Gear Selector reassembly issues

General spannery stuff
Max
On the Road

Post by Max »

20230608_191822.jpg
Hi there,
I`m looking for some help with my raptor 1000. I took the gear selector off some time ago and when i put it back on I discovered if I tighten it up I can`t select a Gear but if I leave it loose it just loosens off as I ride it . So I must have missed something to secure the bolt in place? I can`t find anything in the box of leftover shit , and I can`t find anything in the workshop manual etc any help would be greatly appreciated
Cheers Max
swm
On the Road

Post by swm »

Hi,

Does the attached pic help?

Ciao
Attachments
1958 Pedal Linkage 02.jpg
swm
On the Road

Post by swm »

If it's just the Pedal Bolt then you've possibly fitted rubber washers that are too thick.
Picture of mins stripped down attached

Ciao
Attachments
1965 Gear Change Pedal 01.jpg
Max
On the Road

Post by Max »

Hey Thanks for that :thumbsup:
It was a wayward rubber washer, not seated in the correct place. i couldn`t figure out why it jammed up when I tightened it up. :retrophrenology: That took about two mins to set right.
So did you have the picture of yours in stock or did you disassemble just for me? Either way
Cheers Man
Max
swm
On the Road

Post by swm »

Hi Max,

Had mine all apart last year (I usually take pictures when taking anything apart). The first new washers I fitted were the right diameter but slightly thicker. This caused the pedal to bind (similar to the issue you described) so it just rang a bell.

Nice to have something go wrong that doesn't cost anything to repair :D

Glad to be of help.

Ciao :happyhappy:
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

The first new washers I fitted were the right diameter but slightly thicker
Are you meaning the two rubber rings that I'm assuming are seals for the grease? And if so where did you get the replacements?

I'm having the opposite issue to binding because the bush in the lever has worn and made the lever a little sloppy in it's action. It's most noticeable when changing down.
swm
On the Road

Post by swm »

Hi Andy,

Yes the washers sit either side of the (greased :D ) pedal shaft.
A Marine engineer friend had a couple that were the right size. I didn't have any that were a good enough fit.

I wouldn't have thought that new washers would take up play in a worn bush. A new bush is probably the only feasible option (unless someone else can suggest an alternative?), this shouldn't be a big job but not one I have needed to perform on my pedal.

ciao
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

Ah ok... I fashioned one out of some rubber tube I had in the garage. It fitted nicely but as you say didn't overcome the looseness in the bush.

I did try a classic bodge with a strip of coke can by trying to shim out the bolt. But unfortunately it has worn oval and this just succeeded in jamming it up.

As you say a replacement bush is the only way to go really & I'll be looking to sort it in the planned full refurb I'm looking to be doing.