New to the forum

Make your first post here, say "Hi" and buy a virtual round
Strokersmoke
On the Road

New to the forum

Post by Strokersmoke »

Hi everyone. I’m new to the group.
I Love Italian styling and bikes and recently bought a V-Raptor, virtually untouched with only 4500 miles. I was familiar with the engine, I bought a TL1000S new when they were launched. The mid range tuned Raptor is a lot easier to ride and a pleasure to own after 25+ years of sports bikes.
.......So when an X - Raptor came up for sale locally, I had to buy it as well. There don’t appear to be many left in the UK, but that assumes they are correctly registered. I believe some could be shown as simply “Raptor” on the V5.

Do any Xtra Raptor owners on here mind telling me what the model designation on the VIN is on their bikes please? I believe the standard Raptor is 200 and the V / X versions 201, but it would be good to confirm it.
The first 3 numbers after the first batch of letters are the relevant ones. I don’t want to know the frame number!

Hopefully picking it up tomorrow. I’ll post again and let you know how it goes.
shebee
Site Admin
Facebook address thingy: facebook.com/shebee.duff

Re: New to the forum

Post by shebee »

Welcome to the asylum!
Twisted Tequila Sister
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

Wow, you've certainly caught the bug! And have a penchant for stink-wheels too, it seems. Tried any of Cagiva's 2T offerings? The Planet 125 is a real sweety, and though the Mito is probably cooler, that would demand more of the sports-bike mentality and contortion than I'm up for. It'd make a very nice ornament though... :wink:

Welcome to the Chapter,

Nick, serial Cagiva addict
Strokersmoke
On the Road

Post by Strokersmoke »

Thanks for the welcome. I guess that we are an endangered species, there aren't many left on the roads in the UK.

Yes, I've had a few 2 strokes over the years. The best by far was the 2000 Aprilia RS250. I've never had a better handling bike and in the real world, 70 bhp was more than enough power. It was so good, I bought another, followed by an RGV250 SP. All long gone now.

I collected the Xtra Raptor today and was surprised how different it feels to the V. Mind, it has free breathing cans on it and very well set up suspension thanks to the previous owner, Alex. The front end is particularly good. I spent a couple of hours checking it over, lubing the chain etc.

I'm looking forward to taking it out tomorrow for a decent run!
Kekat
On the Road

Post by Kekat »

Hi

Welcome to the site

My X raptor vin starts with 201.

Keith
Strokersmoke
On the Road

Post by Strokersmoke »

Thanks Keith, that confirmed the information I had.
I've managed a couple of rides on the bike now and am really impressed.
I'm going through the boxes and bags of bits that came with the bike. Sadly, the steering damper which had been removed has two fractured brackets. I believe it's a common fault with the X and I'd be surprised if replacements are available. I think it's a project for my engineer friends to come up with the best solution!
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

Just idle curiosity, but was the steering damper ever a useful addition to this model, unless the rider was given to popping wheelies? I've not noticed any tendency to wobble in 'normal' riding, except when the steering-head bearings on the 650 were shot! :shock:

Nick
Aussiejoe
On the Road

Post by Aussiejoe »

Strokersmoke wrote: 3 years ago standard Raptor is 200 and the V / X versions 201
Welcome Strokersmoke, your VIN numbers are correct, as shown on the first page of the parts manual http://img.webike.net/sys_images/genuin ... 5-2003.pdf
Aussiejoe
On the Road

Post by Aussiejoe »

nickst4 wrote: 3 years ago I've not noticed any tendency to wobble in 'normal' riding
My 650 carby model never shook it's head in a straight line, but hit a big bump mid corner when leant over, and it'd throw a mad tank slapper. Never had a bike do it on the lean. Raising the back end or hardening up the rear suspension should sort that problem out. The 650 IE may of also have a change to the steering rake angle.
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

I've not noticed any tendency to wobble in 'normal' riding
On the V Raptor I had a full blown uncontrollable tank slapper that spat me off and broke my collarbone. I was just bimbling along short shifting when I hit a bump.... :shock:

It was subsequently noticed the previous owner (ex-demo) had turned the internal pre-load adjusters upside down and screwed the damping rods way up. The effect of this was to seriously reduce the available fork travel, possibly over increase the pre-load and of course to lower the front end.
Sadly, the steering damper which had been removed has two fractured brackets. I believe it's a common fault with the X and I'd be surprised if replacements are available. I think it's a project for my engineer friends to come up with the best solution!
From what I recall the X has ready made lugs on the front of the lower triple clamp which may make things easier. I fitted one to a V , underneath the clocks and inside the fairing and it was a right old pain see https://www.raptorchapter.org.uk/viewto ... per#p34016

Good to hear you're enjoying the X and from an ex RS250 owner it's praise indeed. Are the forks standard ?
Strokersmoke
On the Road

Post by Strokersmoke »

Thanks for all the replies. I’m pleased about the VIn number information. I had struggled to find anything.

The handling of the X Is good. The forks are the standard adjustable ones and the shock is an Ohlins. I have the standard rear unit but it’s in need of a serious refurb. The X is completely different to the V the road and feels far mor planted and stable.

The only handling issue I’ve noticed so far is a slight tendency to run wider than anticipated in the turn, but that’s probably rider error and perhaps needs a little more throttle applying.

I’ve hardly ridden the V but it has the tendency to skip the front wheel at the slightest provocation, so with a the decent power output and current weight distribution, it wouldn’t take much of a mid corner bump to upset things.

More good weather required!
andybaggies
On the Road

Post by andybaggies »

I’ve hardly ridden the V but it has the tendency to skip the front wheel at the slightest provocation, so with a the decent power output and current weight distribution, it wouldn’t take much of a mid corner bump to upset things
My slapper (fnarr, fnarr) didn't even happen on a corner :o I was just bimbling along a straight first thing in the morning. Not an advisable way to be woken up either.

But I get what you're saying cus the V's OE front forks are erm... quite basic in their action. Which is why I gave up on them and have swapped the internals for a Matris all singing & dancing fork kit. Fully adjustable and they have made a considerable difference - like you say planted & stable with a lot more confidence when pitching into the corners. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Matris-F20K- ... 3926330481