Clutch slip

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
Carrag
On the Road

Clutch slip

Post by Carrag »

Hello all
my bike has been stood awhile and today I took it for an MOT. once warmed up I noticed the clutch started slipping, I thought maybe I had tightened the cable too much after replacing the clutch lever but after loosening it off a bit , it still slips, any idea's ? its worse when its warm. do the clutch springs weaken over time ? could it be something sticking like a pushrod ? really don't want to replace the clutch if it might be something else.

Thanks for reading

Nick
andybaggies
On the Road

Clutch slip

Post by andybaggies »

I'm gonna assume the cable isn't clogged up preventing a smooth action. Was the adjustment just done at the lever end? Because you really also need to adjust it at the other end first.

This is going to be done by memory so might not be exactly correct. Remove the sprocket cover and you'll see the push rod & actuation mechanism. The pushrod can get absolutely filthy/rusty/corroded which can cause a sticky action. So if you do disassemble beware the levered mechanism contains multiple tiny ball bearings that are easy to lose. I usually zip tie it up to prevent this.

Once all clean and reassembled, loosen the cable adjusters at both ends, loosen the lock nut in the centre of the levered mechanism and turn the screw in until it just touches the pushrod and then back it off 1/4 of a turn. Tighten the locknut. Then adjust the first cable adjuster (the one at the sprocket cover end) so the lever on the mechanism can move ~ 5 to 10 degrees. Adjust at the handlebar.
Carrag
On the Road

Clutch slip

Post by Carrag »

:D Thanks for the advice. cleaned and regreased the actuator and adjusted as described and everything is working as it should.
Many Thanks
andybaggies
On the Road

Clutch slip

Post by andybaggies »

Sorted :ride: