Petrol Tank

Chat about anything

Moderators: shebee, snapdragon, Moderators

lingo
On the Road

Petrol Tank

Post by lingo » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:39 pm

Just noticed some tiny blisters on each side of the tank, around the Sharpe curved edges. Where the tanks painted when new or gelcoated. Can anyone help with advice...will a good run down and repaint fix this issue or is it more sinister ??

shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Re: Petrol Tank

Post by shebee » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:38 am

I was going to say that as far as i know Its almost certainly the ethanol in fuel causing the blister, we have the same problem on the Buell and others here have or have had the same problem (it also makes the tanks swell!)
BUT it seems it might just be condensation... viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3140&hilit=Bubbles&start=30?
Twisted Tequila Sister

monkeyrocco
On the Road

Post by monkeyrocco » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:45 am

Hi, I have a ccm r30 with a plastic tank and it suffered badly with ethanol blistering I treated it and my raptor with epoxy and 5 years on my raptor tank is like new, the only problem is the tank grew about about 15mm in length when it was off the bike and I had to adjust the rear mounting bracket. I cannot remember what the treatment was called but I bought it off eBay I will look through my purchase history if anyone wants to know I can remember exactly how I applied it and can post instructions if required. Bye the way the ccm tank never got any worse.

monkeyrocco
On the Road

Post by monkeyrocco » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:54 am

Just remembered it was called slosh ( not specifically for plastic tanks but it sure worked on mine ) just make sure that you remove the fuel pump and make a blanking plate.