thermostat for the 1000

General spannery stuff
Crap Tartan
On the Road
Location: Sitting in front of the screen in Portpatrick again

Re: thermostat for the 1000

Post by Crap Tartan »

The ECM uses the o/p from the IAT to decide what map to use depending on temp, the thermostat in the radiator is only to switch the fan when required i believe. The other thermostat just opens the cooling cct.

Anyway i have my pot wired in parallel to the IAT sensor to frig its o/p to the ECM
nil illigitimae carborundum
TLPower
On the Road

Post by TLPower »

Great minds..........http://www.tlzone.net/forums/help-forum ... d-map.html think alike.

Thanks for the link to the variable resistor.

Works like a charm.

Now to fit a TLS 1000 ECU.

Cheers.
ozzraptor
On the Road

Post by ozzraptor »

Crap Tartan wrote:55 years agoglad the mod has worked for you too!

I have a variable pot in my black box so i can fine tune in the future if I want to (its a 0-2.5k res)
Crap tartan black box :toocool: , just remember to switch off for cold start! Now i am getting one of these fan switch!
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

Hmm, well after reading this thread I'm a little confused, it's a bit over my head TBH. :?

My 3k glitch has gotten worse since I changed the coolant - bike used to take 5 mins to warm up, she now takes a bit longer. However it isn't a such a drama that I've felt the need to "do something" as yet, it just means I set off in temperature mode, then switch to trip meter once it's warmed up. My remaining fuel guesstimate is usually more important to me as I do long free-flowing country runs, bike temp usually reads 100ish I think, I suspect the fan only ever kicks in on the very rare occasions I get held up at traffic lights. My rap is my weekend warrior and my POS duke is my commuter. I'm generally a "less is more" kinda person so I'm not that motivated to add a black box and fan switch to my list of things I've mucked around with, but the idea of using a thermostat that "opens later" to get the bike up to temp and past the 3k glitch more quickly does seem to have potential. Can someone please explain if this is possible or will the ECM still force the 3k glitch due to its programming or even move the glitch somewhere else?
Road racing's where it's at - going round in circles all day is for hamsters.
Crap Tartan
On the Road

Post by Crap Tartan »

Spike, the black box I use and many other on here gets rid of the symptoms of the 3k glitch by fooling the ECU into thinking the engine is running much hotter thus the ECM moves onto the smoother map.
The switch just switches the variable resistor in/out of the IAT circuit in parallel.
This allows you to control its operation and do cold starts without the circuit switched in.
The variable resistor is a bit of overkill really as a set value resisitor would work just as well in parallel but it does allow fine tuning of the circuit to compensate for differances in other peoples bikes, ambient temperature and ECM settings.
I dont have the fan override switch, never felt the need but I am in a colder climate.
Lots of people on here have now fitted my black box and everyone has noticed the differance in that the 3k glitch no longer has to effect your riding.
There are a number of threads about it so read away and make your own mind up mate.
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

Ah, thanks CT, it seems like the ECM is really the boss then. :boss:

The glitch isn't a biggie for me for the moment - by the time I get out of town she's warm, and by the time I've stopped and had my coffee she's still a bit warm, but I'll put a black box onto my "maybe someday" list!
Crap Tartan
On the Road

Post by Crap Tartan »

make one up, its less than a tenner in parts and even if you have it fitted, its up to you if you turn it on or not!

Wired up and fitted it does nothing to the bike unless you switch it on....................

Switched on, its byebye to 3k glitch forever...........................

YOU decide :tumbleweed: :whistle: :smoke:
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

Very tempting, but I have way too many projects on the go already. Dunno how I ever had time to work! BUT if I make the progress I expect to make with my lenses this week I may be in the market for one of yours round chrissy!
turbomart
On the Road

Post by turbomart »

I fitted a hotter thermostat to my 1000 not because of any glitch but because of fuel economy and trying to reduce wear and tear. Motors wear more when they are below operating temp.
I used the stock (91 deg celcius) thermostat from a daihatsu charade 3cyl. but it also fits a lot of other cars including a lot of small suzukis.
The Rap heats up slightly faster now but most importantly it stays above 80 deg even on cold days on the hwy.
I used to tape up 2/3 of the radiator and it often still didnt stay warm.
Ive not noticed any negatives , the motor doesnt get any hotter on hot days than before and the thermostate was a straight fit.
It wasnt all that hard to fit as some have said, took me about 15 min once the tank and seat was off.
Spyke
On the Road

Post by Spyke »

Thanks turbomart, it's handy to know the Daihatsu part's a fairly straight swap. I certainly don't have a problem keeping her warm, this is all good food for thought.
Anakist
On the Road

Post by Anakist »

turbomart wrote:55 years ago91c Thermostat
Got the part number for it? Easier to eBay for one with a part number!

James
Trevor68
Web Dude
Facebook address thingy: trevor.cannard.3

Post by Trevor68 »

Tridon TT239-192 seems to fit well
“Motorcycling is not, of itself, dangerous. It is however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity.”