning of the wheel, and bearing to spindle, and knock some up this week, most likely Wednesday.

If you want some just shout. :)
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

I've just made some

My left spacer is 14.7mm (fat part) and extra 15mm to enter bearing ,that brings the discs central measuring from inside disc to outside of stancion with digital calipers.I have made the right spacer too long and will cut down to suit the spindle (when I get another) to get correct amount of thread. Then cut off the excess from large end. As it should end up 10mm too long yam stancion centres are 10mm wider.

I've just made mine mild steel as its all I had and will paint them
Geoff have you had a look at caliper offset yet?
Bit of a Muppet
geoff
Knight of the realm

Post by geoff »

Yes, my forks and calipers are now on, the calipers when in just right with no spacers, but I have aftermarket discs on there.

The brake pipe is not going to work, so I have ordered some new ones that I have measured up, the master cylinder banjo bolt is 10mm and 1.5 thread, the yam calipers want a 10mm 1.25 banjo thread, I think!

The yam forks are about 15mm longer, and I need a handlebar riser to get them clear of the bars, no problems with that as I wanted some anyway.

Outside of all that it's done, I stuck with the standard 25mm bearings and sleaved the spindle.
geoff
Knight of the realm

Post by geoff »

Here's where I'm at so far.
Attachments
IMG_20160704_163208.jpg
IMG_20160704_163208.jpg (205.86 KiB) Viewed 5272 times
IMG_20160704_163238.jpg
IMG_20160704_163238.jpg (245.58 KiB) Viewed 5272 times
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

I thought both ends 1.25mm pitch . Looks good .what length hoses are you ordering?
Mine will be a bit rough and ready compared to yours :(
Mine will fit without machining but disc is not quite central to slot in caliper.
Bit of a Muppet
geoff
Knight of the realm

Post by geoff »

Maybe I got that pitch wrong, will look again.

I'm using two hoses, splitting from the master cylendar, right leg is 75cm, left is 95cm, I hope that works :D