NEW TYRES

Chat about anything
kev
On the Road

NEW TYRES

Post by kev »

HI ALL JUST FITTED NEW TYRES AVON VIPER SPORT (£125) WOW TURNS SO MUCH QUICKER THAN THE 021S WHAT A DIFFERENCE DONT KNOWHOW LONG THEY WILL LAST THEY SEEM TO WARM UP QUICKLY NOT SCRUBBED IN YET CANT WAIT FOR A DRY DAY ANYONE ELSE TRYED EM I REMEMBER THE INSTRUCTERS AT CASTLE COMBE USING THEM TO GREAT EFECT A FEW YEARS BACK :wink: :wink:
oldlongdog
On the Road

Re: NEW TYRES

Post by oldlongdog »

Just fitted a set of Avon Storm STs and am very happy with 'em. I really bought them because I ride even when it's raining and they have a good reputation for wet grip. But they're fab in the dry too, really composed; the bike goes exactly where I want it to. Was out today in mixture of sun and light showers and I really didn't worry about the wet at all; it's early days yet but I haven't had 'em lose grip once - not even slightly! :)
Get on with it before you die (or the law catches up with you)...
Frankiesan
On the Road

Post by Frankiesan »

Hey guys I was looking into some new tyres and both the storms and viper sports were an option. Whats the center tyre life like on these then? I do sh1t loads of Mway miles (plus I'm a heavy handed fool)

Just finishing off a set of Conti road attacks and they have been amazing, really helped my learning curve on the bike. My only gripe with them is you just can't get them warm and I have tried!

Plus I gather that cold tyres can move around a bit when on a good lean. Now this has happend twice to me a sort of loose feeling from the rear, I'm undecided as to if it's the tyres or this rear shock too close to the exhuast issue that slart mentions in the thread below. It was a hot day, very bumpy roads and I was doing, well silly speeds.

http://www.raptorchapter.org.uk/viewtop ... =16&t=2436

And no Mandie it wasn't the day we went out the other week. it didn't seem to mind that day.

Oh a bear in mind folks I've been riding since Jan so i maybe talking out my a$$ and need to be properly informed. so please, feel free to abuse me if what I'm saying is complete nonsesne

So tyre or shock is one question the other is what do we think of the following tyres if used..

Dunlop Roadsmart
Metzeler Z6 Roadtec
Pirelli Diablo Strada
Bridgestones BT021
Michelin Pilot Road 2

Any and all comments welcome :D
oldlongdog
On the Road

Post by oldlongdog »

Yo Frankiesan- we meet again!

I've also only been riding for a year so my comments have to be taken in that context too. However, I did quite a lot of research on the web and reading a few mags before I bought the Avon Storm STs. There's a load of blah on their web page (http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/motorcycle/ ... tyre&id=25) which is quite useful but shows they've been working on a silica based compound which gives wet grip as well as longevity. One of the mags interviewed their chief designer a while back and he said they were particularly concerned at keeping tyre wear even across the whole tyre and avoiding 'squaring off'.

I ride my bike fairly hard (well, I think so... I've passed a few quite serious looking bikes already :lol: ) but am not an out an out 'knee down' merchant! I'm not criticising anyone who is, I'm just saying I don't push the tyres to the absolute limit so I'm happy to include the wet weather performance in the mix. I hadn't realised just how badly the previous (squared off Continentals) were affecting the handling until I got the new Avons on. Every white line, change of surface or camber threw the bike off line. My line round even basic corners was like the edge of a 50p bit and I had no confidence at all; I thought it was something to do with having fancy Italian suspension! Being my first bike I didn't know any better.

Everything has improved hugely since I put the Avons on. I can't honestly say that it's because they are Avons or because they are new and not squared off. However, the bike goes exactly where I point it and my confidence is right where it needs to be to concentrate on getting everything else right. I can't say how they are wearing as I've only done about 1,000 miles so far and they still have those little flaps of rubber from the moulding process in bits of the tread. Only time will tell but it's looking good so far.

Another less practical reason for buying Avons is they are British and I know a few guys who work for the company; I feel I'm doing my bit for the lads and the local economy too! :D

Good luck!
Get on with it before you die (or the law catches up with you)...
RaptorJo
On the Road

Post by RaptorJo »

I had a set michelin road pilot 2 and was very happy with them, got a mix on at the mo due to a puncture, but I am fairly convinced I'll be getting another pair of micheln's. Handle well in the wet and seem to get plenty of miles out of them and stick very well. I don't go for sport tyres just cuz of the expense of getting through them. So will be watching thread for info :)
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

I've been on Bridgetones, 020's mostly
- apart from an urgent poink slip required me to get tyres and the only available were Dunlops - was Not happy with them (and sorry I can't recall which vesion they were)

I was awaiting Kev's report on the Avon's - certainly seemed to be getting some nice angles when we met
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
kev
On the Road

Post by kev »

the avons are scrubbed in now i cant fault them for grip in the dry you can get way over they do quicken the steering makes it drop in nice for the bends cant comment on longevity yet but would think they would square off if doing a lot of straight line stuff.
previous i had bridgstone 021s good in wet and dry lasted about 3000 miles thats hard riding mind no t/days
Last edited by kev on |May 15th, 2009|, 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frankiesan
On the Road

Post by Frankiesan »

So the BT021's don't last very long then do they. love all this bull they put up though.. "extended life and what what...."

A friend of Mandie82's told me to stick to a race tyre manufaturer like Metzeler or Dunlop.

Oldlong Dog - I know what you mean about the squared off effect.. only started to bother me about 3 to 400 miles ago but now it's getting worse and fast.

When I first had the set put on after maybe a week of owning it I had a similar feel from the bike you described. Goes exactly where I wanted it to made the steering sooooo much quicker too.

As for the shiney bits my mates have always called em chicken strips. If I had a clue how to post some pics I'd show u how close I've come to coming off the edge of those road attacks.. :shock: I was hoping the next tyres I get have either more width or somat as I have no idea where I lent the bike over that much and I don't wanna end up going off the edge when I least expect it..

Can get a set of those ST's for £155 though so might invest in them.
carnivore
On the Road

Post by carnivore »

Had a Avon storm fitted on the back of my V raptor about 2000 mile ago, no signs of squaring off yet. Really good tyre, warms up nice and quick even in the wet. Much better than the maxxis that were fitted when i bought it, having said that it did seem to last.
where's the bar?
mandie82
On the Road

Post by mandie82 »

Stu said possibly the Dunlop sport max road smarts????
uk.ei42.com/randiemandie
Wintermute
On the Road

Post by Wintermute »

I found the Continental Sport Attacks to be very good, they heated up well and kept the heat in them also lasted better than the Bridgestones, Am now running Maxxis softs and they are coping well, the price was good, but won't be getting more, saving for Conti Race attacks...
Keep it Real!
01 vrap, ducati yokes/forks/front wheel, clip-ons, aprillia disc's, link plates, hagon shock,TFI box, air box mod'd, tre, prp exhausts, modified monoposto 916 seat unit, new undertray and expansion tank.
ducsguts
On the Road

Post by ducsguts »

gday Frankiesan, i was told about the new tripple compound dunlops and how good they were in all conditions,so i went out and shouted the xrap some tyres, yep there great have ridden in some fairly crappy weather with them, as well as the tippical ozzy bloody hot weather and there still going strong, though i was told i would go through 2 rears to 1 front cause the front is hardly on the ground, so i highly recomend the Dunlop sportmax road smart :lol:
every corner tells a story
pod
On the Road

Post by pod »

My 650 and I have done 37K on various tyres.
First try Pirelli Corsas or Diabolos , wore the rear too fast, possibly underinflated, I now use 36 psi front and 42 rear.
Good dry grip, squared off fast though.
Then cheap MnP sets of 3 Avons, 2 rears one front. No complaints .
Rears outlasted the fronts?
Then about 20K on Bridgestone 021s , I like them, dont square off too much and loads of dry grip.
Good wear rate about 3K to the set.
Again fronts wear faster, but not by much, I think this is due to the local corners now being coated with Shell grip, yee ha even in the wet.
Now running with Michelin pilots,a wee bit vaguer feeling than the 021s , but good tyres , no signs of squaring off.
I dont do many motorway miles and have lots of twisties at hand so your mileage may vary.
I do ride a lot in the wet, but dont push nearly as hard, the only tyres I really liked in the wet were old Dunlop TT100s on my old BSA.
Modern rubber is great in the dry but modern tyres seem more like slicks compared with the old TTs which had lots of wee grooves for clearing water.
Tip to prevent squaring off, use more throttle on the bends than on the straights?
Cheers
Pod
Stay calm.
Demansia
On the Road

Post by Demansia »

I'm currently running Michelin Pilot Power 2CT's front & rear (190/50 instead of standard 180/55) & i can't fault them at all. I have used them in all conditions including track day abuse & they have never put a foot wrong. Iv'e had Pirelli Diablo Corsa's & Metzler Sportec M3's in the past, but the 2CT's are the pick so far. Please bear in mind though that i only use my bike for weekend "Vigorous" riding, so i tend go for tyres that offer grip over life.

Chad
Nothin like V-Twin Grin!!
Frankiesan
On the Road

Post by Frankiesan »

Hey folks thanks for all the input!

I did some mileage sums and worked out that I can probably squeeze another 3k out the front (I hope, less heavy braking me thinks) so going to replace the current rear Road attack with a sport attack.

If it all goes to plan I should be able to get a new full set of Dunlop sportmax road smarts on before I go to Italy on it.. Here's hoping they're good in red hot conditions!

:D :shock: :lol: :P :oops: :idea: :cry: :?: :!: :wink: :roll: :| :twisted: 8) :? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Smiley Abuse!!!!