V Raptor 1000 Fuel Filter Replacement

General spannery stuff
swm
On the Road

V Raptor 1000 Fuel Filter Replacement

Post by swm »

Hi,
V Raptor 2002 Fuel Filter needs replacement.
I was thinking of fitting a replacement 'external' Fuel filter, rather than just replacing it with an Internal filter.
Does anyone have experience of doing this? Are there any known disadvantages that I should be aware of?
Ciao
Widetrak
On the Road

Re: V Raptor 1000 Fuel Filter Replacement

Post by Widetrak »

I attempted this a couple of months ago and bought a Mahle kl145 fuel filter that was supposed to fit & after going through all the ballache of putting it in the pump assembly it didn’t physically fit through the hole in the tank 🤬.A genuine Suzuki item is listed on eBay for about £68 with postage from Japan😳.So I ended up putting the original one back in & will be doing the external filter mod over the winter some time.A guy does a good guide to this on YouTube under ‘tl1000 external fuel filter mod’
swm
On the Road

Post by swm »

Hi,
I'm still looking into this, but I was thinking of something along the line of:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fuel-Filter- ... 0010.m2109
This is for a 1500 fuel injection engine, so flow shouldn't be a problem. Though if the filter is going to go outside the tank I would not need the right-angle bend in the input pipe which means there are more options open.
ciao
Widetrak
On the Road

Post by Widetrak »

Yeah that looks good but I’m going for the external filter mod as I already have the filter,might as well put in new pump whilst in there 🤷‍♀️
swm
On the Road

Post by swm »

Yes, already bought a replacement pump (for TL), looks right, bench tested OK but not tried on bike yet. The bike hasn't been run for 5 years, so I have a list of things I want to check and make sure are right before trying to coax the engine back into life. I'm about half way through the list and this is the last thing I know I need to replace, so not long now.
Ciao
swm
On the Road

Post by swm »

Decided to tear-down original filter, Really bad build up of rust inside that could not have been cleaned by flushing.
I'm going to try a repair so I Just ordered a larger fuel filter element from Ebay, when it comes I'm going to try trimming it to size to replace the original. Worth a try at £4.47.
Ciao