May Day!

Chat about anything
nickst4
On the Road

May Day!

Post by nickst4 »

And still no riding. :angry:

Well, I might just have popped out to do some shopping on the newly-shocked and batteried 650 if the bloomin' thing would start! Not being sure of how best to access the top mount of the shock, I looked in at the side and in so-doing disconnected several electrical connectors. Some were corroded and got ACF50-ed and I think I put them all back when I'd realised the shock was really only accessible from below. Today I need to get into the electrics again. The motor spins, the efi pumps up but I have no idea yet if the plugs spark or the injectors are injecting.

There's always something. I guess time is abundant. :roll:

Nick
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Re: May Day!

Post by shebee »

Silly question... no F1 light?

:shock:
Twisted Tequila Sister
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

shebee wrote: 3 years ago Silly question... no F1 light?

:shock:
Not silly at all: I've not noticed any odd lights but then I haven't looked.

So far, nothing has changed with non-starting despite removing and replacing all the under-seat relays and connectors. All the fuses are OK. The FI pump primes and the motor spins but no firing. The engine kill button stops both of the above, so I assume that's OK and having the prop stand up or down makes no difference. So far, the only clue is no spark on the rear cylinder and I'll follow that up tomorrow to confirm the front is the same. New Denso iridium plugs, by the way.

Has anyone replaced the big under-seat relays? I have spares for the Gran Canyon but haven't looked at whether the schematic on the side and the terminals are the same. I hope I'm right that there's only one positive/red lead from the battery to the solenoid, from which I assume all else is powered? That solenoid is available on ebay at least.

Any ideas, People?

Nick
Trevor68
Web Dude
Facebook address thingy: trevor.cannard.3

Post by Trevor68 »

pretty sure I read another thread here where the rear shock swap pinched a wire, preventing starting. Always start with what you last touched first.
“Motorcycling is not, of itself, dangerous. It is however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.”
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

Trevor68 wrote: 3 years ago pretty sure I read another thread here where the rear shock swap pinched a wire, preventing starting. Always start with what you last touched first.
Thanks Trevor. I was about to try swapping the under-seat relays but it looks like I should whip the back wheel out again to have a good look at the wiring at the top of the shock. I'll have a look in the files here to see if I can locate the post you mentioned.

Nick
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

Oh 'rs :( It's never a good day when you make things worse....

I'm not sure its the same as the thou but have a look at page G12 of the manual. This shows the relays are used, along with the gear, clutch & side switches to provide the power for the starter & coils. So as you're starter does spin I'd discount the relays and go along with Trevor and back track on the changes that you've made.

Random thoughts:

You mentioned one of the connectors was corroded - I'd double check & clean all the ones you have pulled apart.

I've had one coil fail before now and have recently had a misfire in the heavy rain we had months ago that was traced back to the really poor connectors on the coil. Tank and air box need removing to gain decent access mind...

The cam position sensor is routed close to the rear suspension mounting bolt.

Andy B
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

OK, it's all sorted now after much scratching of head, and removal of handfuls of hair :x

I checked all the wiring adjacent to the shock which I've just changed, but there was nothing disconnected or trapped. Still there was no spark, though the efi powered-up and the starter spun the motor. Despite feeling I was probably on the wrong track, I put an order in for a new master solenoid because all the loom power comes off that, and ordered two of the big relays in from the US.

In the meantime, I decided to clean and ACF50 all the connectors I could, including to the coils (it helps to have small hands there!). Still no joy.

Then lying in bed with the Missus this morning and thinking of my second-most favourite occupation, I remembered one of the bikes refused to start because the primary connector from the kill switch on the 'bars was corroded. Was it the Raptor 650? Of course, I'd had absolutely no reason to go near that connector while changing the shock or the battery but I looked at it again and it was still rather nasty inside. This time, I really cleaned and brightened the contacts, and joy of joys, the motor burst into life! :thumbsup:

What's interesting is that it appears that the kill switch cuts the efi and the starter motor AND the ignition. Certainly there are at least ten contacts in that connector so it must do a lot. Hopefully I can pop out to the shops and buy some comestibles tomorrow morning on the little Raptor. Of course, I shall make sure not to enjoy myself. :roll: :nod:

Nick
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

:doh: I thought about kill switch but seemed to remember i got an F1 error with it, which is why I asked... sorry x
Twisted Tequila Sister