Fuel filter

General spannery stuff
Widetrak
On the Road

Fuel filter

Post by Widetrak »

Hi folks, I bought a Mahle 145 filter as was recommended by a lot of people and it is a lot larger than the original and doesn’t have the bent inlet on the top part.Have anybody else fitted this same filter and have any idea of the mods needed to make it fit? I don’t really wanna put the old filter back in now the tank is in bits.Also my pump assembly is quite rusty any thoughts on that as well please. I am a key worker and work 20 miles from home and am going to start using my Rappy now the weather has picked up.Hope everybody is keeping well in these crazy days,Thanks Steve
swm
On the Road

Re: Fuel filter

Post by swm »

I decided to refurbish the original filter.
Used a grinder to remove the outer edge of the lip on the filter case to open the case and gain access to the filter element.
Bought a slightly larger filter on-line and removed the element – cut and re-folded this element to make a match for the raptor original.
Used J-B Weld to fix in the new filter element, and also to glue/weld the filter case back together.
I’ll have to pressure test before fitting as the filter is under pressure from the pump, but I’m happy so far (not yet pressure tested).
I already had the J-B Weld, but if this needed to be purchased, the total cost is around £9.
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Post by shebee »

Good fix! Well done! :happyhappy:
Twisted Tequila Sister
swm
On the Road

Post by swm »

Important Update:
The J-B Weld on its own was not strong enough to hold the filter together when pressure tested!!posting.php?mode=reply&f=11&t=5233#
I had to fabricate some pieces of metal to clip and hold the remaining edges of the filter case together when the filter is used under pressure.
The J-B weld looks like it seals the two halves OK, but is not strong enough to hold the two parts together when under pressure from the pump.posting.php?mode=reply&f=11&t=5233#