Re: R1 forks

Post by shedmonkey »

Geoff Where are you getting them from?
Bit of a Muppet
geoff
Knight of the realm

Post by geoff »

My local hydraulics engineers, but the are ordering them through Earls, I will get them in a day or so and post up some info, make sure they fit first.. :shock:

They will be carbon look braided, with dark chrome fittings hopefully, all very posh, but I hope I measured right...
geoff
Knight of the realm

Post by geoff »

shedmonkey wrote:55 years agoI thought both ends 1.25mm pitch . Looks good .what length hoses are you ordering?
Mine will be a bit rough and ready compared to yours :(
Mine will fit without machining but disc is not quite central to slot in caliper.
You are right on the thread pitch, my brake lines are fitted at the lengths I mentioned, and are spot on.

Because both lines run up to the mc, it was a doddle to bleed, took five minutes, and the lever is just how you would want it, I took the bike for a 150 mile run, the brakes ate bedded in on the aftermarket floating discs, and those blue spots improve braking performance and feel nicely, I love them, I set the forks at 6th ring on preload, (stock), 4 clicks in on comp damp, (5is stock), so I'm slightly stiffer on damping, and 5 clicks on rebound which is stock.

The front end feels firm yet plush, much nicer on the brakes, and precise through the corners, I would recommend this setup to anyone contemplating it as a relatively cheep upgrade, I think it cost me about £400, but I rebuilt the calipers, fitted new spindle, fork oil, carbon r1 mudguard and a plethora of titanium bolts, and could have had it up and running for £300. :)
geoff
Knight of the realm

Post by geoff »

Here's a pic of where it's at so far, I need to fabricate some brake hose clips to replace the zip ties.
Attachments
IMG_20160707_201436.jpg
IMG_20160707_201436.jpg (154.72 KiB) Viewed 4774 times
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

Looking good Geoff, I can't wait to get mine finished.
Bit of a Muppet
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

Very nice, plush what's that?

BTW if you get a moment could you measure the front ride height? Say from the top (outside) rear edge of the top tree. I've always felt mine was a little high but have nothing to really compare it with.

Cheers,

Andy B
geoff
Knight of the realm

Post by geoff »

The r1 forks I have 99 year, are about 12 to 15 mm longer when lifted until they just clear the handlebars, I am making 20mm risers for the bars, thus enabling me more adjustment with fork height.
I think this length difference is actually insignificant, as my r1 forks have a little more sag than the stock ones, when on standard r1 settings,so ride height is about the same, but the wheel has more ability to follow road undulations by extending the forks through the sag.

They are a more refined fork, though I have yet to dial them in,but will get some measurements for you today. :)
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Post by Crap Tartan »

I agree, I have the same forks fitted (about 5/6 years now) and they are much better quality and all the adjustment (preload/rebound/compression) is wide ranging in that you can go from hard, race type settings to soft, comfy cruising settings. In between you should be able to find settings that work for you. The blue spot brakes are also an improvement on the brembos. Much more feel and stronger hard braking.
nil illigitimae carborundum
geoff
Knight of the realm

Post by geoff »

The blue spots are lovely, my wave discs, which were new but there when I bought the bike, do give a little light buzz at speed when I get hard on the brakes, but the are still all bedding in, and hat may go once a few miles are on it, but those brakes do work well, and feel powerful yet progressive.

I used independant brake lines from calipers to master cylendar, and bleeding was a doddle, giving the best lever feel I have on any bike. :)
geoff
Knight of the realm

Post by geoff »

Andy B, on my standard forks, it was 420mm from bottom of lower fork yolk, or triple tree to centre of axle, on my r1 forks it is 430, both with wheel in air.

I have 30mm of static sag on the r1 forks with me on it, and 10mm just the bikes weight., this may be a bit out, allowing for stiction in the forks.
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

Mighty kind Geoff - just measured mine and got 425mm. So with my 35mm laden sag we get 390 & with yours we get 400 (430 - 30) so we're 10mm different.

And checking the manual they spec the bottom of the bottom tree to the end of the fork outer tube as 190mm & mine is... 180mm. This was after lifting the forks to take into account the reduced sag after fitting the preload spacer.

So does that mean I'm running about standard & you'll be a little high? :?

BTW I've fitted Renthal Superbike Ultra Low bars and I reckon they would allow a ~25-30 mm lift of the fork at the (closest) inside edge. Does all depend on the size & height of the preload adjusters mind.

Cheers,

Andy B
geoff
Knight of the realm

Post by geoff »

Yes, until I get my risers in I think I am about 10mm high.

Those bars sound nice, but I'm half way into creating some risers, and the bars I have will work well with them.

Once done and fitted I can raise the forks a little to lower my front end. :)
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

"Creating some" sounds like you've got the skills and kit! Keep up the good work.
Bit of a Muppet
geoff
Knight of the realm

Post by geoff »

It's a little bit of a challenge getting the offset right, but I will get my head round it, I'm working off a lathe, so boring the 22mm handlebar hole is easy enough, then I will have to mill the billet of ally to a template from the top clamp we have on our bikes, and cut the holes for the bolts, these procedures in the lathe too, I will mount the risers in a verticle slide to achieve the milling, with the mill cutter in the lathe chuck, that should do the trick... :suspect:
shedmonkey
APM

Post by shedmonkey »

Hi geoff
How did the risers go?
Bit of a Muppet