How to drain stale fuel?

General spannery stuff
HiFi
On the Road

How to drain stale fuel?

Post by HiFi »

Hello again :) My Rappy has been sitting for ages with about a fifth of a tank of fuel and I need to drain it out and refill with fresh before I attempt to start it. Can anyone tell me the best way to do this please?
I can see three pipes coming off the bottom of the fuel tank, one must be flow and one return from the fuel injection system I assume? The other I thought must be a drain pipe from the fuel filler cap for water etc, but on second thoughts it might be a fuel drain pipe? I can't really see a valve or whatever to open it up though (it's the pipe that exits on the right hand side under the right footrest and drips onto the ground).
Any pointers please? Also, any thoughts on some kind of additive to add to the first tank to "clean" the pipes so to speak?
Also (also) lol, I've heard that Esso Supreme 99 is good for Rappys as the ethanol content is lower, is it wise to seek that stuff out when filling up do you think?
Many thanks for your help as always!
andybaggies
On the Road

Re: How to drain stale fuel?

Post by andybaggies »

Hifi,

Yep the small one closest to the edge of the tank that is routed to the other side and out & down by the brake lever is a drain pipe from the filler cap. This does get clogged and it is wise to disconnect and clear the pipe & the internal pipe part of the tank.

As you say the other two are the feed and return to the fuel injection system and I'm certain one of them, the feed, has a push click lock thingummybob connector with the return just a push fit/clamp?

I drain the tank by siphoning it - you can get a dirt cheap one from Halfords https://www.halfords.com/tools/hand-too ... 21734.html If you make sure the the pipe is pushed right down to the back of the tank with it tilted up then you pretty much get all of it out. The siphon is not the best and does dribble a little, ho hum... no joking now... :D

For the engine I reckon any old gas will do... but to prevent the dreaded swelling tank other opinions might apply.

Andy B.
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

My Rappy has been sitting for ages with about a fifth of a tank of fuel and I need to drain it out and refill with fresh before I attempt to start it.
Btw - I started my bike after it had been sitting for years.... and the fuel couldn't have been more stale.
HiFi
On the Road

Post by HiFi »

Many thanks andybaggies for your detailed reply. I was overthinking the problem it seems - the simple solution of siphoning it out never even occurred to me :oops: a trip to Halfords it is then!
By the way, what do you actually "do" with stale fuel, I mean how does one dispose of it :?