Forkin forks

General spannery stuff
jonacol

Forkin forks

Post by jonacol »

Just wonderin, has anyone tried that hyperpro fork kit on the raptor thou ? Any good? Front feels like its got too much spring or too much comp damping, tends to jump off higher speed bumps/lumps. May be the modfied rear linkage will sort it just wondered if the hyperpro kit was any good.
Jonc
Shlockengronk
On the Road

Post by Shlockengronk »

the rear linkage does help the front tip in but the forks are still rubbish on the rough stuff. I'd like to know about the hyperpro too, i got a damper and this helps a little but just masks the problem really
Life starts at 45.......................degrees
pod
On the Road

maxton

Post by pod »

I had Maxton re work the forks.
They chuck away the tamper proof damper cartridge and re spring to suit the rider.
You get adjustable compression damping as well. Costs about £400 and the turnaround is variable , I did mine over winter, you need to remove the legs and send them off for the work.
Front end is now much more compliant, ripples and bumps no longer create "issues" with the front. Stock, the spring is a touch light and the comp damping is too much,
My bike also has the Baines rear link and Hagon rear shock , the handling is pretty much faultless now.
Cheers
Pod
Stay calm.
jonacol

Post by jonacol »

Ta for the replies chaps. Sounds like the maxton route is the way forward. Adjustable comp damping, nice, i assume u get adjustable rebound as well? The too high comp damping sounds spot on, the more i ride the more I don't like it. I may well try lighter oil as a stop gap while I save up. I'm relatively light at about 11stn fully kitted so may get away with softish springing. I found a site for moding my old firestorm forks to reduce comp damping, was very effective and all for a days work stripping the forks to drill a little 1mm hole in the damper rod. Worked a treat I was really suprised.I belive the hyperpro kit is new springs and oil so its not going tobe much different for me if i just change the oil i think.
ttfn
JonC
ps whats standard fork oil weight then?
pod
On the Road

Fork oil

Post by pod »

Std fork oil is SAE 7.5 ( from my rap 650 manual)

The Maxton rework does not give adjustable rebound damping, only compression. A total front end change from an R1 or somesuch would be needed for that.

I tried using a lighter oil before going for the conversion, it helped a bit , but not enough.
Cheers
pod
Stay calm.
jonacol

Post by jonacol »

Ta for that, it helps to have another opinion esp. when you've had first hand experience. I've been measuring laden sag at both ends and how much travel has been used by cornering and heavy braking to try and see whether the springs are anywhere near the right rate for me. Manwal says theres 120mm of travel, i recon thats probably wrong as there's slightly less than 120mm from the bottom of the seal lip to the ally part of the lower leg when the suspension is topped out on a centre stand.I can't believe that the fork would compress enough to send the dust seal right down against the ally bit, i'm thinking its more like 110mm of available travel. My laden front sag is 38mm which is possibly a little more than ideal, depends on the total travel figure really. However, it looks like I'm using about 75% of travel during cornering without any big bumps envolved which possibly means its struggling to deal with mid corner bumps either due to not enough spring left, reduced air gap or back to the comp damping. It feels harsh in straight line when hitting a bump so I'm still leaning towards reducing the comp damping somehow which fits with yours and others comments. OTOH I may go for the Ducati fork swap!
pod
On the Road

Fork travel

Post by pod »

You are bang on about the travel
. When |I had my forks stripped out for sending to Maxton, I tried compressing the legs with the springs out to see if they bottomed out at the alloy axle holder, they dont , they stop just under 10mm short.

You are getting the same symptoms I had before the rebuild.
On a bumpy rsurface, ripples are worst, the comp damping is too stiff and prevents fork movemement. I found the ride quality, at the front , pish , on the poor road surfaces up here in the highlands.
The same road sections now feel great.
I went for the Maxton, cos round here theres no great sources of front ends.
If you can get a whole Duc front end for less tha £400 then go for it.
Cheers
Pod
Stay calm.
jonacol

Post by jonacol »

Ar and theres' the rub, gettin the forks is one thing, getting the other stuff to work (yokes, mudgaurd, discs ) is another and adds to the cost again. It may be 'better' just persevere with the standard kit, but those Duke forks just look nice, esp. when nitrided 8)
elmer
On the Road

front Forks

Post by elmer »

Hi peps, just thought i would add a few note about the forks, as an 11 stone weakling i changed the fork oil to sae 5w and changed the springs to hagon. the ride was at first ok but I found out it still clattered over the short sharp stuff.
One evening I left the oil in and just changed the springs back to the original ones, a lot better.
Now fitting other forks, Ducati 996 forks and forks of this gender will not fit, the top yoke is for 50mm forks not Ducs 53mm i know ive tried that route, also you would need a set of modified Discs and a new Fender.So unless you have a large bank role dont try it, I have however found out that monster forks will fit straight in but beware the same Disc issues....!
If anybody would like to know what will fit and there are many post me a line, in the meantime happy raptoring...!!! :lol:
DeanoSeadog
On the Road

Post by DeanoSeadog »

yeah, I found the same thing. Too much compression dampening, not enough rebound. So I think going to a lighter oil will only help a little, you will end up with even less rebound dampening.
Has anyone tried the gold valves? Do they make them for a raptor? I think they reduce the amount of compression dampening, then you could put in a thicker oil. Spring rates are OK for me but I'm only 60 kg's in the nuuude! Mind you I still have the rear shock wound with as much preload as possible. And I am still grinding the exhaust slipjoints away in the twisty stuff, so I can't complain about the handling too much!
jonacol

Post by jonacol »

Racetech dont list anything for the cagivas 8-(
When i woas fiddling with my forks I did look at the bottom end of the damper tube (?) where there are 4 smaller holes, about 4-5mm diameter. I think the oil comes out of these holes on compression stroke and the flow is controlled by shims inside the tube on the damper rod (??) the shims are positioned so that their edges are about 1/3rd the way down the hole so when oil is forced past the shims they may deflect away and expose more hole, relieving the flow(???) There was two shims packed together there, I was wondering about taking them apart again and removing one shim so that the remaining shim would deflect easier possibly reducting the comp damping? Might be able to go back to 7.5wt oil then as well. i found this site to be very useful
http://www.peterverdonedesigns.com/suspension.htm
there's a useful spring rate calc there that u can get the rate from measuring spring coil thickness etc, might try that on the standard Rap springs just to see what they are.
I'd like to know a bit more about how these USD forks are put together, if anyones got a link on USD fork rebuilding I'd be glad of it.
ttfn
Jon
philattersall
On the Road

Post by philattersall »

Any other thoughts on Hyper-pro springs and oil
whilst i'd love to spend £400 on maxton forks, it aint gonna happen!

£100 on hyperpro seems a little more in my budget, are there any other companies that make springs, that people have tired?

How big a job is it to change the spings and oil?
zorro
On the Road

Post by zorro »

Hi philattersall,

Mine were way too hard,strange cos most bikes these days are way too soft anyway got mine done by an ex white power tech. who really knows his stuff, not exactly sure what he did but know he used heavier Ohlins springs,9.5 I think,usually uses Eibach but Ohlins were cheaper, re-valved them and used 5wt oil, also and this is just if not more important,type of bike,my weight and riding style. ( sag,pre-load,etc)

Because they're non-adjustable he did say it might take a few goes to get spot on,luckily the first ride/comparison was faultless,harshness totally gone maybe a bit more tweaking could have got them even better,for me they're just great.
Another option was to insert R1 internals,getting a bit pricey now but would have been a very nice mod.

Regards,zorro 8)
AZ
On the Road

Post by AZ »

Hi ,Zorro.You say fit R1 internals,do they go straight in or is there more to it,or is there any where on the net that i can get more info on this.
Cheers ,AZ.
NOTE; bikes do not have air brakes,lofting the front wheel will have an effect on a bikes braking efficiency.
dont arf get the adrenalin pumpin tho!!!
zorro
On the Road

Post by zorro »

Hi AZ,

David the guy who did my forks has a business (KROOZ TUNE) where he rebuilds and tunes bike suspensions only,road,race,dirt etc. he does'nt manufacture forks or shocks say like Hagon,incidently he can rebuild stock Rap.shocks to work much better too.
When I took my forks in we had a long chat,I asked wether he could make them fully adjustable,he could but would cost a fortune that's when he suggested R1 internals because even in stock form they are an excellent fork,Showa I think, a cheaper option but still very pricey,he then said he could get the stock forks working as well but could be a bit time consuming,on the bike....test,off the bike....adjust, maybe a few times sort of like the fine tuning part you could do with fully adjustable forks,the first ride was good enough for me,I'm no expert but they felt as good as other bikes I've owned inc.Ducati 996,Aprilia rsv and Triumph Sprint ST (with firmer springs) so and for the price $500 I'm a very happy camper :lol:

Regards,zorro 8)