Something different...

Chat about anything
nickst4
On the Road

Something different...

Post by nickst4 »

A while back, I threatened to upload a pic of the bike that I was working on when Andybaggies was rebuilding his gorgeous 900SS Ducati. Mine couldn't be much more different, being a 1975 Suzuki GT550 two-stroke triple, but it's a joy to ride. The exhaust note is, as they say, like tearing calico, even though I'm only taking it to 4.5K revs in deference to the rebuilt motor. So different from all the vee-twin four-strokes in the garage, and it is surprisingly torquey! But a tad smelly, of course...

With luck, here's the 3-pot motor.

I have to admit the bike isn't concours, but the bits that matter are great!

Nick
HiFi
On the Road

Re: Something different...

Post by HiFi »

OMG it's beautiful, that two stroke crackle must be amazing....
sidrat
On the Road

Post by sidrat »

Love it, i have had a 550 and 750, lovely bikes, i really could do with a 2 stroke again :D
Roadsters are me!
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

Oh wow!! that looks fantastic :mrgreen: and, surprisingly enough, exactly how I remembered them :lol:

The 'Ram Air System' tickles me though.. because at the time and in my youth it seemed some fantastic piece of engineering. I think the 380 & 250 also had it but not the 750 being a water 'kettle'. I never did own a big two stroke but it and the Kawasaki 350 triple were unusual enough to pique my interest. Yeah I have heard they are surprisingly torquey but you're gonna have to open him up now and again just to clear all that oil & crap out of the exhausts :revrev:

But it does look to be a nice tidy resto... concours phah! it's only original once etc... Twin front discs do surprise me and doncha just love rubber fork gaiters and manual fuel taps. :nod:

Oooo and cross head engine casing screws.... get the chisel out.... :shock:
Last edited by andybaggies on |May 18th, 2021|, 2:49 am, edited 5 times in total.
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

Btw the Duke has reverted to type and gone back into surgery again.... :( full story later...
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

Thanks for your approval Andy!

Couple of points: Suzuki fitted cunning one-way valves in the crank-cases to suck excess oil out as it runs, but you are right about where it ends up. No rusty exhausts on one of these!

The later 550 came with just the one front disc, but a previous owner has added the second off a GT750 to this one. This would be a Good Thing, if they worked! A new master cylinder to match and fully serviced calipers haven't helped, so I'm waiting for some better pads. Early discs were never very good, unless the chrome is ground off them. I may have to get that done, but the bike is not for speed work anyway.

I'm a big fan of rubber fork gaiters: great protection and a macho look, I reckon! :happyhappy:

Nick
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

Early discs were never very good
Yeah, on all the early Jap bikes lets be frank, they were bloody useless especially in the wet. Compounded by sliding calipers that seized at the first hint of rain and winter. There's was always a sense of pride in the rusty Italian cast iron disks.
I'm a big fan of rubber fork gaiters
Same here just fantastic protection and they make a funny old 'farting' noise when pushing them about in the garage as they move up & down... :)

Andy B