About time too!

Chat about anything
nickst4
On the Road

About time too!

Post by nickst4 »

I got back out on my 1K today and it was great to indulge in the reserves of power from that motor. A big but friendly animal methinks, and I do find it helpful to balance two fingers on the front brake to reference throttle movements at slow speed. Otherwise, it can make for jerky progress!

I've been coming to terms with a new helmet after the best part of 20 years with my old FM. Yes, I know the manufacturers tell you to replace helmets after maybe 5 years, but they would, wouldn't they? Anyway, the new one is a Schuberth C5 flip-front jobbie and very nice it is, apart from substantial wind noise from the base. I think it is all to do with the length of one's neck and the hunch of the shoulders rather than the direction of the airflow from a screen. Fortunately, I've been able to return to the silence I enjoyed with the FM by wearing a foam neck-support collar below the C5 that fills the gap between my shoulders and the helmet base. A bit awkward certainly, but the best solution so far, and cladding the base of the helmet with fur fabric didn't help at all!

The only thing that blights my riding of the 1K Rappie is the low seat height and the effect it has on my hip joints, which cramp up all too often when I lift my feet back to the pegs. Being able to flat foot at a standstill is great, but not when I have to start waving my legs around to ease the pain. I'm now wondering if I can get the seat raised significantly without compromising the cowl I made for the back section. Of course, raising the seat will negate part of the benefit of fitting higher 'bars. There's always something to think about! :nod:

Nick
Sheepracer
On the Road

About time too!

Post by Sheepracer »

Whats a 1k Rap?
nickst4
On the Road

About time too!

Post by nickst4 »

Sheepracer wrote: 1 year ago Whats a 1k Rap?
Oh, sorry, the basic 1000cc Raptor without the fancy trimmings of the V-Raptor, and that's me being very polite! :wink:

Nick
HiFi
On the Road

About time too!

Post by HiFi »

Quote: "I do find it helpful to balance two fingers on the front brake to reference throttle movements at slow speed. Otherwise, it can make for jerky progress!"

Just a thought, I wonder if you've got the infamous bug that makes a Rappy jerky under 2000revs? To make it go away fix the clutch switch. When the switch is off (clutch pulled in) it changes the bike to a starting map that is rich but makes it jerky. Clutch out switches it to a running map. Worn out clutch switches make it run on the starting map all the time. It doesn't take much to wear them out the little white pin just needs a fraction of a mm or two to stop working and it is very soft material that wears quickly.
andybaggies
On the Road

About time too!

Post by andybaggies »

nickst4 wrote: 1 year ago The only thing that blights my riding of the 1K Rappie is the low seat height and the effect it has on my hip joints, which cramp up all too often when I lift my feet back to the pegs. Being able to flat foot at a standstill is great, but not when I have to start waving my legs around to ease the pain.
Ha-ha-ha - yeah I hear you. The same happens with me but i get it when putting my feet down although after I replaced the rear shock the ride height at the rear improved and so did my hips.

And what ever you do don't wave your feet about whilst moving lest you catch the raod with your boot... ho hum... :doh:
andybaggies
On the Road

About time too!

Post by andybaggies »

HiFi wrote: 1 year ago doesn't take much to wear them out the little white pin just needs a fraction of a mm or two to stop working and it is very soft material that wears quickly
Yep and they can also stick along with the switch itself providing a intermittent connection. Cleaning and checking this is one of my regular 'maintenance' jobs. Although I must say I have seen the wear onthe lever and not the pin.
nickst4
On the Road

About time too!

Post by nickst4 »

Interesting comments Chaps.

I don't think I have a running issue with eg the clutch switch as the motor is super-smooth but just has a little more urge at the bottom end than is helpful when negotiating sharp corners. On the Gran Canyon (Ducati 904 motor) it was possible to alter the cable quadrant pivot at the engine to get a softer response at the bottom end from that torquey motor, but that doesn't look easy on the Suzuki set-up.

As to the leg cramp thing, the first approach will be to mount a gel pad on top of the seat to get a bitter of extra height. It may look naff but will be easy to take off for vertically-challenged riders such as the missus. And it should be lovely and comfy too! :D
Trevor68
Web Dude
Facebook address thingy: trevor.cannard.3

About time too!

Post by Trevor68 »

I attacked the seat height 2 fold, first I fitted a 3mm longer shock, then I added some waterproof 10mm foam to the seat before putting a new seat cover over it.
“Motorcycling is not, of itself, dangerous. It is however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.”
nickst4
On the Road

About time too!

Post by nickst4 »

Trevor68 wrote: 1 year ago I attacked the seat height 2 fold, first I fitted a 3mm longer shock, then I added some waterproof 10mm foam to the seat before putting a new seat cover over it.
Increasing the shock length helps relative to the ground but does not, of course, change the relationship with the footpegs. I've already dropped the pegs maybe an inch/20+mm but I'll look to see if the Matris shock on the back has some spare length, together with boosting the seat top. Nitron shocks definitely have adjustment for length.
Trevor68
Web Dude

About time too!

Post by Trevor68 »

this is the cover I used, quite happy with how it turned out.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/23466451240 ... R8Lf1NXpYA
“Motorcycling is not, of itself, dangerous. It is however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.”
nickst4
On the Road

About time too!

Post by nickst4 »

Looks good in the advert! I'm not sure I could make a good job of fitting one though. I'll see how my orthopaedic-looking mesh silicone pad works before deciding about a possible professional rebuild.
Trevor68
Web Dude

About time too!

Post by Trevor68 »

A good stapler makes it easy. :smoke:
nickst4
On the Road

About time too!

Post by nickst4 »

I mentioned that I was going to fit a booster seat on the Raptor as an experiment to gain more leg room and ease my aged hip joints. Being a thick 35mm silicone mesh, it turned out to be worryingly unstable to sit on despite the double strap fixing, although it was much more comfortable than the narrow firm seat below. Sadly, as expected, it negated my recent efforts to fit a higher handlebar and reduce hand/wrist loading. Oh, and it also looked rather gross. I think I'll just have to do exercises to make my joints more flexible! :wink:
HiFi
On the Road

About time too!

Post by HiFi »

My old granny used to swear by cod liver oil :mrgreen: :puke:
nickst4
On the Road

About time too!

Post by nickst4 »

HiFi wrote: 1 year ago My old granny used to swear by cod liver oil :mrgreen: :puke:
Perhaps our Oz friends can report on the Emu oil that was all the rage for creaky joints a few years ago? I never tried it cos it sounded more like snake oil!