New bike.

Technical stuff specific to the Raptor 1000
wdavie
On the Road

New bike.

Post by wdavie »

Hi all. I’m due to pick up a 2002 bike next week and I know it needs a few bits, throttle tube and gear lever, front mudguard. I’m having no luck on eBay and wondered if there’s anywhere that might stock or sell these bits. Thanks in advance. Wayne
nickst4
On the Road

Re: New bike.

Post by nickst4 »

Welcome to the group, and you should find the bike is definitely worth investing in!

If you can get access to a parts manual and find part numbers, you may be able to locate stuff in Europe, but I doubt there's much lying around in the UK. I may be wrong, but I don't know of any specific Cagiva dealers in the UK. There may be some overlap with Suzuki TL1000 parts that can help you for the bits you mention, and likely more of those for sale second-hand on ebay.

Hopefully, someone else here can be more helpful.

Good luck with the project!

Nick
wdavie
On the Road

Post by wdavie »

Thanks Nick. I’ve found somewhere in Europe that I can get the plastics from but will be about 300 euros. Gear change lever might be same as Suzuki TL so I might try one of those.
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

Wayne,
Is the gear lever present and bent, or snapped and you have the bits? You can straighten it with judicious heat and/or repair it with the low-temperature 'brazing' stuff that used to be called Lumiweld. I have a Lumiwelded lever on my Cagiva Alazzurra that has lasted for twenty years and is still perfect.
Straightening is best done slowly, coating the lever in soft soap and heating it until the soap goes black. More heat than that and you'll have a silver puddle!

Nick
wdavie
On the Road

Post by wdavie »

I don’t think the lever is present. I’m picking bike up Monday so will do a full assessment then. Thanks
wdavie
On the Road

Post by wdavie »

Picked the bike up today and couldn’t get the dashboard to light up, bike started by jumping the solenoid but not from the button. Checked fusebox and all good, is there a hidden fuse somewhere, the bike has a cheap aftermarket headlight fitted, could this be causing some issues, otherwise happy with purchase, just need to source missing parts now.
wdavie
On the Road

Post by wdavie »

331285B0-7F93-4D93-B941-797C8C496387.jpeg
331285B0-7F93-4D93-B941-797C8C496387.jpeg (177.09 KiB) Viewed 3238 times
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

Why do I think I've seen a green-framed Raptor before? It wouldn't be Craigfell's bike that got pranged, by any chance? Checking back on the Rusty Work Hoss thread, it looks awfully similar...

Nick
wdavie
On the Road

Post by wdavie »

Hi Nick. Yes that’s the bike. It has some damage to the tank and obvious signs of accident damage, broken lever and gear change lever but the bike was very cheap so I decided to take a punt.
nickst4
On the Road

Post by nickst4 »

Hi Wayne,

I'm not sure whether you'll really want to know, but we all followed the saga of Craig's Raptor and all it's ills, which were bravely addressed by The Man, until it finally threw a wobbly and he said enough was enough. Rather you than me to resurrect it again! :shock:

Nick
sidrat
On the Road

Post by sidrat »

At least you have access to the history of the bike on here :D

Well done for rescuing it!
Roadsters are me!