Help with non starting

General spannery stuff
Pomegranate
On the Road

Help with non starting

Post by Pomegranate »

Hi. Sorry, I've read through all the previous "Won't Start" threads, but none seem to apply.

I have an electrical gremlin and I think I'm missing something stupid.

Nothing happening on pressing the button

Ignition circuit all functioning. No fault codes showing. Ignition is on, clutch in, sidestand up or down (doesn't matter with clutch in anyway), engine stop switch in run position. Battery charged. No change with additional jump pack.

Solenoid not clicking on the button. No response from shorting the main solenoid terminals.

Battery terminals and earth fine. Have been through the wiring, everything seems to work. Unplugging connectors give the appropriate fault code. All fuses intact. Power Commander switching on as usual.

Before she stopped working, I'd fitted a new throttle assembly to future proof her from replacement cable issues. Rerouted the clutch cable and had the tank and airbox off for access.

TLDR - pressing the starter doesn't make her turn over. Doesn't seem to be getting to the solenoid. Can't short he solenoid either. But can't find any other electrical fault.
I'm having a cup of tea and looking at the circuit diagrams. It feels like there's a something inhibiting it like the clutch switch, but that all seems in order.

Ideas?
andybaggies
On the Road

Re: Help with non starting

Post by andybaggies »

Solenoid not clicking on the button. No response from shorting the main solenoid terminals.
So do you mean the solenoid doesn't work at all?

A wild guess whilst at work, the "tip over" relay - it's mounted somewhere just behind the head stock.

Does the fuel pump whirr into action?
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

Tilt switch was my guess too, might just be worth connecting a 2nd battery as a jump just in case. :(
Twisted Tequila Sister
Pomegranate
On the Road

Post by Pomegranate »

Thanks for the responses.

Definitely not the tilt switch. Rechecked it this afternoon. Getting a C23 code when disconnecting it (as expected) and returning to C00 after reconnection.

However, went back to square one. Bypassed the solenoid altogether and got the starter spinning. With the ignition circuit bodged up, she runs perfectly. So I've isolated it to the started circuit.

Should be plain sailing from here, just a question of being methodical. I'll start at the solenoid and work backwards.

Thanks for the helping a stranded rider!