Speedo stopped working

General spannery stuff
Aussiejoe
On the Road

Speedo stopped working

Post by Aussiejoe »

Hi everyone,
Was wondering if anyone has experienced the same problem I've got with my 2001 650 Raptor, I guess it could also happen to the 1000 model as well.

The other day I re-fueled, turned the key on and reset the trip meter and went and paid for the fuel. When I went back and started my bike the speedo/odometer wasn't working. It has a 1000cc instrument panel (white face) and it's only done about 20,000 kms(the speedo), the bike at a guess had done about 60,000km. It has a speedo healer unit so the speedo can be calibrated (I bought it like this). It had been crashed and repaired hence the 1000 speedo.

The tacho and idiot lights are working except for the speedo/odometer, low fuel light and water temp/low oil light so it's getting power. I've checked the fuses, pulled the instruments panel apart and the circuit board doesn't looked burnt out. I've also checked the connector to the back of the instruments and the main connector on the wiring harness. Tested the low fuel light and the water temp/oil light and they won't come on. They won't even light up when I first turn it on. Also tested the main relay and tried without the speedo healer wired in. I had noticed that the normal system check when I first switch the bike on where the digital part checks all the LEDs are working has been taking a lot longer to do.

Usually when the bike is turned on the speedo healer powers up and shows what percentage it is calibrated at, but it doesn't seem to be getting power.

Has anyone experienced this sort of problem or something similar? Has anyone got any other ideas what I should check or test? Any help would be greatly appreciated before I fork out some cash for the bike shop to look at it.
Treffynnon
On the Road

Re: Speedo stopped working

Post by Treffynnon »

Do you have a multimeter? If not jog down to JayCar and pick yourself up one. Then you can trace the problem and see if any power is getting the speedohealer or not. If it is it implies the speedohealer is rooted if not then you need to trace the live wire back towards the battery. Find the loose connection and reconnect it. Alternatively there might be a snapped or snagged wire that you might need to resolder.
Aussiejoe
On the Road

Post by Aussiejoe »

Thanks Treffy for the post mate. Have got a multi-meter and the speedo healer isn't getting any power, the speedo just shows zero when the healer/speed sensor isn't connected anyway normally. From the wiring diagram (using a 1000 one as there seems not to be one for the 650, please correct me if I'm wrong), two of the three wires run from the speed sensor into the instruments(the other wire is an earth), and obviously returns to power(battery) from here. I will do a continuity test from the speed sensor connection into the instruments and back out to the battery to check the wiring/connections. Hadn't thought of doing that until you jogged my memory.

I'm starting to think the LCD display has a problem somewhere as it also took out the low fuel and temp/oil light. If the other tests check okay, I think the shop where I bought my bike has a 1000 for sale, will take the instruments off my bike over there and see if they'd mind plugging it into a fully functioning bike so I can rule out the LCD display for certain.

If all else fails, will just put on an Acewell instrument panel, looks like they'll actually go close to bolting straight on with the optional mounting bracket. They can use hall effect sensors or reed switches, so I can still retain the original speed sensor.

If anyone happens to have a speed sensor break on their 650, RS components here in Australia sell a hall effect sensor that only needs about an 18mm spacer on the body(31.8mm long part), they're a lot cheaper than what Cagiva wants for one, but you would have to wire it in yourself.
http://australia.rs-online.com/web/sear ... all+effect
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

errm, I can see from the amount of views and shortage of replies that it's not just me with no idea, sorry joe
SnappY
~~X~X~{:>
Aussiejoe
On the Road

Post by Aussiejoe »

No worries Snappy :thumbsup: , I was just hoping someone might of had a similar problem to me. Checked the bike shop where I bought mine today, and they have an xtra raptor and a 650 i.e. so I should be able to test my speedo on another bike. That's Allbikes on Moss Street at Slacks Creek in Brisbane, they have given me awesome back up since I bought my bike about 18 months ago.

The Acewell speedo is looking like the best option if the speedo is stuffed, the Cagiva shop down the Gold Coast can't even give me a price on one!!! My bike is completely original and I liked it that way, but if I change something to non-original it means I'll go to town(with the availability and price of spares, I have to do it sometime), have been thinking about fitting a set of these as well when I change the speedo.
http://www.aztec8.com/catalog/i207.html
Will give my bike an even more unique look and I can lose those cheap, crappy looking plastic bits around the headlight.

I love my Raptor to bits, thought about changing bikes to something more practical but I don't think I ever could. Even the chicks in my life know they take second place to Mistress Cagiva, so they should, cause I'll always be riding her harder and longer than them :lol:
Treffynnon
On the Road

Post by Treffynnon »

I would just paint the plastic black to make it blend in rather than going for those lights. I think it is some one on here that did a conversion with a Benelli headlight, which looks pretty good. http://www.raptorchapter.org.uk/viewtop ... lli#p20188
Aussiejoe
On the Road

Post by Aussiejoe »

I have seen pics of that bike before Treffy, and I don't really like it, plus one of those headlights would cost a small fortune. Looking to go for something aftermarket(non-genuine) but I greatly appreciate your input mate :happyhappy:
pod
On the Road

Post by pod »

i think you can rule out the speed sensor , Ive had that fail on my 650 and the fuel lights and stuff kept working,.
not much help I know but it gets rid of one variable.
Pod
Stay calm.
Aussiejoe
On the Road

Post by Aussiejoe »

Thanks Pod, I did have my speed sensor disconnected for a couple of days last year because the speedo was bouncing around all over the place, would be doing a 100km/h and it's bounce around from 0 to 320km/h. Everything else kept working while I had it disconnected. Turned out the bike shop has stuffed up the wiring when they put the speedo healer in. Starting to think the speedo bouncing around has been the cause of the LCD panel failing.
tyremuncher
On the Road
Facebook address thingy: danny moore , hawick

Post by tyremuncher »

just my 2 pence worth,would it be worth checking the sensor at the front cog,could be gummed up with shite,
i dont need sex,the government fu*k me everyday
HydE
On the Road

Post by HydE »

Hi all, Hyde here.

i am looking for some advice on this topic so i will just post in this topic...
i own 2005 1000 and after some few quick trips with my buddy on his SV my speedometer stopped working as well. the bike panel shown no speed, trip distance or total km driven.. only thing that can be seen is the bike temp:D i managed to get my speed back again after i refueled, but that trick only worked once. no it doesnt show and speed/travel info. im new to working on cagiva bikes, i revived few suzukis but here i dont really know where to start, and due to limited or non-existing spare parts im extra cautious. but my technical check is coming up in May so im forced at last to start working on it.

Cheers from Slovenia,
Hyde
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

I'm not an expert, but since the speedo works electronically off a sensor over the gearbox sprocket, I'd look at that for loose wires or muck on the sensor. Then the plugs that go into the speedo head, in case they've worked loose.
Good luck!
Nick
Aussiejoe
On the Road

Post by Aussiejoe »

Hi Hyde, welcome in! I ended up replacing the instrument panel. The bike shop had put in a speedo healer for a SV650 and the connectors were different to the Raptors, they had cut bits out of the plugs to make it fit, which gave a bad connection which in the end I believe caused the instruments to fail. I suggest getting some electrical contact cleaner in a spray can, and cleaning the plug that goes into the back of the instruments, and the one that come from the speed sensor on the front sprocket cover. That plug may be under the seat or fuel tank. You'll find that the Cagivas have a few issues with corrosion on electrical terminals.
HydE
On the Road

Post by HydE »

Hey guys, im back with an update

thanks to Nickst4 and Aussiejoe for feedback. I checked the back of the dashboard and the sensor for any bad contacts but everything was ok. however i did notice some empty holes on the sprocket. Here few little rods are missing right?

cheers,
HydE
Attachments
front sprocket
front sprocket
20210405_141215 (3.jpg (49.81 KiB) Viewed 3693 times
sensor
sensor
20210405_141135.gif (30.05 KiB) Viewed 3693 times
back of the dashboard
back of the dashboard
20210405_133217 (3).jpg (201.33 KiB) Viewed 3693 times
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

Wow! Someone's been in there alright. If you look at the item in our friend's recent post about getting the sprocket nut off, you'll see the trigger should have multiple square blocks to it. I reckon someone was trying to recalibrate your bike speedo for their own particular purpose, cos those are just lengths of rod pushed into holes. Amazing!

Nick