Brake & Clutch Levers

General spannery stuff
Spyke
On the Road

Re: brake and clutch levers

Post by Spyke »

4nt wrote:55 years agoCan anyone suggest some nice levers that don't break the bank maybe??
Pick "nice" OR "don't break the bank", but not both at the same time! :(

My research showed the 650s and 1000s as using the same levers. I believe the brake is the same as at least the TL1000S, possibly the R, and the clutch is the same as the Aprilia RS250, so if it's adjustables you're after and you're game to try your luck with cheap levers from China/Taiwan/Hong Kong on eBay, you just may be able to get an RS250 set plus a matching TL1000 set within your budget, but I'd be wary, your brake lever is a crucial bit of kit. Last time I looked adjustable clutch levers for the 'prillers were as rare as hens teeth. :rant:

If it were me I'd just buy a black TL1000 brake lever for the meantime, and save up for the V-Trecs. :happyhappy:
Not sure if the TL1000S and TL1000R are the same, these popped up in my search:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270837511795
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400517983135
Road racing's where it's at - going round in circles all day is for hamsters.
4nt
On the Road

Re: brake and clutch levers

Post by 4nt »

Spyke wrote:55 years ago
4nt wrote:55 years agoCan anyone suggest some nice levers that don't break the bank maybe??
Pick "nice" OR "don't break the bank", but not both at the same time! :(

My research showed the 650s and 1000s as using the same levers. I believe the brake is the same as at least the TL1000S, possibly the R, and the clutch is the same as the Aprilia RS250, so if it's adjustables you're after and you're game to try your luck with cheap levers from China/Taiwan/Hong Kong on eBay, you just may be able to get an RS250 set plus a matching TL1000 set within your budget, but I'd be wary, your brake lever is a crucial bit of kit. Last time I looked adjustable clutch levers for the 'prillers were as rare as hens teeth. :rant:

If it were me I'd just buy a black TL1000 brake lever for the meantime, and save up for the V-Trecs. :happyhappy:
Not sure if the TL1000S and TL1000R are the same, these popped up in my search:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270837511795
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400517983135
Yes good point, I think I'm used to bikes that have masses of aftermarket options you can just get hold of no issue. Current levers are absolutely fine and function, just look dated.

I'm not adverse to spending my money but this is a budget bike for me so don't want to spend 100+ on levers on a bike of this value.

Thanks for the links. :ride:

Just had a quick look at the aprilia 250 clutch levers and they don't have the 'clutch in start safety connection'.

How odd that a manufacturer uses 2 differing levers!

Thanks again.
Spyke
On the Road

Re: Brake & Clutch Levers

Post by Spyke »

Spotted these today, under 50 quid for the pair, but no adjustable clutch: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260358974326
Road racing's where it's at - going round in circles all day is for hamsters.
4nt
On the Road

Post by 4nt »

Spyke wrote:55 years agoSpotted these today, under 50 quid for the pair, but no adjustable clutch: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260358974326
Good find thanks, they look so much better just for being black.
Tikka
On the Road

Post by Tikka »

I tried these levers but they didn't fit. The clutch had a lot of movement. I returned them.
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

Maybe a useful update on supply of adjustable levers. I've just bought some in from Hong Kong:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252537534737

Hmmm, thought the details would show up...

OK, so they take a couple of weeks to arrive but are absolutely superb quality in all respects and the price for a pair for a Raptor 1K with postage included is £18!! I've bought identical levers via the UK before, and they've been over twice that price. Choice of colours and lengths too. Personally, I go for the long ones because having the option of wrapping all four fingers around the brake or clutch gives much more peace of mind. Mine fitted in minutes and worked perfectly (6 span steps), giving me another great ride on a superb bike!

Nick, UK
susibee
On the Road

Post by susibee »

Thanks for the link Nick. Bought a pair for my vrap, just in case!
At less than twenty quid I felt it rude not to. Delivery was quick and they look good too Like you I chose long levers, black with red adjusters. I'll now get a replacement set for my bandit as well.
Thanks again.
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

susibee wrote: 6 years ago Thanks for the link Nick. Bought a pair for my vrap, just in case!
At less than twenty quid I felt it rude not to. Delivery was quick and they look good too Like you I chose long levers, black with red adjusters. I'll now get a replacement set for my bandit as well.
Thanks again.
My pleasure! I thought that post had drifted into oblivion cos no-one else responded. I continue to be amazed at the quality and performance of these levers, which would be at least five times the price bought from anywhere but China. Perhaps it's immoral to buy such stuff so cheap, but... :?

Nick
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

Spares are good 😁 as the owner of two curly brake levers (one still on the bike) and one straight one(I'm still keeping that one for 'best') I applaud spares collecting
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

An update on levers: after a horrible domino tumble of bikes in my garage (nine tipped over as I watched!), I've had to replace the Chinese levers I recommended above. Though they had a notch in the blade presumably to make a weak point to protect the rest, in fact the attachment to the pivoting base is the area that fails, leaving no functional lever at all, and this is what happened on two bikes.

I've now gone for folding levers from the same source, which only seem to be made with extending lever blades rather than in short and my preferred long versions. As before, the manufacture and finish is superb. The extending section is dovetailed into the base of the blade with one small screw to lock it, but it only needs half of the travel to get it to the same length of the long versions. The feel of the lever is much the same although the folding pivot adds a little slop not present in the rigid ones, and the tailored fit to the handlebar attachment/master cylinder is perfect. No more bent levers for me, and they only cost £22 post-paid!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-Cagiva-R ... 2749.l2649

Nick
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

Oops :shock:

Thanks for the link
Twisted Tequila Sister
Trevor68
Web Dude
Facebook address thingy: trevor.cannard.3

Post by Trevor68 »

Weird, I bought this exact set of levers but the clutch one is useless, flops around loose as. I'm wondering if perhaps a previous owner has used a TL1000 bracket etc.
“Motorcycling is not, of itself, dangerous. It is however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.”
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

Trevor68 wrote: 4 years ago Weird, I bought this exact set of levers but the clutch one is useless, flops around loose as. I'm wondering if perhaps a previous owner has used a TL1000 bracket etc.
Is the problem endfloat on the pivot, ie the lever flaps up and down, or is the bushing diameter far too large? In the first case, I'd suggest some thin shims and heavy grease, but the latter needs a custom-turned bush. I'd make the bush from brass in five minutes and I bet there's some clever engineers near you in Oz. Not that I'm suggesting you need much cleverness; just a lathe!

Nick, UK
Trevor68
Web Dude
Facebook address thingy: trevor.cannard.3

Post by Trevor68 »

It's both actually, it is clearly made for a 8mm bolt not 6, and also not thick enough so flaps up and down. I found a bush but the washers I have here are too thick to pack it with.

Your right though, I do know someone handy on a lathe so we might be able to bodge it up.
“Motorcycling is not, of itself, dangerous. It is however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.”
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

Strange business, but I fear the supplier just got it wrong.

I've just checked mine and the OEM brackets do have different (original) pivot bolts, with an 8mm shank on the brake and 6mm on the clutch. The blades I got are sized correctly without the need for bushes, and slackness on the fit of the clutch can be adjusted by tightening the pivot bolt to close the bracket jaws very slightly.

It might be good to let the supplier know they got the spec wrong?

Hope you get it sorted.

Nick