650 vs 1000?

Chat about anything
nickst4
On the Road

Re: 650 vs 1000?

Post by nickst4 »

Nearly a year ago, I asked if anyone had experience of both the 1000 and the 650 Raptor and would like to comment. Shebee told me how to find out (buy both! :lol: ), so here goes:

The accommodation is very similar, of course, apart from the footrest position being higher on the 1K compared with the 650ie. I threw a lot of money at the 1K suspension, fitting Matris cartridges to the front and one of their basic adjustable shocks to the back and, just for once, it seems they fitted springs to both that were very light-gauge. That's fine by me, but front and back needed maximum preload to get the ride-height up. All that is to say the 1K rides better than the 650, even with a new Nitron shock on that, but there is a difference in weight between the two bikes so the greater mass of the 1K will likely always work the suspension better.

Handling of both is very sharp, with the lighter bike being a bit quicker in responses.

The interesting thing is the comparison of the motors, being as they are very similar beyond the capacity difference. With the 1K, the motor provides thrust without so much increase in rev-rate, while the 650 zips up through the gears in a very pleasing manner. I suspect the gearing and intermediate gears of the 650 are lower, or perhaps the 1K just has heavier internals and more inertia. Whatever, both motors get one up to highly illegal road speeds with no problem at all, but somehow the 650 seems the more lively.

Both bikes are great, and it's very pleasing that they have different characters! :thumbsup:

Nick
ctrr
On the Road

Re: 650 vs 1000?

Post by ctrr »

As has been already said...you can never have too many bikes! :D