Brake & Clutch Levers

General spannery stuff
Trevor68
Web Dude
Facebook address thingy: trevor.cannard.3

Re: Brake & Clutch Levers

Post by Trevor68 »

apon closer inspection I have bought the same levers as yours, but from a different supplier, have requested a refund and now ordered from the correct supplier, doh.

I also learnt during this that mine will start with the clutch lever in or out whilst in neutral, is that normal, is the switch only for while in gear then?
“Motorcycling is not, of itself, dangerous. It is however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.”
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

Without checking on mine, is there a little push-rod in the bar clamp that operates the microswitch? If that got lost in your efforts, it would explain the start-without-clutch-pull situation. Either that or the levers you got don't have the requisite flap that operates the switch. My Raptor is the only bike I have that needs the clutch pulled to start regardless of gear position, and I regularly forget that. When I went to ride away from having bought the bike, I didn't know about the feature and thought the whole thing had given up on completion of the deal! :?

Nick
Trevor68
Web Dude

Post by Trevor68 »

My trek 1130 was the same, so I have been pulling the clutch in out of habit, then tried today without and went oh, cool, don't need to anyway!

Is there any disadvantage to negating the switch? probably starting in gear accidentally I guess.
“Motorcycling is not, of itself, dangerous. It is however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.”
Trevor68
Web Dude

Post by Trevor68 »

Bugger the other seller also sent the exact same wrong lever! So now I have 2 lovely 8mm levers instead of 6mm. Sigh :|
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

Sadly, that doesn't surprise me. I've had occasion before to tell sellers they've got their specs wrong, especially for rare bikes but whether they take any notice, I don't know...

Nick
Trevor68
Web Dude

Post by Trevor68 »

The second seller seems to think he has a 6mm lever that is 8.9mm wide that will fit, I have asked him to ship it.