New old bike day tomorrow.

Chat about anything
Craigfell
On the Road

New old bike day tomorrow.

Post by Craigfell »

So, after my last post on 'the rusty work hoss' I took my bits for coating and they've been locked at the coaters warehouse since :wavesad:

So, I searched and searched for a cheap bike, cause i work at the hospital & hate taking the car.. and a nice bloke at work said to me I've got a few bikes, pick one and just give me some cash & when your done I'll buy it back..

Any guesses?! I've the choice of a few, one of which was an early blackbird... cannot say I wasn't tempted but it's just too big for pratting about on.

Hope you're all keeping well.
nickst4
On the Road

Re: New old bike day tomorrow.

Post by nickst4 »

Well, we can't advise you on what to pick if you don't tell us what's up for grabs! :wink: Good luck and keep up with your noble work. :thumbsup:

Nick
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

Honda cub?
XT350?
Superdream?
Cx500?
fs1e?
:evil:

Keep up the good work! And thanks!
Twisted Tequila Sister
Craigfell
On the Road

Post by Craigfell »

It's a bloody bandit! 600cc of pure power :haha:

Always fancied one, it's wee bit scruffy, but not as bad as mine was. Now to get it an MOT :suspect:
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

Yeah, I've often mused about a blackbird but apart from chewing tyres, chains & sprockets I reckon I'd loose me licence in a week.
locked at the coaters warehouse
Yep, same here the Dukes tank/sidepanels & ducktail are in paint shop lockdown. boo
It's a bloody bandit! 600cc of pure power
In red - they all seem to be in red and sitting low on their suspension. Built for the job.

BTW with all this spare time I've given ol' Reggie a good strip down and clean and eee, not quite as bad as yours but the last winter has really affected him. I've had to replace the oil cooler cus it was caked full of mud and literally falling apart....

It's now going to be a rat bike so mechanically fine, at 60 k valve clearances are fine, but I'll be investing in gaffer tape, ACF50 & good old hammerite.
Craigfell
On the Road

Post by Craigfell »

It's blue! It's a nice looking bike to be fair, didnt like the fairing but its admittedly growing on me :suspect:

I'm gonna have to invest in gallons of Acf when I get mine back, any photos of yours Andy? I'm not even looking at the valve clearances on the rap, I know it's lazy but it's in such bad condition it's not worth it.
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

Yeah, looks pretty good to me also. Glinting in the sun and all that... :) And what is the fairing off? It's doesn't look original to me.

I reckon you'll be fine with the rap valve clearances as mine have been pretty much in spec from 35k (60k now)

Photos to follow..
Craigfell
On the Road

Post by Craigfell »

Fairing is off the bandit 1200s, but some 600 mk2s came with a fairing as far as I can find..
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

Here we go...
IMG_20200420_160830 (480x640).jpg
IMG_20200420_160830 (480x640).jpg (223.77 KiB) Viewed 6092 times
IMG_20200420_160932 (480x640).jpg
IMG_20200420_160932 (480x640).jpg (220.57 KiB) Viewed 6092 times
IMG_20200420_160855 (480x640).jpg
IMG_20200420_160855 (480x640).jpg (255.56 KiB) Viewed 6092 times
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

And there's more... and this is the second replacement oil cooler. I changed me route into work and starting using the country lanes (was going way too fast on the motorway and it was only a matter of time) however the oil cooler ended being blocked solid, and I mean solid with general farm waste...

You can't see it too well but the front cylinder head cover is starting to be eaten by the salt....
IMG_20200420_160822 (640x480).jpg
IMG_20200420_160822 (640x480).jpg (223.39 KiB) Viewed 6092 times
IMG_20200420_160816 (640x480).jpg
IMG_20200420_160816 (640x480).jpg (232.15 KiB) Viewed 6092 times
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

Andy,

That up-and-under photo of your forks reminds me I was wanting to fill a small oval depression in the headlamp fairing of the 650 which must have had a little gel sticker with the Cagiva Elefant in it just like on your lower fork yoke. I don't suppose anyone here has a spare? I thought I might try to source a similar-shaped gel Ducati badge but that really wouldn't make any sense.

Nick
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

Apologies to Craig for interrupting his thread, but I'm just answering my own plea for a badge, as above. It turns out that the little elefant shield on the lower fork yoke of the 1000, mine included, is just stuck on the surface and was easy to lift off and put in the oval depression on the screen base of the 650. No-one will notice it's absence on the 1K, and the blank space on the 650 is now filled. What joy!! :tada: You've got to make the most of little motorcycling pleasures during the current situation! :roll:

Hope all here are well,

Nick
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

Look, I know you are all agog to see the little elefant now adorning the 650 Raptor! :nod:

Nick
Craigfell
On the Road

Post by Craigfell »

Could've had mine Nick, I'm sure it's still there if you want to sling it back on your 1k!

Didn't realise it was an elephant.

Ps, any of you know anywhere I can get my vin sticker remade?
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

Craigfell wrote: 3 years ago Could've had mine Nick, I'm sure it's still there if you want to sling it back on your 1k!

Didn't realise it was an elephant.

Ps, any of you know anywhere I can get my vin sticker remade?
Thanks for your very kind offer Craig, but the 1K has enough labels on it anyway, whereas the 650 had an obvious gap.

Yes, this stylised and dynamic elephant replaced the original and rather uncool dumbo when Cagiva started to make bikes for trendy yoof. Or so it seems to me. I bet the change cost Cagiva a few million lira spent with a marketing company!

My new Nitron shock for the 650 comes tomorrow. :thumbsup:

Nick