Exhausting tales

General spannery stuff
andybaggies
On the Road

Exhausting tales

Post by andybaggies »

The rear exhaust union starting blowing (again) so set to on repairs, it’s a ‘kin horrid job :angry: , only to discover the metal strap welded to the LHS link pipe to allow it to clamped to the frame had snapped. Although it’s bolted through a rubber bung it had obviously stress fractured.

The RHS one had previously fractured at the frame side and disappeared down the road many moons ago. It does seem to be a vibration point. Hey ho on we go…

But when I removed the cans the LHS also had a fractured tab at the end of the link pipe, rs. Deffo vibration which no doubt contributed to the blown union. And I’m not sure it's going to seal probably when refitted either, double rs.

So a quick ebay and I see MTC have a replacement ready and after reading recommendations from this site & others I order a set. And what fantastic service from Martin. I ordered them on the 21st, he called me back 30 mins later to confirm when I would need them, and will come in on the Saturday to get them delivered to me on the 27th. Superb? I’d say :thumbsup:

So I’m hoping the new lighter exhaust with a union at both ends of the link pipe will allow enough, gentler, movement to prevent further trouble. And the expected improvement in sound will at least wake me up in the mornings if not the neighbours, ho hum.

Crobba, crobba :ride:
andybaggies
On the Road

Re: Exhausting tales

Post by andybaggies »

This was my second time replacing the union gasket and refitting went much easier this time. A couple of tips that may help others is to initially check the exhaust gasket thingymebob fits easily into the union pipe. Judicious gentle ‘bending’ of the tabs may be required.

Fit the spacer ring & gasket onto the rear header pipe and hold ‘em in place with a smear of exhaust gasket. I also chamfered the inside of the gasket to help slide it on and chamfered the outside at the bottom to help fitting the front header/union pipe. This stops it catching and being mangled out of shape. They’re really soft & can be shaped by a round screw driver handle or some such.

Offer the front pipe up to the cylinder port but don’t fit it into the recess yet. First check the union pipe has cleared the rear underside frame rail and is located on the rear header – but don’t slide it over the gasket. The front can then be erm… eased into it’s recess with the clamp to hold it in place.

The union can be then slid over the gasket but again a little persuasion is required by levering it backwards to stop it scraping the gasket. For me this slid over so easy I nearly congratulated meself :woot:

An insurance smear of sealant around the spacer & joint tighten up the clamps front & rear and we’re all sorted. Hurrah!
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

Hi Andy,

You've just reminded me of the awkward job I had replacing the OEM exhaust after having the pipes polished. It was worth doing though, as the pipes are so much easier to keep looking presentable. Not that they have to do daily commuting service like yours! :lol:

Nick
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

Thanks for the tips! :thumbsup:
Twisted Tequila Sister